Amlayse Inhibition For Fat Loss

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I came across an article in a recent paper that passed through my university yesterday about treating obesity with enzymes and plant extracts instead of, and alongside of, the usual calorie restricted diet and exercise programmes.
Basically they used certain compounds (Alpha-AI1)extracts (White Kidney Bean/Phase 2 and Chlorogenic Acid) and enzymes (Prevotella bacteria) that blocked or reduced the effects of the Amlayse enzyme.
"Amlayse is the enzyme responsible for the breakdown, digestion and absorbtion of carbohydrates."
"By blocking and/or reducing the effects of the Amlayse enzyme the amount of carbohydrates that are broken down and absorbed is significantly reduced,
Instead they are passed through the body via the natural systems unabsorbed and then excreted."

Now this could lead to weight loss by
1)Reducing the amount calories absorbed from the undigested carbohydrates
2)Reducing the insulin response via a reduction of sugars from the undigested carbohydrates entering the bloodstream

Does anybody have any experiences with these so called "Carb Blockers" or extracts in regards to weight loss?

Thoughts, Experiences And Responses will be repped.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My personal experience with phase 2 is mitigated fat gain but massive bloat.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Preventing "breakdown, digestion and absorbtion of carbohydrates"....

Why not just eat less? If you want to feel full, water and psyllium husk. All this "carb blocker" stuff seems so "90's". Don't eat carbs then? Replace carbs with protein? (expensive). Block carbs = not getting the benefit of carbs (cortisol modulation, protein sparing, satiety, Thermogenic Effect from Food, energy, "pump" etc...).

Carbs heat me up like a mofo - more than protein.

I was a fat mf'er - never used GDA or "blockers" and dropped ~85lbs eating carbs.

Ah well YMMV...

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why not just eat less? If you want to feel full, water and psyllium husk. All this "carb blocker" stuff seems so "90's". Don't eat carbs then? Replace carbs with protein? (expensive). Block carbs = not getting the benefit of carbs (cortisol modulation, protein sparing, satiety, Thermogenic Effect from Food, energy, "pump" etc...
I totally agree with you. I just found it to be a really interesting read and thought I'd see what other forum members thought.
The Phase 2+Calorie Restricted Diet group lost an additional 6.5lbs over the Calorie Restricted Diet Only group, now that's quite a considerable amount from a natutal extract tbh.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I totally agree with you. I just found it to be a really interesting read and thought I'd see what other forum members thought.
The Phase 2+Calorie Restricted Diet group lost an additional 6.5lbs over the Calorie Restricted Diet Only group, now that's quite a considerable amount from a natutal extract tbh.
...because the Phase 2 group was even *more* restricted energy wise (if it really does work). If it's possible to figure out how much energy the Phase 2 was blocking - I think you'd find the net energy consumption was a couple hundred calories less than even the restriction only group.

Just eat less carbs = saves money OR use a supplement to block carbs = costs money.

My point was you're basically spending money to get less energy... when you can just eat less energy :D

And as always....

Disclosures
This research was made possible by a
grant from Pharmachem Laboratories, and was
presented as an abstract at the October 10, 2003
American Society of Bariatric Physicians Annual
Meeting. The corresponding author discloses that
he has ongoing research support from
Pharmachem Laboratories, the manufacturer of
Phase 2, and has provided consulting services to
Pharmachem Laboratories. The authors do not
have any financial interest in Pharmachem Labo-
ratories, the Phase 2 product, or any other com-
mercial product.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...because the Phase 2 group was even *more* restricted energy wise (if it really does work). If it's possible to figure out how much energy the Phase 2 was blocking - I think you'd find the net energy consumption was a couple hundred calories less than even the restriction only group.

Just eat less carbs = saves money OR use a supplement to block carbs = costs money.

My point was you're basically spending money to get less energy... when you can just eat less energy :D

And as always....
Again, I totally agree.
The cost to benefit ratio will depend on peoples realistic budget, dedication and self disipline obviously. But that is the same with most lines of supplements outside of the basics. Supplements aren't neccessary but they can help speed things along and make gaining or cutting a little easier.
However, this Carb/Calorie blocking trail of supplementation has sparked my interest though, especially in regards to the possible reduced insulin response from carbohydrate intake. Because as we know, the body won't burn fat in the presence on insulin and keeping blood glucose low whilst cutting is beneficial, especially if on keto.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Don't fear insulin - protein spikes it too - keto is no better than any other fatloss strategy when energy equated - tons of people lose fat eating carbs/"spiking insulin" 'cuz "it's the deficit, not the macro makeup", etc... But I don't want to keep going back and forth, we can agree to disagree - enjoy the "blockers" :D

Reactions: Nac