Sweeteners, Aspartame

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
Hey guys. I'm wondering what you think about starting to use aspartam. Like in some of the foods, to get something for the sweet tooth here and there.
As I can drink Coke Zero during my cut, I want to be able to add some sweeteners to my coffe, maybe to some other things like oatmeal or other foods. Maybe bake with 1:1 sweeteners instead of sugar! (I never bake).
What I know is that Coke Zero for instance has an amount of aspartame in it, that you'd need to drink 9 cans or so, to get to the danger zone (or actually outside the EU recommendations) per day basis. So 9 cans each day should be fine, which is ridicoulusly much and insane, but what I'm saying is, all sweeteners might not be that bad, and we maybe should take advantage of them more ofter? Any ideas?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I use aspartame all the time in my oats I don't use sugar at all anymore unless I feel like completely jumping out of my way of healthy eating and crave something stupid like Mississippi mud cookies or something lol.... but I don't see anything wrong with it and at times I might use it to much but it still has to be better than cane sugar in my opinion...

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you considered Stevia instead of Aspartame? Stevia is a natural non-nutrative/zero calorie sweetener.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No actually not! Is it good?
As I said, it's a natural leaf extract from the rebaudiana plant. It has little to no effect on insulin levels/insulin responses and cannot be digested/absorbed by the human body and therefore cannot provide any nutrative or calorific value. Be careful of which extract you purchase as the sweetness varies between 30x and 320x that of regular table sugar.
It is perfectly safe for human consumption as deemed by the FDA since 2011 but has been used as a natural sweetener by the Japanese for decades.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Stevia would probably be a better choice as aspartame can be bad for some people. Such as my wife, who has MS, her Neuro told her to stay clear of Aspartame. Not sure why, I would have to do more research or ask the wife as I am sure she has done the research. Lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Have you considered Stevia instead of Aspartame? Stevia is a natural non-nutrative/zero calorie sweetener.
So Apparently from the wife and her research and her Neuro Aspartame is bad for everyone, especially for people with low immune system's. So if your not low immune I guess your ok..but not according to her Neuro, not anyone should take Aspartame

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stevia is a solid option, but note that when you add too much it can actually taste bitter. I think that would be the best way to describe it. Most stevia products only contain a small amount of Steviosides (and some have other ingredients besides stevia), while some bulk stevia extract powders can have up to/at least 90% Steviosides, so the amount of powder needed can vary greatly.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So Apparently from the wife and her research and her Neuro Aspartame is bad for everyone, especially for people with low immune system's. So if your not low immune I guess your ok..but not according to her Neuro, not anyone should take Aspartame
Aspartame has been linked to numerous health issues. Aspartame, unlike stevia, can be digested/absorbed by the human body. Digestion on Aspartame causes neurotoxicity by increasing blood levels of glutamate which has been shown to kill off certain neurons within the brain.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Aspartame has been linked to numerous health issues. Aspartame, unlike stevia, can be digested/absorbed by the human body. Digestion on Aspartame causes neurotoxicity by increasing blood levels of glutamate which has been shown to kill off certain neurons within the brain.
Which would be very bad for anyone with MS, but Very Bad for Everyone

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The dose typically makes the poison. I'm not suggesting drinking multiple servings of aspartame containing beverages daily, but I wouldn't worry about having one or two every once in while (assuming no medical issues/conditions), especially if it's all that's available or is offered to you. That said, it's not my ideal sweetener, or something I go out of my way to have/buy.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stevia and maltodextrin sugar replacements for the win. Great value big bags, for like $6. Way better than aspartame, sucralose, etc...

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Artificial sweeteners have also been linked to the current obesity trend in. this country.

Your body still has an insulin response, because your brain believes it is taking in something sweet.
and even though not taking in any calories, your still getting the unwanted side effects of a high
sugar diet

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Stevia has a good flavor and is zero calories. It’s a better option than using more artificial options.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stevia and xylitol are better options. Be careful with overconsumption of stevia if you're trying to conceive tho...

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
Why? And how much is too much haha. What is a reasonable price? 5$ for a small bottle is what I find, 50ml, but I dont know how long that would last.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Artificial sweeteners have also been linked to the current obesity trend in. this country.

Your body still has an insulin response, because your brain believes it is taking in something sweet.
and even though not taking in any calories, your still getting the unwanted side effects of a high
sugar diet

This was my belief as well. Between my BCAA's, powdered stims, protein powder, PWO's, and occasional coffee with sucralose, I think my summer cut was hindered by all this junk given that they all contain artificial sweeteners. When one is trying to lose weight, it is recommended to get rid of all that and just consume pure water. It is supposed to make a huge impact. Easier said than done for me as I love all those supplements!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea I would say you're trying to cut getting rid of those artificial sweeteners would be a good idea like said above.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I started eating artificial crap in the 70's with Sweet 'n' Low - I remember the cancer fear mongering back then, LOL. I don't believe they are to worry about, but others do and we all have the data we make our decision from - cool beans. I'm lazy - I just grab a $6 big bag of Monk Fruit from Walmart, and call it a day. Sweet, and natty - good enough for me.

ManuR

Awards
  • Established

sugar diet

tons of studies proving otherwise.
Aspartame will not lead to an insulin response.. there was even a study showing that ppl lost more weight when they drank diet soda+water instead of water only (the diet soda curbed their sweet tooth without insulin respnse and added sugar..)

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
tons of studies proving otherwise.
Aspartame will not lead to an insulin response.. there was even a study showing that ppl lost more weight when they drank diet soda+water instead of water only (the diet soda curbed their sweet tooth without insulin respnse and added sugar..)
Cancer and a disrupted gut biome will for sure help people lose weight. Also weight isn't a reliable biomarker for health

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Walmart "Great Value Brand" big bags for $6 and $8 respectively. It's a white easy to mix powder subsitute. Maltodextrin and Stevia blend.

I've been looking for this for years, first real value brand Stevia 0 calorie sweetener in bulk I can eat on fruit, mix for iced tea, coffee, etc.

It really helped my pet ectodragon, cut sugar drop from 19% to 13% BF on eat smart scale... on his last Ostarine cut after a DMZ dirty bulk before.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody have any conclusive research or experience with sodium saccharin, in regards to it's safety or effects on blood sugar/insulin levels?