Slowing down isolate absorbtion

Adamcook

Adamcook

Awards
Hey guys, due to recently becoming lactose intolerant I have made the decision to switch to isolate as my go to protein.
Since I can't drink casein anymore I was wondering if there was some kind of powder I could add with my isolate to slow down the absorbtion and cover me for at least 6 hours at bedtime

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Came in to say whole milk but you are lactose intolerant
Carbs like stated above

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you don;t want an isolate maybe look into something like San Raw Fusion. IT has a decent profile

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
Do half Whey Isolate and half liquid egg whites. Add nat peanut butter or avocado oil and some psyllium husk fiber.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I often add cinnamon (lowers potential insuline spike caused by the super fast isolate) and either nuts, nut butters or oils (olive, coconut, macadamia etc). Any fats will slow down the digestion/assimilation.

I often add lactose free greek yogurt or lactose free cottage cheese, as I can't take casein powders, but those products contain big amounts of casein while being lactose free. Hope it helps!

xo0ox

xo0ox

Awards
psyllium husk fiber (as said before) and fats slow down absorption.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Or if not still take a scoop of casein and take a lactase pill. They are very effective.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
If they did I'd buy it NOW.

PS: lactase pills don't work on me
They didn’t work because you didn’t take enough!
Try more than one. A few. If you have to pop toke 4 tablets in a blender with the casein.

The reason they don’t work for you is due to “timing issues”. Meaning the pills have to be broken down and the enzyme released at just the right time to deal with the lactose you drink. It’s very hard to take them at the same time without either taking them a few mins before or blending them together. But see below for easier options.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
My best next suggestion would be to purchase lactaid milk and mix that with the whey. It’s guaranteed lactose free milk. Tastes a little off but still good. I was drinking it for a while

The company literally dumps in the lactase enzyme and makes sure that all (or over 99.9% has been enzymatically cleaved) leaving you with glucose and galactose. So you will have no lactose to bother you in that milk. Mixed with whey. Bam. Perfect simple convenient midnight solution.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I have never been lactose intolerant in my life. With the exception of around GI viral infections. They can sometimes knock off or damage the lactase enzyme in the brush border. During those times I have relied on lactase milk since I am a milk addict

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
you can buy digestive enzymes to deal with lactose intolerance or you could mix your powder with lactose free milk

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you consume a fat source with the isolate you should be fine. Isolates digest quickly by themselves, but if you add in so coconut oil, peanut butter, or nuts with your bedtime shake that will help to slow the digestion

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Add some fats to the shake, my favorite is coconut oil but olive oil would work

however the beauty of isolate is because it's so fast, why want to slow it down?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you consume a fat source with the isolate you should be fine. Isolates digest quickly by themselves, but if you add in so coconut oil, peanut butter, or nuts with your bedtime shake that will help to slow the digestion
Add some fats to the shake, my favorite is coconut oil but olive oil would work

however the beauty of isolate is because it's so fast, why want to slow it down?
this. adding fats is the easiest and most effective way.

2 tbsp PB with any shake ftw.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Though overvblown you can test how fast the aminos enter bloodstream by measuring blood sugar. Peak is at least an hour out, closer to 2 according to Tim Ferris

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Though overvblown you can test how fast the aminos enter bloodstream by measuring blood sugar. Peak is at least an hour out, closer to 2 according to Tim Ferris
oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying ppl need to relax on worrying about it so much

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
oh I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying ppl need to relax on worrying about it so much
Yeah. What matters most (unless you are competing physique or BBing I suppose) is the general average over a period of days to weeks not a few hours here and there. Hit the MACROS. Besides that it’s just too stressful trying to time it all perfectly (for me anyway).

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys, due to recently becoming lactose intolerant I have made the decision to switch to isolate as my go to protein.
Since I can't drink casein anymore I was wondering if there was some kind of powder I could add with my isolate to slow down the absorbtion and cover me for at least 6 hours at bedtime
Micellar casein should have about the same amount of lactose as Whey Isolate.

Adding fat won't help....

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pea protein should work well.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Isolate has way less lactose than casein
It appears so

Oddly, casein has higher lactose content than milk protein concentrate, ~3% vs ~2% respectively, so somehow removing the whey from the MPC leaves the casein and most/all the lactose. Milk protein isolate has 1.5%. There are solo such products from California Gold Nutrition that list their lactose content on the labels and the lowest is their whey isolate with 1%. The casein isolate in Kasein claims less than a gram of lactose per serving which is still much more than 1%.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd invest in not worrying about speed of digestion.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
just rely on good old fashioned milk thats lactose free.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just a "me too": Eat meat and/or don't worry about it.