Does anyone NOT take a preworkout before a workout?

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
I found myself not being able to sleep very well last night at all because I took some Mesomorph before my workout at around 5:30 pm.

I really don't want to work out without my preworkout, but if some of the veterans here do it, maybe I can take some advice.

Any of you guys workout without a preworkout supplement?

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I found myself not being able to sleep very well last night at all because I took some Mesomorph before my workout at around 5:30 pm.

I really don't want to work out without my preworkout, but if some of the veterans here do it, maybe I can take some advice.

not sure if i can link this... Delete if needed... (its not a source)

https://supplementreviews.com/the-genius-brand/genius-pre-workout-caffeine-free

but i would take a look at this product man

Laxarcher13

Laxarcher13

Awards
I'm in on this. I'm the same way If I go to the gym with out it my workout will suck. I end up being that crack head saying "hey man you got some pre workout?" I can't go lifting with out some pwo I know it's not healthy but my workout will just suck.

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was very pleased with this product, and I love the idea of working out late and securing my sleep with a non-caffeinated Pre-Workout. This product is absolutely a contender for being anyone's go-to pre-workout, and because it has no caffeine..it should and will be enticing for many.
see above

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
A Pre-workout is not needed to have a good workout. Do the ingredients have an effect to help improve a workout? Absolutely, but they are not necessary that is why they are called "Supplements". These are made to help supplement your diet and training routine.

If you eat properly to fuel your workout = Plenty of fuel to sustain energy, focus, and a good workout
Get plenty of sleep = Good amount of energy to help your workout
Change your mental mindset to go lift, and improve = setting yourself up for a great workout.

A powder or pill should not dictate how well you workout, you have to be internally motivated to workout and enjoy the hobby of lifting weights. I lift 90% of the year without a pre-workout because that way when I do use them they are more effective. OP Could look into ergogenic aids to help with performance and endurance especially training later at night, or possibly a non-stim pre-workout (but again not 100% necessary to have a great workout)

Ergogenic's:
PES Ergonine & Iforce Finish Line come to mind. Powermax XT which I am using now is also a great product which very high doses you could use pre/intra workout and sip on.

Non-Stim:
Scivation Quake Non-Stim (Currently Buy One Get 1 Free), Noxygen (Purus Labs $14 currently), PES High Volume. But again these are not 100% necessary.

What does your pre-workout nutrition look like? Are you well hydrated? Those are 2 huge factors to set yourself up for a great workout without taking a pre powder. I would just focus on consuming the bulk of your carbs pre, and possibly adding some HBCD or intra-workout carbs during your training to keep your endurance and performance up, then follow up with a nice post-workout meal to cap your calories for the day.

Aust

Aust

Awards
I have had good success with MRM Driven as a pre, have notice a difference when I don't use a pre. It might only be 2-3 reps out 15, but it gets me my full 15.

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
Hey man, I've been using Mesomorph every workout for my last like 35 workouts, and I know what you say! First day I took it, I couldn't sleep, second too. But it's about when u take it! Everything has a half-life time (idk how y say iy in english) but for instance, if u get 100mg caffeine, in a certain amount of hours, its 50mg, then 25mg.... so you can look up caffeine and DMAA 1,3, and calculate it. Or, just workout earlier in the day. I find that when I work out 17:00 or earlier, I can sleep well, and that's when I sleep around 01.30 or so. So 5.5 hours if I'm right, will do it for me. But for today or many other days, I train around 15.00 and sleep around 02 haha. And my workouts have been ridiculously insane bro

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Never taken a pre workout, train fasted around 6am and consume oats approx 1.5 hours before 2nd session at 6pm.

Ray Donovan

Awards
I workout sometimes at 4PM and go to bed at 8pm....so I take a scoop of Mesomorph at about 1PM. You don't have to take it exactly 45 minutes before the workout, and you don't have to take exactly 1.0000000000000 scoops. It's ok to take half a scoop or even 0.50000000001 scoops. ;)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've barely ever used a pre-workout. I think a lot of it is placebo, it's kind of the thing to do nowadays. Some of the ingredients may have a positive effect on the workout, but they aren't necessary to take before the workout even for this to happen - Beta Alanine for instance. This ingredient doesn't help your workout just because you took it before you went to workout...just take it for a few weeks and let it build up in your system and it will have the same effect.

Agmatine, Citrulline, Glycerol, etc. - if you want the pump, etc. - these won't keep you awake.

Sometimes I take preworkouts, it can be fun, and once you drink it you kind of feel committed - but I workout more without it than I do with it.

JahCure

JahCure

Awards
The only time i take my preworkout (focus xt) is if I feel like I'm completely dragging. I try not to allow myself to become reliant on it.

Sometimes if needed I'll just drink half of a kombucha before hand and I'm good to go, otherwise proper pre workout nutrition (no carbs) and my music fuel my training.

pro45

Awards
Never done a pre workout. My best pre workout has been my mind. And I won 3 natural pro cards my 25 year competitive career.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
SNS makes bulk supplements at affordable prices. Some of the aforementioned products mentioned are agmatine, beta alanine, and citrulline, in the form of citrulline malate.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Personally I don;t use to many PWO. I have a BP issue. I use them more intra to keep energy levels going towards the end of my workout.

Ursa Major

Awards
If you don't want the cracked out feel, caffiene free preworkouts or good ol bcaas should be ok. Or even something like celltech should be good for preworkout. But 2 cups of green tea works for me it might make you piss a little frequent during the work out but its usually first two weeks then your body is used to it.

pro45

Awards
If you don't want the cracked out feel, caffiene free preworkouts or good ol bcaas should be ok. Or even something like celltech should be good for preworkout. But 2 cups of green tea works for me it might make you piss a little frequent during the work out but its usually first two weeks then your body is used to it.
BCAA's wold be a complete waste of money, and counterproductive if you hit your protein intake for the 24 hour period.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

SNS Focus-XT caffeine free with some SNS Agmatine sulfate and SNS citrulline Malate. I've used this multiple times when training later in the evening.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes and no. Definitely won't die without one, but sometimes use one as I workout at 4.30am on lifting days. Afternoon speed or cardio sessions I avoid pre's as they mess with my sleep as well.

Sometimes I use them on days i'm really dragging, and I use it to change my mindset from 'tired' to, 'workout mode'., rather than for any real performance benefit.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
I've never taken a pre-workout and don't have any future plans to do so. I see way too many people using them as a crutch or a deciding factor in whether or not they work out, or whether their session is sub-par or great. I always shake my head when I see those 20-something year old fitness bloggers on youtube who can't lift without mixing a Monster with some prewo. It's all personal conditioning....and social conditioning too.

I certainly don't look down on anybody who chooses to use them, though. If somebody believes they need a pwo to train, I suppose it's better than not training at all.

My best sessions always seem to come when I'm beat tired and running on minimal sleep. I seem to be able to focus myself more, and then take it up a notch and push myself. We're certainly all different in the way we respond to the factors around us, so I'm okay with the knowledge that some people feel that they need them for an extra boost sometimes. As a crutch or a deciding factor, certainly not.

I seem to have good weight sessions when I consume a light meal 90 minutes before training, consisting of complex carbs, whey protein, and some healthy fats. Fasted morning cardio almost always gives me a great energy boost for the day.

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sns focus xt is best "mild" caffeine based pre workout. Just use half scoop. Mesomorph is about strongest on the market. DMAA for me has to be taken at LEAST 5 hrs from going to bed.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I train start my training anywhere from 6:00pm-8:00pm, and have to be awake between 4:30am-6:00am depending on where I'm working, so night late night stims for me.

I stack Triumph+High Volume. Gets the job done for me.

sandpig

sandpig

Awards
  • Established
Not needed
Sometimes I use one, other times I don't.

I remember when there was no such thing as a pre-workout drink

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The problem with PWO is addiction. Train your mind well and stay out of it for a while. You'll know you don't need them to get a good workout. I only take a PWO on my Leg day and back day (sometimes).

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I haven't been using one for energy for a while now. I'll drink coffee in the morning and I have a couple weak pre workouts that I do take before the gym but only to get rid of my caffeine headaches before training, but I get nothing from them energy wise. if I have drank coffee beforehand, then I am perfectly fine without using one.

I do train fasted a lot of times so a good pump pre workout would be helpful.

The majority of energy focused products either flat out do nothing, or make me sick with too much stimulant feeling.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The problem with PWO is addiction. Train your mind well and stay out of it for a while. You'll know you don't need them to get a good workout. I only take a PWO on my Leg day and back day (sometimes).
Dependence seems to be a more accurate term here IMO, but that's not really the point of this thread I suppose.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dependence seems to be a more accurate term here IMO, but that's not really the point of this thread I suppose.
I am trying to show people the difference between dependency and addiction when possible, I think it's a good idea to start separating them and using the terms correctly. Yes this isn't the point of the thread but I see no issue with you interjecting that comment. Lol

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I really don't want to work out without my preworkout, but if some of the veterans here do it, maybe I can take some advice. Any of you guys workout without a preworkout supplement?
I use a pre-workout for my pre-workout. I drink my coffee while my pre-workout quietly sits there commingling with the water, and added ingredients like taurine. It's a ritual that gets me going at 4:30am. If I didn't start my pre-workout routine that early, I might skip it most of the time, if taking it at all, but it really does give me focus, and motivation. (Walk through a brick wall kind). Don't get me wrong with the pre-pre workout. I half-scoop.

I remember when my gym door wouldn't open and I already had my pre-workout. I was really angry... and motivated. Not good. The manager told me to text him next time at any hour and he'd come out to open me. The kid who closed forgot and turned the computer off that controls the doors. I think he gave me a year's membership for free. I have yet to get a bill, and my key fob still works, so I won't complain.

Back to the topic. To answer your question. I like it because my workout only takes 45 minutes, and I make it count.

Edit: I should admit. I have a few tubs of BLOODSHOT hanging out, and I use it very sparingly. Of course our new Stim based Pre-workout TRUSTIM is amazing, especially when combined with TRUPUMP, or just have TRUPUMP by itself after your covfefe?

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are so many lower-stim preworkouts that might not keep you awake for as long as Mesomorph. Mesomorph is near the top of the food chain energy-wise, and you may find that you can use something more moderately stimmed in the evening and still sleep fine (or you could even try a half dose of Meso and see how that treats you).

If you want to go non-stim altogether, there's a few different routes you can go.

You could go entirely preworkout free. Maybe have a small carb-heavy snack before working out. Maybe even have a small cup of coffee for some energy but keeping stims lower than Mesomorph.

You could try something with ergogenic benefits. Tr1umph is stim-free, yet offers ingredients that help with strength and body composition. While the majority of compounds contained in Tr1umph can be used any time of day, there are a few that are best used preworkout for optimal benefits. This is usually the route I go when I don't want stims (and there are times when I use Tr1umph + caffeine pill for a stimmed workout too).

You could try something non-stim but pump-heavy. We will be releasing Ep1logue very soon, which combines Vaso6, (-)-epicatechin, and urolithin B for pump + natural anabolic benefits. If you can't wait, PEScience has High Volume and Gaspari has PlasmaJet (PlasmaJet is low-stim rather than non-stim).

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn plasma jet is probably best low stim pre workout! I forgot about that. Was thinking about powdered pre's

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're right.. But, still sticking to the point. OP needs to see how he trains without a PWO. PWO is an accessory and not a necessity. He is asking if people train without a PWO (guessing that he wants to know if you can still be as motivated and focused)

JAMES1980

JAMES1980

Awards
You're right.. But, still sticking to the point. OP needs to see how he trains without a PWO. PWO is an accessory and not a necessity. He is asking if people train without a PWO (guessing that he wants to know if you can still be as motivated and focused)
Agree. I interpreted OP statements in the same way as jtmass.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Stimulants are the only problem in a PrWO. You don't need them. AAMF, if you have to *really* put your strength to good (life saving?) use in the real world - you ain't gonna know to down stimulants before the car slips off the jack :D

Other stuff in them is fine though - like the 'looking better, and better' Citrulline Malate, etc... just get some bulk stuff (Nootropics too) and put it in Crystal Lite or like SOLUTION said, an Ergonine like product.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No PWO here, but I do take citrulline, creatine, and rhodiola. PWOs crack me out and I cannot get into the right mental state when I feel hyper.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
yes pretty much this.

although I appreciate everyone recommending non-stim ones. i am looking into Transparent Labs' Pre series.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
100% agree that its NOT necessary. Are there benefits? Sure. What you need to weigh is the cost:benefit... Is losing a nights sleep costing you more than what you were able to gain in the gym? A rep here and there probably is way less effective vs a good nights rest in the big picture.

Just getting in the gym and putting in SOME work is a positive step for sure.

For me, there's plenty of days I train without a pre. I travel for a living so its not convenient to have to take a bunch of stuff all over the world with me all the time so plenty of my training is done on nothing. As well, theres days I 100% need a good ol fashioned kick to get moving (early AM) or to keep up after a long day. Its all about finding the balance between good lifts and good recovery. We all know the gym itself is only part of the formula of building muscle and being lean.

There's plenty of good low and non-stim options on the market tho as well for the days when you need a little something:
some options - beta alanine (the tingles can be a nice "feel" to get you moving without actual stims), agmatine (pumps/gda), noopept xt (focus), focus xt (regular is low-moderate stim, caffiene free for non), citrulline (pumps), etc etc. Lots to choose from based on what you need and what.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

On lifting days I use gamer up which has 125 mgs caffiene, some l tyrosine and l taurine (2 grams each) Thats plenty for me.

On non lifting days like yesterday I did 200 mgs caffeine on empty stomach and did 20 minutes interval cardio, then six hours later did arms , no pre workout needed, I ate some carbs an hour or so before pre workout and that was plenty for energy

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100% agree that its NOT necessary. Are there benefits? Sure. What you need to weigh is the cost:benefit... Is losing a nights sleep costing you more than what you were able to gain in the gym? A rep here and there probably is way less effective vs a good nights rest in the big picture.
I like that you brought up this point. Spot on.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Stimulants are the only problem in a PrWO. You don't need them. AAMF, if you have to *really* put your strength to good (life saving?) use in the real world - you ain't gonna know to down stimulants before the car slips off the jack :D

Other stuff in them is fine though - like the 'looking better, and better' Citrulline Malate, etc... just get some bulk stuff (Nootropics too) and put it in Crystal Lite or like SOLUTION said, an Ergonine like product.
Shouldn't be working under a car without axle stands anyway ;)

ESLW

Awards
Can't stand preworkout. Haven't taken it in years. Everyone responds differently. Caffeine makes me anxious and ruins my workout. Just my 2 cents.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't stand preworkout. Haven't taken it in years. Everyone responds differently. Caffeine makes me anxious and ruins my workout. Just my 2 cents.
Hey man good for you, they arnt needed. My first few years I didnt use pre workouts and in the "offseason" never used them. Now I take a little bit.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Arnold and all those giants back in the golden era didn't have all these fancy preworkouts. Nothing but a good ole cup of coffee.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Arnold and all those giants back in the golden era didn't have all these fancy preworkouts. Nothing but a good ole cup of coffee.
And oral steroids.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I don't take pre workout much anymore. Maybe a scoop of some weak stuff I got from frys, every so often.
Guess after 17 years of it I've gotten bored with it.
Now If someone came out with some cool flavors, like a Red Bull flavored pre, that'd be cool.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I also take basically bulk Citrulline and add stims if needed. I do have things like caffeine, higenamine, Kigelia Africana extract, Ma Huang, Yohimbine, etc. also at hand, but I rarely use them nowadays.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Ive gone a few years without taking a preworkout and I had fine workouts. These days I am using a lower stim preworkout (150mg MAX) and I have noticed better performance and what not then when I was not using a pre.

I do not think a preworkout is a necessary supplement. If you feel like you do need energy to lift, grab a cup of coffee

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use non stim almost 95% off the time now. High Volume or Vasomax depending on what tub I have open. If I'm really not feeling it, I'll do half scoop HyperMax XT or cap of NootropiMax with my non stim for a boost.

For a few years I was too dependent on high stims. Then I'd get to gym and be so stimmed out my workouts would suck anyways.