My problem with Intra Workouts

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Hey there! Yesterday I tried an intra-wo for the first time, specifically this product which seems very complete, it's Granite Recovery Factor X (new Meadows company):

RFX-Facts.jpg

I was just sipping through it barely during the first two exercises - couldn't even get to 1/3 of it cause I was feeling already bloated and constipated, it was really hindering how I was performing, like a punch in my stomach.

The taste and mixture wasn't bad at all, I'm just wondering if other people avoid intras because they make them feel this way during workouts? Maybe it's just this product, or just me?

sespress

Awards
Hey there! Yesterday I tried an intra-wo for the first time, specifically this product which seems very complete, it's Granite Recovery Factor X (new Meadows company):

View attachment 154694

I was just sipping through it barely during the first two exercises - couldn't even get to 1/3 of it cause I was feeling already bloated and constipated, it was really hindering how I was performing, like a punch in my stomach.

The taste and mixture wasn't bad at all, I'm just wondering if other people avoid intras because they make them feel this way during workouts? Maybe it's just this product, or just me?
You're not alone brother. I've tried a few of these and they are either slime, nauseating, or actually caused the reverse constipation lol. Nothing ends a workout love montazumas revenge. I gave up on intra drinks.

I'm a bad example though, I have a stomach issue with a lot of products. B like protein shake. I can bake with the stuff but that's about it.

Most pwo with stims will give me Jitters. Lots of thermogenic products repeat on me. Lol! So for me the whole industry produces iffy stuff. Not really a product is good or bad thing though.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
You're not alone brother. I've tried a few of these and they are either slime, nauseating, or actually caused the reverse constipation lol. Nothing ends a workout love montazumas revenge. I gave up on intra drinks.

I'm a bad example though, I have a stomach issue with a lot of products. B like protein shake. I can bake with the stuff but that's about it.

Most pwo with stims will give me Jitters. Lots of thermogenic products repeat on me. Lol! So for me the whole industry produces iffy stuff. Not really a product is good or bad thing though.
I'm the same with stims, I just can't take caffeine at all. Not even 50mg...I feel like ****

sespress

Awards
I can't break 100 but yeah about the same.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
The carbs.. the carbs got you. 20 grams.
On leg day, I like the carbs. That looks more like a pre / intra.
As I mentioned, I didn't even finish 1/3 of these 20carbs (cyclic dextrin, supposed to be the best intra carb). Really don't think it's that

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Did you switch pre's or take more than normal. I often get that issue with pre's but never with my intra. By the time I am at the gym it is mostly gone. That being said the carbs may be an issue. If you are looking for an alternative try SwoleMate by Iforce. 0 Carbs

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
How long before the gym was your last meal?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
2 hours before, my stomach was 100% fine until that point
That's strange. I use intras all the time. I mix my own with anywhere from 25-50 g protein from hydro whey, 50-100g carbs from karbolyn, and a ton of other ergogenic powders. The bag of powder I pour into my shaker fills almost half of it dry. I shake it up and use a larger container to drink out of, and even with ample water it's still pretty thick. I can tell you that I do best being slightly hungry when I walk into the gym. I then have no issues. When I'm too fresh off a meal or something isn't sitting in my stomach right I sometimes don't even touch my drink or want water. This is how I know I over-ate or my meal didn't digest. Don't write off intra just yet. Play with the meal timing and food choices. It's a powerful tool if used correctly

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I like training at least 4 hours after a meal and I take carbs mostly just before I leave for the gym 2 blocks away. I have no issues this way and I am still burping the mixture an hour later so drinking it intra for me would really fuel the walk home :)

I only ever had issues with SizeOn that sat very heavy but was fine once I doubled the water. It is way to sweet for me anyway.

I also checked the product in question has no sugar alcohols as it is the carb version. Some people have difficulties with those.

OP, maybe you can try a serving 2 hours after a similar meal but outside the gym?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
How much water did you mix it with? HBCD is notorious for causing GI issues if not diluted enough. I mix 75gr with 64oz water
This!!!

Meadows has always stated his intra products need more water than usual. This is to get proper digestion.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
This!!!

Meadows has always stated his intra products need more water than usual. This is to get proper digestion.
I may try with more water then, although my shaker bottle was almost full.

That being said, I actually previously noticed cyclic dextrin doesn't sit as well with me compared to Karbolyn: time ago I used to take HBCD postwo alongside proteins, and I was a bloated farting mess. With karbolyn, nothing to note. Although the amount I ingested with this intra was way too low for me to feel that constipated, so I'm not necessarily blaming hbcd.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HBCD never gave me issues but like a lot have said, make sure that water is high, when I use it I fill up a liter jug of water and usually half way through drinking it, I will refill it

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
Make sure you have finished your preworkout at least 30 minutes before the gym and start drinking your INTRA about 10 minutes before you start your workout, and as previously mentioned make sure to mix with plenty of water. I actually bring an extra bottle of water to wash it down. I have been using INTRA-MD and my mouth gets all filmy if I don't wash it down with plain water occasionally throughout my workout.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interestingly, I add my intra with powerade zero of the same flavor...never had any bloat and/or stomach discomfort. Sadly, I am pretty prone to both. I have been using cellular alpha amino (got a great deal at a local VS)

312muscle

312muscle

Awards
I think the biggest issue with intra workouts is not knowing exactly what you're getting... Nitrogen level raised garbage / false labeling.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the biggest issue with intra workouts is not knowing exactly what you're getting... Nitrogen level raised garbage / false labeling.
This doesn't make sense. Op mentioned a very specific product.... Open label = knowing what you are getting.

312muscle

312muscle

Awards
This goes for all companies. Open label means nothing , I can say you're getting 5 G of Leucine when you're really getting 2.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This goes for all companies. Open label means nothing , I can say you're getting 5 G of Leucine when you're really getting 2.
Why would that be specific to intra-workouts? And why would a product being under-dosed mess with someone's stomach (what OP was talking about)?

312muscle

312muscle

Awards
Why would that be specific to intra-workouts? And why would a product being under-dosed mess with someone's stomach (what OP was talking about)?
Under dosing is specific to every product.. It can be specific to anything and everything.. And about the stomach issues, probably from the artificial load of crap that our bodies don't agree with. Which tells me the purity / quality could be ****.

Clearly you're someone who agrees with everything a label has on it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Under dosing is specific to every product.. It can be specific to anything and everything.. And about the stomach issues, probably from the artificial load of crap that our bodies don't agree with. Which tells me the purity / quality could be ****.

B175DDC6-EFE8-44DF-B744-4A89399E13A1-4978-000004634504BCD3.jpg

312muscle

312muscle

Awards
Considering you look like an adolescent to me, it is what I say.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
This escalated fast. Muscleup didn't even actually present a counterargument. He simply asked some clarification questions and you went on the attack.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

That is not the issue with the product op is referring to

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Agree with others, as it is certainly the carbs. I personally use EFX and Gaspari carb sources on the more strenuous days.

Have you tried dialing back to half a scoop?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Agree with others, as it is certainly the carbs. I personally use EFX and Gaspari carb sources on the more strenuous days.

Have you tried dialing back to half a scoop?
Yea I'll dial it back - although I have to say I took 1 scoop of Tr1umph 45min prewo, wondering if that can trigger a conflict or something...

compan

compan

Awards
It looks like a pretty hefty scoop and like others have said, the carbs can certainly do it. Diluting it more may help.

The carbs.. the carbs got you. 20 grams.
On leg day, I like the carbs. That looks more like a pre / intra.

Ours is "TRANSFUSION" which is more of a recovery / post, but works as a nice intra if you like carbs.

On the other hand I just logged a great intra, and it's very light. No carbs. Incredible flavor.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/295772-ifn-iforcenutritions-swolemate.html
Thanks for the Swolemate mention. I would agree it is very light on the stomach and of course the flavors are great.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Actually, muscleup is one of the few members that knows his stuff, asks questions when needed, and will rip a product because of its label. Exactly like the Adrenal thread you threatened to report him in for asking a question about a label. Hence, he didn't agree with it.

Reactions: Nac
machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Yea I'll dial it back - although I have to say I took 1 scoop of Tr1umph 45min prewo, wondering if that can trigger a conflict or something...
IIRC, it made a difference with Follidrone for you. You could try taking the Tr1umph with your pre meal or even post-workout.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I had the same issue with Triumph. I never really like anything during my workouts or most pre workouts because of this issue.

But, I did just get a tub of Powermax XT and although I did drink it post workout, I did not get any of those issues. It was very smooth to drink and had a pleasant taste. I'm going to start my log on it later today but with my first initial try it seems like it will be great.

We will see how it compares while actively working out here soon, I know that additional movement can definitely make a difference. Especially for me if it's cardio.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I had the same issue with Triumph. I never really like anything during my workouts or most pre workouts because of this issue.

But, I did just get a tub of Powermax XT and although I did drink it post workout, I did not get any of those issues. It was very smooth to drink and had a pleasant taste. I'm going to start my log on it later today but with my first initial try it seems like it will be great.

We will see how it compares while actively working out here soon, I know that additional movement can definitely make a difference. Especially for me if it's cardio.
Like I mentioned before, I did take Tr1umph before the intra, so next time I'll probably sip the intra without any Tr1umph before and we'll see how it goes!

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is this the first time you took Tr1umph? Has it ever caused an issue before? It could just be that the soy lecithin from the Tr1umph + the HBCD from the intra was a lot. While the ideal time to use Tr1umph is 30-60 minutes preworkout, it's still fine to take it post-workout (or even intra-workout, though that could still present a similar issue assuming it's the combination of those two ingredients being too much).

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Is this the first time you took Tr1umph? Has it ever caused an issue before? It could just be that the soy lecithin from the Tr1umph + the HBCD from the intra was a lot. While the ideal time to use Tr1umph is 30-60 minutes preworkout, it's still fine to take it post-workout (or even intra-workout, though that could still present a similar issue assuming it's the combination of those two ingredients being too much).
It's not the first time and it has actually caused issues before, although only after a certain period of time - I was ultra bloated and watery. I took Tr1umph today too and I'm getting that feeling again even if it's just two days I've been using it...perhaps my body is just saying "never again" to it? Haha. It wasn't as bad as yesterday when I was sipping thru the intra though. I guess using the intra with more water but no Tr1umph will give me the answer...

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like I mentioned before, I did take Tr1umph before the intra, so next time I'll probably sip the intra without any Tr1umph before and we'll see how it goes!
Scivation Endure + BCAA is all use now. I'm on my third tub.

25g hbcd + 7g bcaa in 26oz water and have ZERO GI distress

If you drink a pre workout that's adequately dosed with ergogenics and whatever else you like then you don't need a loaded down intra.

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
How much water did you mix it with? HBCD is notorious for causing GI issues if not diluted enough. I mix 75gr with 64oz water
This. Even that small of a does (15g) needs mixed with a lot of liquid, it is quite noticeable if not. I mix the 25g of HBCD in SizeOn every workout with about 45oz of water.

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
you need to buy a nalgene bottle from amazon and put a lot more water. I'm perfectly fine using it, I have had it since February and it works like a charm. one scoop you need atleast 36oz or more. I use 1000ml per scoop.

copperhead65

Awards
That's a shame cause that looks like a real nice ingredient profile. Personally ive always used vitargo and really like it, except for the price. Maybe you could try something simpler. If your looking for late workout energy try one of the many intra carbs out by themselves , at least then maybe you could determine if it is the hbcd causing the problem. Good luck.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I use SizeOn and have no issues

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Guys I think it was Tr1umph - I'm probably gonna try this intra tomorrow back again but I won't take Tr1umph as pre, it was giving me lots of issues the days after too

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
How did it go without the Tr1umph?
I'm now using Carnipure + Lecithin granules + Creatine HCL instead of Tr1umph, I know it's not as convenient but doesn't give me the stomach issues that Tr1umph was giving me, so it's all good now. Probably it was something else in Tr1umph giving me issues.

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
I was taking Tr1umph with Re1gn and having issues. I assumed it was the Dragons Mist Re1gn that was causing the nausea. Idk why, but I just stopped taking both of them. maybe the Tr1umph was part of the problem. hmmm

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not all intra workouts are the same...this goes with every type of supplement. Can't bash on intra workouts when you have only used one.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
So many things effect my workout like that. I am not one to eat or drink even hours before a workout. I am sensitive to a lot of things, and somethings seem completely random.

Our Intrafuse is going to get a facelift here shortly, but it's a very light Intraworkout formula. I will get some logs out when we are done. A good friend Matt Pearson helped adding the finishing touches to it.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm now using Carnipure + Lecithin granules + Creatine HCL instead of Tr1umph, I know it's not as convenient but doesn't give me the stomach issues that Tr1umph was giving me, so it's all good now. Probably it was something else in Tr1umph giving me issues.
I interesting. Why the lecithin?

Why not just a general BCAA?

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I like Lecithin before a workout. Never believed in the anabolic effects, but signaling via Acetyl-Choline is good stuff!