What the health documentary?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Vegan propaganda. 1 egg as bad as smoking 5 cigarettes? Absolute bull.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Better watch out for that casein too. Just as addictive as heroin haha

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
All I can say is when I switched majority of my diet to plant based I feel amazing and making the best gains.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Vegan propaganda.
I enjoyed the doc, agreed with some of it, learned a few things (verified afterwards, of course)... but this comment is bang on. It's a propaganda piece.

compan

compan

Awards
Switched it off half way through. I just had a hard time believing a lot of what they were saying. Meat being a much bigger factor in diabetes than sugar being one.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
How good where you at counting macros and micros prior?
Pretty good. I have been counting macros since I was 16. Been a long time since I started. I use to be big on dairy and meat. Ever since I switched eating styles and of course same count of calories/macros my joints have been better than ever, no digestion issues, bloat has dropped a lot, my skin is clear, no more hemroids, and my pumps seem to have improved maybe due to more blood flow in my arteries lmao.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
My main reason for switching to plant based diet is because quite simply, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's a myth that you can't get enough protein. I also don't eat for pleasure so I do not miss meat at all(I only ate it for the protein anyway). Plants are loaded with all types of good nutrients. Meat doesn't really bring anything to the table except protein and vitamin b12 and you can just supplement vitamin b12

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
The #1 biggest downfall of veganism is the inability to utilize keto on a cut. It is impossible to hit your protein macros without taking in carbs while vegan (outside of getting all protein from shakes)

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
The #1 biggest downfall of veganism is the inability to utilize keto on a cut. It is impossible to hit your protein macros without taking in carbs while vegan (outside of getting all protein from shakes)
Being vegan and trying to keto is literally impossible unless every meal is a shake. I tried and looked into keto and there was virtually no way to do it together.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Lane Norton has a vídeo about it on YouTube. Highly recommend it

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Being vegan and trying to keto is literally impossible unless every meal is a shake. I tried and looked into keto and there was virtually no way to do it together.
The beauty of it though is that with all the fiber you take in, it's actually quite hard to gain fat or even reach a caloric surplus high enough to gain a significant amount of body fat while on a vegan diet. Most vegan bulks are lean bulks by nature unless you really go hard on the peanut butter. In addition, most vegan carbs are very low on the glycemic index apart from fruit.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My main reason for switching to plant based diet is because quite simply, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's a myth that you can't get enough protein. I also don't eat for pleasure so I do not miss meat at all(I only ate it for the protein anyway). Plants are loaded with all types of good nutrients. Meat doesn't really bring anything to the table except protein and vitamin b12 and you can just supplement vitamin b12
Whats your weekly food bill compared to when you ate traditional?

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Plant life: $15/week average
Omni life: $60/week average cuz I only bought local

Beans @ $1-1.50 per pound
Chicken @ $8; Fish @ $14-20; Beef @ $16-25 cuz I only bought local grass fed/free-range meat

I also have a nice little garden now

Did drop from elite to master USAPL raw classification because I'm unfortunately in between weight classes now :(

Reactions: Nac
Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Pretty sure vegan has been cheaper because beans are dirt cheap and fruit is not as pricey as people make them out to be. Quality meat on the other hand is ridiculously expensive

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whats a good non mainstream online resource that has some of the science on this? Not youtoob.

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established
I'm just appreciating how neutral and civil this topic has stayed. Seems impossible to hear this topic/conversation without people getting all worked up. Well played gentlemen :)

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I'm just appreciating how neutral and civil this topic has stayed. Seems impossible to hear this topic/conversation without people getting all worked up. Well played gentlemen :)
People hold meat very close to their hearts

pun intended

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Whats a good non mainstream online resource that has some of the science on this? Not youtoob.
There isn't a nutrition / health advantage to a vegan diet. It does drastically reduce your contribution to global warming, deforestation, and environmental damage in general. And it drastically reduces the number of animal deaths resulting from your existence. That's pretty much it.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There isn't a nutrition / health advantage to a vegan diet.
Hmmm, thats what I had assumed (and I did want to be wrong). I couldnt find much info on this aspect as I could on say the health benefits of keto.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, thats what I had assumed (and I did want to be wrong). I couldnt find much info on this aspect as I could on say the health benefits of keto.
To oversimplify, any benefits gained from a vegan diet can be had in an omnivorous diet while benefits from non-vegan foods cannot be had in a vegan diet.

All the publications focusing on the health argument e.g. Forks Over Knives, The China Study by TC Campbell; NutritionFacts.org and What The Health by Greger et al are, in my opinion, detrimental to veganism because they spread misinformation and are extremely easy targets with numerous weaknesses and, at times, completely incorrect interpretations of or misrepresented data.

Of course the intended audience of these publications are laymen so the same misinformation is parroted and spread again and again.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Most health benefits from it are anecdotal and people could probably still achieve the benefits from other diets. But I will have to say that, if done properly, it can force you to eat very healthy foods, if that's the kind of thing someone needs to keep themselves on track

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
There isn't a nutrition / health advantage to a vegan diet. It does drastically reduce your contribution to global warming, deforestation, and environmental damage in general. And it drastically reduces the number of animal deaths resulting from your existence. That's pretty much it.

This seems exaggerated that there is no nutritional/health advantage.. anything supporting a pretty bold claim? (I'm not on either side)

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
This seems exaggerated that there is no nutritional/health advantage.. anything supporting a pretty bold claim? (I'm not on either side)
There are plenty of health benefits to being vegan but none of which you can't achieve doing other diets. For instance, a vegan diet would definitely reduce heart diease and diabetes if done properly, but so could other propery executed diets that do have animal products.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Vegan propaganda. Vegan's are dogmatic cultists IMO. Even "Ethical" ones are suspect - millions of animals other than the usual cows/chickens, etc... - are killed by agricultural operations. Birds, Insects, Reptiles, Rodents, Small Animals, etc...

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Even "Ethical" ones are suspect - millions of animals other than the usual cows/chickens, etc... - are killed by agricultural operations. Birds, Insects, Reptiles, Rodents, Small Animals, etc...
Right. Millions of animals do die from agricultural operations and those losses are magnified by meat consumption due to the energy loss from feed -> meat product.

The goal of veganism is to reduce animal suffering in a meaningful way by refraining from the consumption of animal products(non-food items included). I believe it is widely recognized that one cannot exist in modern society without directly or indirectly causing animal suffering.

If the discussion turns to absolutely minimizing animal suffering then I would argue living a hunting and gathering lifestyle and complete non-participation in society would yield the lowest amount of animal suffering.

A possible counterpoint is by participating in society and directly or indirectly influencing the food choices of others to trend towards less animal products yields a net reduction in animal suffering greater than a single person can achieve on their own.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not watched the film, but I did however watch Layne Norton's short rebuttal video to it on his Instagram. Did the video really try to say that they cured cancer in a petri dish by adding a vegan's blood to it? I found it hard to believe that the film would make such an absolutely ludicrous claim, but if it did, that really destroyed all of it's (and all of the scientists who made it) credibility imo.

Once again, not saying the movie did say this, just that I had heard it did. To anyone who watched it, did they really say this?

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
The figureheads of the vegan health argument are collectively off their rockers.

Their lead claims that casein is the "most relevant carcinogen ever identified" and it flips on the genetic cancer switch.

Just google Campbell casein carcinogen.

Helping veganism? Nah. Lying to people for personal gain? You bet.

Edit:

is it possible there is some casein specific epigenetic component to many cancers? Maybe.

Did Campbell, in any way shape or form, perform any work that indicated such? No. All he did was demonstrate that aflatoxin 1b induced hepatic lesions, like any tissue, grow more robustly with 20% casein protein vs 20% wheat protein diet.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I think "In defense of food" is a way better documentary. You guys should watch it. It doesn't demonize meat, but rather makes the claim that a plant centered diet is way healthier, but also that meat has its place and is okay to eat in moderation. It looks at the psychological games the food industry plays on society to make profit.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right. Millions of animals do die from agricultural operations and those losses are magnified by meat consumption due to the energy loss from feed -> meat product.

The goal of veganism is to reduce animal suffering in a meaningful way by refraining from the consumption of animal products(non-food items included). I believe it is widely recognized that one cannot exist in modern society without directly or indirectly causing animal suffering.

If the discussion turns to absolutely minimizing animal suffering then I would argue living a hunting and gathering lifestyle and complete non-participation in society would yield the lowest amount of animal suffering.

A possible counterpoint is by participating in society and directly or indirectly influencing the food choices of others to trend towards less animal products yields a net reduction in animal suffering greater than a single person can achieve on their own.
Maybe I'm just a savage, but I'm not that concerned about animals suffering

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think "In defense of food" is a way better documentary. You guys should watch it. It doesn't demonize meat, but rather makes the claim that a plant centered diet is way healthier, but also that meat has its place and is okay to eat in moderation. It looks at the psychological games the food industry plays on society to make profit.
I agree with you here... I think this one paints a more accurate picture. The food industry, now they're savages for real lol. Really food processing is the worst thing for you and the government knows processed foods contain carcinogens but its a huge way to make sure the money keeps flowing. Produce it as cheap as possible with a long shelf life, they don't care about your health lol

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you here... I think this one paints a more accurate picture. The food industry, now they're savages for real lol. Really food processing is the worst thing for you and the government knows processed foods contain carcinogens but its a huge way to make sure the money keeps flowing. Produce it as cheap as possible with a long shelf life, they don't care about your health lol
I think the guy in that one is easier to listen to than the guy in "what the health"

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sounds like that one would be watchable - it coincides with societal studies on the healthiest populations: More non-meat than meat, but meat is in there :D I don't know why some people just can't accept the term 'Omnivore'?

Various mammals are omnivorous in the wild, such as species of pigs, badgers, bears, coatis, civets, hedgehogs, opossums, skunks, sloths, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, mice, and rats. Hominidae, including humans and chimpanzees, are also omnivores.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like that one would be watchable - it coincides with societal studies on the healthiest populations: More non-meat than meat, but meat is in there :D I don't know why some people just can't accept the term 'Omnivore'?
I agree man.

In the video they followed the last group of humans that eat absolutely zero processed foods. Some tribe in Africa(i think) that still uses hunter/gatherer structure. They have no heart disease, diabetes, and very little cancer. They eat a mainly plant based diet but still eat meat on a weekly basis when they are able to catch something. It was very interesting to watch

DeloresHardin

DeloresHardin

Awards
It might be ridiculous since it is an old thread, but I see a lot of advantages of a vegan diet: it promotes weight loss and reduce your risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels, and so on. Additionally, it saves the animal, the environment, and our house, doesn't it? Find more info in free essays about analyzing the exhaustion of landfill capacities in the United States. I think it is because of trash thrown by the community and abusive agriculture. Therefore, a vegan life would reduce the necessities.

Last edited:
DeloresHardin

DeloresHardin

Awards
agree with this one