Weird theory..

Recognize

Recognize

Awards
Let's say I have a supplement with 3 compounds. Compound A has 5g per scoop compound B has 2g and compound C has 1g. Since the supplement is just a bunch of powder in a tub how do you know you're not really getting like 8g of compound A and none of the other two. How do you know that one compound isn't all together in one ball. It's a weird theory but I always wondered how they managed to dose compounds all in one big powder, how is that accurate ?

ManuR

Awards
  • Established
they have special equipment for that. the powders get mixed into each other.
it is not like they just fill the 3 powders into the tub one after the other.
But it might be possible that you get 4,8, 2,1 and 1,1g ofc (small tolerances still exist as far as i know)

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
The regulation on supplement companies is a joke. Only Lord knows what kind of dosing we get lol

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't think this is a bad question. It's pretty good, as how many of us mix our tubs before scooping? It's always a good idea to give it a bit of a shake in all axis. If manufactured in a GMP facility there are guidelines for mixing products appropriately, but things happen after the process of shipping and then sitting on a shelf.

https://youtu.be/QZfRVKnxcuY

These are very fine powders that are mixed as stated with special equipment. It's the same reason your powdered rehydration drink of choice (i.e., Gatorade) has the same sweetness when you scoop it into your water.

That said, some compounds are prone to clumping. That's where the gains are found, clumped together. :D

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I think it's a decent question as well - kind of. Mix something heavy like Beta-Alanine and something light like HMB-Ca and tap the tup on the counter for an hour, and I bet the top scoops will be mostly HMB :D But like said above - just shake your container well after receiving it (long time on distributors shelf + bouncing during shipping), and before each use. But they are most definitely just a mixture - there is no magic in the tub - even at the finest particle size, each one can vary greatly in weight. SHAKE!

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Still how do you know you're not getting more of a compound than another
You dont.

But on the Law of Averages, by the time youve gotten all the way throught the tub all your scoops/servings were exactly according to the Ingredient Panel. True story.

InariFox

Awards
"Stratified sampling is the process of sampling dosage units at predefined intervals and collecting representative samples from specifically targeted locations in the compression/filling operation that have the greatest potential to yield extreme highs and lows in test results. These test results are used to monitor the manufacturing process output that is most responsible for causing finished product variability. The test results can be used to develop a single control procedure to ensure adequate powder mix and uniform content in finished products."

Part of FDA guidelines

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you all believe it gives better consistency by shaking the tub, why doesn't the tub say "mix well before use"? I mean, manufacturers would anticipate all these variables you spoke about, right? Last thing they would want is a PWO that doesn't give a proper dosage of all the ingredients uniformly coz it's sitting in a shelf. There are tests (as mentioned above) which ensures the dosage will be even.

On the other hand on a liquid medicine bottle it's clearly mentioned "shake well before use". The reason is, active ingredients get evenly distributed.

Last edited:
rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A lot of tubs do say to shake well before use.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't see it on my Re1gn, Conqu3r Unleashed, Kraken, Gameday or True Grit. Which ones are you talking about?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Most of the PWOs gets clumpy because the ingredients are hygroscopic. That doesn't mean the ingredients will be unevenly spread.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just see the shake as being "common knowledge" (no offense). I have always shaked the shyt out of any powder or liquid supplements I have used without even thinking about it.

I also find the timing of this thread to be rather coincidental :)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It is a decent question, and more noticeable if you mix various bulks together to make your own brew.

What you will notice is some powders are heavier, some are fluffier, some are dense etc when you do it this way, but when you have a pre made tub the ingredients are milled together to create a powder of similar consistency throughout. They can still settle, but shaking it will help resolve it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
GrizzleB

GrizzleB

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was just wondering this myself last night. I ended up ordering 300g l-citrulline, 100g agmatine, and 100g hydromax. Add caffiene and I got a decent pump pre that'll last me 3 months+