Best Intra Workout supp?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
This fall I wanna take my workouts to the next level so I thought a good intra workout may help me for sure.

I noticed John Meadows mentioning this "Granite Recovery Factor X" product which has cyclic dextrin, BCAAs and some pump added (citrulline, taurine), seems pretty complete.

Any suggestions?

Brendanbroe27

Brendanbroe27

Awards
Steel supplement Adabolic looks very promising but pretty expensive. I also loved endur3+ by Olympus labs

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Xtend Perform (Can add carbs to the formula if you wish)
Olympus Labs Endure +
Gaspari Size-On
In-Kaged

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The new PowerMax XT is great. It has your daily staples taken care of, creatine, TMG, etc. plus the new formula has whey hydoylsate, EAAs and added leucine. Here is a post from another one of our reps.

Yep. Here's an old post of mine on the subject (sorry for any repetition with Adizzle1's post):

"Here's the study on various doses of whey in combination with leucine and BCAAs:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24284442

Doses/combinations:
-25g Whey Protein (3g leucine)
-6.25g Whey Protein (0.75g leucine)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 3g)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 5g)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 5g; from added BCAAs instead of just added leucine)

Interestingly, Phospho-mTOR was increased at 1.5 hours in the Whey 25g, Whey 6.25 (3g l) and Whey 6.25 (5gl), but not in the Whey 6.25g or Whey (3g l; BCAAs). The study, along with others, have shown that a suboptimal protein dose (6.25g whey) supplemented with leucine (3g total) can stimulate postprandial MPS rates equivalent to that of 25g whey (with 3g leucine total).

Essentially, this combo is better than whey and/or BCAAs alone. If you would like carbs added, you could add a bulk carb product to it or do what muscleupcrohn does and add orange Gatorade powder to it.

compan

compan

Awards
Size On is a classic and still stacks up very well to stuff today. Products with carbs often the better products when it comes down to performance. Non-carb based, I like SwoleMate and In-Kaged.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The new PowerMax XT is great. It has your daily staples taken care of, creatine, TMG, etc. plus the new formula has whey hydoylsate, EAAs and added leucine. Here is a post from another one of our reps.

Yep. Here's an old post of mine on the subject (sorry for any repetition with Adizzle1's post):

"Here's the study on various doses of whey in combination with leucine and BCAAs:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24284442

Doses/combinations:
-25g Whey Protein (3g leucine)
-6.25g Whey Protein (0.75g leucine)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 3g)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 5g)
-6.25g Whey Protein (added leucine to 5g; from added BCAAs instead of just added leucine)

Interestingly, Phospho-mTOR was increased at 1.5 hours in the Whey 25g, Whey 6.25 (3g l) and Whey 6.25 (5gl), but not in the Whey 6.25g or Whey (3g l; BCAAs). The study, along with others, have shown that a suboptimal protein dose (6.25g whey) supplemented with leucine (3g total) can stimulate postprandial MPS rates equivalent to that of 25g whey (with 3g leucine total).

Essentially, this combo is better than whey and/or BCAAs alone. If you would like carbs added, you could add a bulk carb product to it or do what muscleupcrohn does and add orange Gatorade powder to it.
This, the combination of EAAs (which include BCAAs) and leucine is more ideal than just BCAAs. The WPH in PowerMax XT provides quickly/easily absorbed EAAs, and the additional 3g leucine puts the total leucine content right where you want it to be. There's also some interesting research suggesting that WPH is superior to other protein sources or BCAAs in regards to increasing carbohydrates effects on muscle glycogen resynthesis, making it a great choice of protein/EAAs/etc to pair with an intra-workout carb source.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I really like GAT Jetmass. I had used two bottles post-workout as the label suggests, but I just used a tub intraworkout and I like that better. Has waxy maize carbs, creatine, aminos, stuff for pumps, focus.....

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PowerMax XT all the way!!! It's recently been reformulated/improved but the flavor has stayed the same. I took my first dose of this about a week ago and I love it. I take high volume or VasoMax as my pre workout during the week and PowerMax xt intra workout.

Nutriverse has 20% off for PowerMax xt also! Just add it to the cart and the new price will be revealed. Also add AM5 at checkout to get an additional 5%. Great price for our newest product. Can't beat it.

https://www.nutri-verse.com/powermax-xt-by-performax-labs/

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Question related to intras: would you guys sip it throughout the whole workout, or do a "pit stop" in the middle to refuel you?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Question related to intras: would you guys sip it throughout the whole workout, or do a "pit stop" in the middle to refuel you?
Sip on it.. I sometimes fill up my shaker cup half way because I blow through 45oz of liquid.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
SwoleMate...Endurance from Formutech is underrated

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about glycerol powder at 100g for ten bucks, good deal?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I start out with my shaker cup full. When it gets halfway done, I fill it up again. So yeah the product is diluted but I drink so much water while I lift and I want to keep drinking the intra throughout the entire session.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
What about glycerol powder at 100g for ten bucks, good deal?
The only real benefit would be hydration but that may be tough to stomach during as opposed to prior to exercise

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
I'm going Nutra Bio Super Carb for that tasty HBCD or Size On for an all in one

Always sip throughout. Don't want to chug or rapidly drink a significant amount of liquid at once, and I want to stay hydrated (especially this time of year in a non climate controlled Georgia garage)

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like iForce SwoleMate, SizeOn, Intra Blast, or Endless

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Cyclic Dextrin + Modern BCAA is what I'm currently doing. I've added HBCD to lots of different BCAA/EAA products.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The reformulated PowerMax XT has been treating me real well. As others mentioned the Whey Protein Hydrolysate*with 3g Lucine is the sweet spot. Plus it still covers creatine and TMG needs. And recovery and hydration needs.

Here is newest label for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Edit. It won't let me upload pic. I will try from a computer in a bit.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
powermax-xt-ingredients-2017.jpg

New PowerMax XT

It will not let me edit above post.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Just started using Swolemate and I will say it is some good stuff (too early to tell if it'll help with anything)

I used Size On in the past and enjoyed it, but I have also used Humapro. I felt that was a great EAA product

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blue Star AminoFast
Nutrabio IntraBlast
Gaspari SizeOn
Xtend Perform

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I run something similar, just use glycofuse and add in xtend and creatine.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the benefit of adding creatine intra?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There isn't really any significant benefit in using creatine intra-workout, it's more of just getting it in sometime, but there is some research (at least one study) suggesting that post-workout creatine supplementation is somewhat superior to pre-workout creatine supplementation, and intra-workout may be a good "compromise" between the two. Either way, just getting your creatine in is the most important thing in regards to creatine supplementation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23919405

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be honest, the main reason i take it intra is because i'm having the quickly absorbing carbs, so that helps the creatine uptake. And as i only sip on the intra workout drink, i'll still have a bit left at the end of the workout, so some of the creatine will still get absorbed post workout. Also, nowadays i don't take shakes post workout either, just a meal, so then there's nothing really to have the creatine with post workout

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What would you guys say is the correct amount of carbs intra? More or less
There is 0 answer for that. There are WAY too many factors
- Goal (Cutting/Bulking)
- Volume of training
- metabolism (some girls can intake 3000 calories and not gain weight, some males can't even eat 2k and lose weight)
- Total caloric intake (most people who are very low carb won't take any carbs intra due to satiety and food volume >> Powdered carbs)

While intra carbs are very beneficial this really boils down to your pre-workout nutrition (if you are covered here the need for intra may not even be necessary). The average joe who trains for 45-60 minutes they barley blow through what they just consumed pre-workout and is already overlapping into the post-workout period.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What would you guys say is the correct amount of carbs intra? More or less
I think it depends on a few factors, including length of training, peri-workout nutrition, and your target calorie/carb intake.

With that said, there was a promising study that used 6g EAAs and ~40g carbs (from Gatorade) intra-workout that noted better gains than from EAAs or carbs alone (or placebo, obviously), and all groups lost fat (although there were no significant differences here between the groups).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16456674/

The above study used 6g EAA that only contained 1.12g leucine, and we have seen other studies note that increasing the leucine content of 10g EAAs from 1.87g to 3.5g increased post-workout muscle protein synthesis by 33%.
http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/3/809.long

So it seems logical that taking your 6-10g total EAAs (with added leucine to 3-5g) with ~40g carbs (even from something cheap like Gatorade) is a very effective intro-workout combo. Also, research has noted that WPH seems to promote muscle glycogen resynthesis from carbs more effectively than BCAAs or other protein sources (and it's also a good source of EAAs), so pairing something like 5-6g WPH with added leucine and some Gatorade powder is a pretty ideal intra-workout drink IMO. Plus the Gatorade saves you some money compared to "premium" carb sources.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i force compete is my overall favorite
humapro is good too

at this point I have a 2lb tub mixed with all sorts of different amino products, I also throw in some creatine and some the fall/winter will add glycofuse

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Xtend Bcaa + 50g Waxy, Karbolyn, Vitargo, HBCD depending on current offers. Not sure I felt a difference between the different carb sources, just can't stomach Maltodextrin and Dextrose. And Waxy is a mess, but overall my favorite for the price (I can get it for like 3-4 bucks/kg). Sometimes I get Karbolyn or HBCD when they sell for something like 10 bucks/kg.

I tried several formulas, etc. Including WPH but I stick to Xtend and Carbs. I take WPH post workout though

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Xtend Bcaa + 50g Waxy, Karbolyn, Vitargo, HBCD depending on current offers. Not sure I felt a difference between the different carb sources, just can't stomach Maltodextrin and Dextrose. And Waxy is a mess, but overall my favorite for the price (I can get it for like 3-4 bucks/kg). Sometimes I get Karbolyn or HBCD when they sell for something like 10 bucks/kg.

I tried several formulas, etc. Including WPH but I stick to Xtend and Carbs. I take WPH post workout though
I handle Gatorade well, so that's what I go with. The taste is nice too haha. I wouldn't really want to do a "full" dose of WPH as a standalone intra-workout (something like 20-25g), but a lower dose just to provide EAAs to supplement/compliment/balance the extra leucine (3-5g total) works well without being too "heavy" at all. I also sometimes use just bulk EAA powder, bulk leucine powder, and Gatorade powder; either one works for me. Xtend does taste pretty good haha. When I do use that, I still like to add some EAA powder to it though, as I do believe EAA>BCAA (matched for 3-5g leucine).

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I handle Gatorade well, so that's what I go with. The taste is nice too haha. I wouldn't really want to do a "full" dose of WPH as a standalone intra-workout (something like 20-25g), but a lower dose just to provide EAAs to supplement/compliment/balance the extra leucine (3-5g total) works well without being too "heavy" at all. I also sometimes use just bulk EAA powder, bulk leucine powder, and Gatorade powder; either one works for me. Xtend does taste pretty good haha. When I do use that, I still like to add some EAA powder to it though, as I do believe EAA>BCAA (matched for 3-5g leucine).
I also tried WPH in smaller doses. Xtend has 3,5g Leucine which should be sufficient I reckon. But I maybe add some bulk leucine to see what it does. I could also buy EAA in bulk, but I am not sure it is another thing I wanna add to My Xtend. I already use like 108 different supplements :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also tried WPH in smaller doses. Xtend has 3,5g Leucine which should be sufficient I reckon. But I maybe add some bulk leucine to see what it does. I could also buy EAA in bulk, but I am not sure it is another thing I wanna add to My Xtend. I already use like 108 different supplements :)
Haha, I'm sure Xtend/BCAAs are fine, I just think EAAs are ideal. The leucine in Xtend should be sufficient, it's the presence of the other EAAs that I'd like to have. As to how much of a practical difference it'll make, I can't tell you that, but I like to optimize things haha.

Beta

Awards
  • Established
A bunch of us are going to start logging IFN's Swolemate over the next few days if you wanna follow. Should be interesting!

IMG_0832.jpg

I'll have my log up probably by EOD today if it comes in!

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
The more you guys suggest products, the more I come back to the supplement facts from this Recovery Factor X that John Meadows uses. Check this, it's mega solid imo:

RFX-Facts.jpg

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
The more you guys suggest products, the more I come back to the supplement facts from this Recovery Factor X that John Meadows uses. Check this, it's mega solid imo:

View attachment 152809
I looked at this when it first came out and for myself it's low in carbs, and probably cost prohibitive (for me) to run multiple scoops. You would probably do just as well with bulk HBCD (Glycofuse) mixed with your favorite BCAA/EAA product. Any pump ingredients would be covered if you use a preworkout.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I looked at this when it first came out and for myself it's low in carbs, and probably cost prohibitive (for me) to run multiple scoops. You would probably do just as well with bulk HBCD (Glycofuse) mixed with your favorite BCAA/EAA product. Any pump ingredients would be covered if you use a preworkout.
This. It's expensive; the cheapest I see it is $45 for 20 servings, or $2.25/serving, and only 20g carbs per serving. It's definitely cost prohibitive to double dose for more carbs (and redundant for most of the formula). For comparison, Gatorade powder is around $0.27/serving for ~40g carbs, and you can find an EAA supplement for probably $1-1.50/serving, so ~$1.25-1.75 with 40g carbs is more appealing than $2.25 with 20g carbs (the $0.50-$1.00 difference per serving adds up, especially if you're using it most days). And like you said, I don't really need more pump ingredients if I'm taking a pre-workout. If money is no issue, it's solid though, but you may want to add some more carbs.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I agree on carbs but have plenty of bulk HBCD and Karbolyn at home that I could add. Still pricey though, agreed

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
A bunch of us are going to start logging IFN's Swolemate over the next few days if you wanna follow. Should be interesting!

View attachment 152802

I'll have my log up probably by EOD today if it comes in!
Can't wait

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mix my carbs with PowerMax xt intra workout. I haven't ever noticed a difference with creatine in terms of dosage timing (pre/intra/post). All about saturation. I just like finding a product that has all I need in under one label. Helps the wallet out a little bit :)

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
im taking Kaged Muscle - In kaged and its pretty awesome

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1: EAAs or hydrolyzed protein(Pepto pro is king)
2: HBCD, Karbolyn or Vitargo
3: Taurine
4: Glutamine
5: Citrulline
6: Electrolytes
- other ergogenic aids can definitely be helpful as well

Right now I really like the formula to NutraBio's Intra Blast. It has no carbs, but they sell Super carb which is HBCD and electrolytes.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you do, let us know and we can give you links to the best deals going on right now :)
Yea definitely get me links. I was searching last night and the power max xt I found was nothing like the profiles posted in here

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea definitely get me links. I was searching last night and the power max xt I found was nothing like the profiles posted in here
The product has recently been reformulated to some degree. What label have you seen?

We are also having a PowerMax XT logging opportunity right now if you are interested.

Performax Labs wants you to log PowerMax XT

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295603

This is the current formula

IMG_9664.jpg

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is the best deal powermax out there ? Anything cheaper then$27 ??

Looking to buy 2-3

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
Thank you guys for all of the SizeOn love! It is the #1 and only for me. Very comprehensive intra-workout formula and the taste is on another planet.