Fish Oil question

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a really stupid question, but do you guys think fish oils really help with joints? I've never bothered, i've always been on a budget with supplements and if i have to choose between trying a new pre workout or fish oils, pre workout wins every time. But since my joints aren't as good as a few years ago, i'm looking at whatever can help out in that regard, so is fish oils worth it, or a waste of money? and which products do you guys like?

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
I don't notice much of a difference, but I think the health benefits are pretty well documented. I try to just eat a can of salmon or a couple tins of sardines once or twice a week.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. As far as direct joint help I wouldn't say that I notice a direct difference on or off. However the massive health benefits far out weigh the cost IMO

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never taken multi vitamins either, i try and get those in by eating fruit and veggies

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah, i also try and eat a lot fish, i have salmon and cod a few times a week.

celliem

celliem

Awards
This is a really stupid question, but do you guys think fish oils really help with joints? I've never bothered, i've always been on a budget with supplements and if i have to choose between trying a new pre workout or fish oils, pre workout wins every time. But since my joints aren't as good as a few years ago, i'm looking at whatever can help out in that regard, so is fish oils worth it, or a waste of money? and which products do you guys like?
I've seen a marked improvement in my knees since starting fish oil this year consistently. I can run again too with less strain.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been taking some fish oil immediately post-workout, is that good or bad timing?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fish oil is worth the money even if it didn't help with joints. The health benefits are numerous for such an affordable supplement. I notice benefit with connective tissue, but i also use cissus which for my money is the best supplement i use. I couldn't lift without it as well as it improves my quality of life because of being able to move much more pain free.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been taking some fish oil immediately post-workout, is that good or bad timing?
You want to take anti-inflammatory products away from your workout. Take with food but not within lets say 2 hours pre or post workout.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Read an article on T Nation I think where they make the case the best time to take fish oil is before bed...I forgot why though

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Also bad timing as fats can delay absorption of your shake also.

Personally I notice improvement but only in the 8g+/day dose.

I also use it because I don't eat any seafood

Eight

Eight

Awards
This is a really stupid question, but do you guys think fish oils really help with joints?
Personally, I say yes.

I did an ostarine + arimistane (Elim1nate) cycle a few months back and almost immediately had to drop the Elim1nate due to joint pain. At that point I ran a joint support supp and some fish oils, which helped a great deal. Since then, I've used Elim1nate a few times to stay dry (at higher dosages than I used previously) and now take fish oil as a daily - had no joint discomfort.

I just use standard supermarket fish oil / cod-liver oil supplements, which are really very cheap compared to other supplements we buy on here.

Edit: Should add that I'm vegetarian, so I can't eat fish to help get the omegas etc. from my diet.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely add Fish Oil as a staple supplement. It's recommended to at least 1gm of Fish oil every day (unless you're eating fish every day).

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I say yes.

I did an ostarine + arimistane (Elim1nate) cycle a few months back and almost immediately had to drop the Elim1nate due to joint pain. At that point I ran a joint support supp and some fish oils, which helped a great deal. Since then, I've used Elim1nate a few times to stay dry (at higher dosages than I used previously) and now take fish oil as a daily - had no joint discomfort.

I just use standard supermarket fish oil / cod-liver oil supplements, which are really very cheap compared to other supplements we buy on here.

Edit: Should add that I'm vegetarian, so I can't eat fish to help get the omegas etc. from my diet.
Ummmm....what's the difference from a vegetarian standpoint?

Eight

Eight

Awards
Ummmm....what's the difference from a vegetarian standpoint?
Oils aren't flesh. The term "vegetarian" covers a lot of different dietary habits without being vegan. For example, some won't eat animal products (e.g eggs or milk) and some will.

Edit: In my case, I draw a line when it comes to all my joints aching. :) If fish oil is the quickest way to fix the problem, then hand it over. Strict vegetarian friendly omega supplements are available mind. By chance, to be honest, the one I'm currently taking is.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, so, I used to take 6 g of fish oil for a total of about 4.5 g of EPA/DHA per day consistently. Then I ran out of cash and stopped for about 8 months. A few weeks back I got some cash and started again, but I had read another thread on here that re-kindled my interest in Poloquin's high-dose fish oil idea and then read a study showing fish oil increases muscle protein synthesis. Actually a couple studies showing this. I couldn't afford 30-40g per day, but I was taking 18 g/day for about 3 weeks and I noticed a lot of benefits - namely I needed less sleep and didn't wake up as much during sleep. It also seems to me that most of the joint-related threads on here have certain ingredients that always pop up as being the best, and those are Cissus and Fish Oil. I think it may need to be high-dosed though to see some benefits. Of course, be aware that there are downsides to large doses too.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You want to take anti-inflammatory products away from your workout. Take with food but not within lets say 2 hours pre or post workout.
Unless you're taking fish oil in large doses, I don't think it really matters.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok, so, I used to take 6 g of fish oil for a total of about 4.5 g of EPA/DHA per day consistently. Then I ran out of cash and stopped for about 8 months. A few weeks back I got some cash and started again, but I had read another thread on here that re-kindled my interest in Poloquin's high-dose fish oil idea and then read a study showing fish oil increases muscle protein synthesis. Actually a couple studies showing this. I couldn't afford 30-40g per day, but I was taking 18 g/day for about 3 weeks and I noticed a lot of benefits - namely I needed less sleep and didn't wake up as much during sleep. It also seems to me that most of the joint-related threads on here have certain ingredients that always pop up as being the best, and those are Cissus and Fish Oil. I think it may need to be high-dosed though to see some benefits. Of course, be aware that there are downsides to large doses too.
interesting.

As i mentioned I like "high dose", but I've never gone above 10g/day or so. Maybe I'll try it out sometime. I like Poliquin a lot

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Oils aren't flesh. The term "vegetarian" covers a lot of different dietary habits without being vegan. For example, some won't eat animal products (e.g eggs or milk) and some will.

Edit: In my case, I draw a line when it comes to all my joints aching. :) If fish oil is the quickest way to fix the problem, then hand it over. Strict vegetarian friendly omega supplements are available mind. By chance, to be honest, the one I'm currently taking is.
You mean its an algae based EPA/DHS supplement?

Because if it's "fish" oil, the have to kill the fish to get it. And that would make you pescatarian, not vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian.

I'm not trying to be a dck, but I was vegetarian for 15 years and had all kinds of joint/tendon issues. Algae based supps helped a little, fish oil a little more, and eating real whole fish was even better.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you just need joint ache help, fish oil isnt the best choice from a cost:benefit. It is certainly a great staple, but on a budget and with joint issues, you need to look at a more direct joint supplement like cissus (as mentioned) or even something more comprehensive like SNS joint support XT or some of the similar joint supps.

Eight

Eight

Awards
Because if it's "fish" oil, the have to kill the fish to get it.
I figured they just gave the fish a little squeeze and let it go. ;)

I'm not trying to be a dck, but I was vegetarian for 15 years and had all kinds of joint/tendon issues. Algae based supps helped a little, fish oil a little more, and eating real whole fish was even better.
Been pretty lucky with my joints etc. really until fairly recently. But then the combination of weight training, running, weird supplements, and ever-increasing age was bound to take its toll eventually.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also bad timing as fats can delay absorption of your shake also.

Personally I notice improvement but only in the 8g+/day dose.

I also use it because I don't eat any seafood
Digestion time of protein is irrelevant for 99% of us.

Definitely add Fish Oil as a staple supplement. It's recommended to at least 1gm of Fish oil every day (unless you're eating fish every day).
Unless you're taking fish oil in large doses, I don't think it really matters.
We want to intake 2g or more of combined EPA/DHA. Saying "x grams" of fish oil is worthless. And yes it does matter. You want to separate anti-inflammatory products from your bout. It's called science, you might try it.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you remember what the thread was called? I'm keen to give it a read
I've been taking high dha&epa omega 3s preworkout to boost energy production, post workout to boost protein synthesis and before bed for detox/recovery (~8-10g/day), but I've been told that taking too much omega 3 can be too anti-inflammatory and can therefore suppress your potential for gains. As a result, I'm considering reducing my intake

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I THINK it was just titled high-dose fish oil or something like that. There wasn't a ton of info, but it got me thinking about it again.

As far as the anti-inflammatory effects negating gains, I think this may be over-thinking it a little. Kind of like thinking inflammation is always bad - it's not. But our diets can be way out of whack and I don't think taking 40 grams a day forever is a good idea. Poloquin says to do the 40 grams for 2 months, then cut it in half. If I could afford it, I would try it.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

We want to intake 2g or more of combined EPA/DHA. Saying "x grams" of fish oil is worthless. And yes it does matter. You want to separate anti-inflammatory products from your bout. It's called science, you might try it.
I cannot find a single research or study that supports your argument. It does say in a couple of research that, taking fish oil right after workout with your meal help with your immune system and improving cardiovascular. The research also says high level of fish oil (2.4-2.7gms EPA/DHA) will reduce inflammation. This is about, let's say, 9 caps of 1000mg fish oil. I am not sure if anyone will take 9 caps at a go after workout. So, taking a cap or two of fish oil after workout (less than 2hrs) wouldn't affect your inflammation.

P.S- don't have to get offended or throw your sarcasm just coz someone is challenging your statement. If I am wrong, I'd like to know and it'd be great if you point me to the right direction.

Last edited:
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I agree on the protein, but that point kind of is the same as mine. People major in minors.

The fact of the matter is that inflammation will increase adaptive response, but anti-inflammatory ingredients aid in recovery.

And I agree. Science. Try it. Add in some fish oil post workout for a couple months and see if it makes any difference. Or find me an experiment and some evidence that this is the case. Having a theory isn't science.

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards

Fish Oil, as a way to get omega 3 fatty acids particularly EPA and DHA, does a lot more for you than help your joints.

For my part I am certain, beyond a reasonable doubt, that my bloodwork, particularly triglycerides, has benefited significantly from fish oil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 2
Supplements 9
Supplements 2
Hondaman1010 Nutrition / Health 32
elliotuk Supplements 5