Plant Based Protein Versus Whey Protein

A

ABH Pharma

Awards
As of late, there has been debate over whether or not plant protein is better than whey protein. Let's get to it, shall we? We'll start with whey protein first. Whey protein has been and is still considered the reigning champion for protien. Casein might be up there but its still not even close. Now there are definitely some limitations with whey protein. The first being it is derived from the left over curd from when cheese is made. Many people are allergic to dairy and have lactose intolerance. This creates an uneasy and not so pleasant feeling such as gas, bloating, and cramping. This is where plant protein can come in handy. If you are a vegan or a vegetarian, plant protein is already on your side. Many folks over the years will transition from whey to plant based protein and realize that their symptons and allergies will disappear. This now allows them to fully digest the protein without dealing with the nagging discomfort.

Where should you look for your different proteins? Walking into your local vitamin and supplement store, you would think all proteins would be bundled up together in one aisle. It is quite the opposite. Whey protein along with your casein will most likely be bundled up in your bodybuilding and lifting section while plant based protein will most likely be near your whole nutrition and health food section. So which is the better one to get? The answer is...it's totally up to you! If you have no issue digesting whey protein, or even if you do and you don't mind the discomfort, then by all means go with whey if you like that better. If you don't want to deal with discomfort and want to try something new for a change, go out and get yourself some plant based protein. What kind of protein do you take and why?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take whey mainly. Some of the whey is mixed with other stuff like a bit of casein for slower digesting. Ive used plant based, pea and rice protein, for recipes, and mixed in greek yogurt or cottege cheese.

yotreeman

yotreeman

Awards
Whey (and casein). Never had issues with it, and it's still the long-established best protein for muscle gain.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Whey protein most of the time

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've never found a good tasting plant based protein. But I typically only use whey.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've never found a good tasting plant based protein. But I typically only use whey.
^This^ Would love to find a good tasting plant based powder but everything so far have been undrinkable...

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you're getting a protein isolate I don't understand the basis for selecting a more expensive protein source. Without the fats, you're not getting any type of hormones or anything from the animal....if its truly an isolate I have a hard time believing it would be more or less alkaline than a vegetable isolate?

If we're talking pure protein, no matter what the source is the level of alkalinity would be coming from the amino acids, correct? And if both are complete proteins, aren't we going to see a very similar profile in terms of the amounts of each amino? So we're going to be about even?

I can understand how a salad is more alkaline than a steak, but when you're extracting/isolating for a certain item (the protein), I guess I don't understand how it could be any different. So my assumption is you're paying way more money for the same product, only it tastes worse

R

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I typically use Whey or a blended protein.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
SAN Rawfusion Banana Nut is pretty good tasting, I generally use whey/casein blends but will get Rawfusion because I genuinely like the taste

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
Whey. Or whey/casein. But hey even the whey becomes a whey/casein blend since I mix in milk (Fairlife these days)

Probably 99% are going to say whey or whey/casein

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
SAN Rawfusion Banana Nut is pretty good tasting, I generally use whey/casein blends but will get Rawfusion because I genuinely like the taste
I'm using mostly this stuff, and sometimes a stevia sweetened whey, but mostly to avoid artificial sweeteners where I can, not because I want a vegan protein. Also Rawfusion doesn't interfere with my zma at night, haha.

The strawberry chocolate and peanut chocolate are great as well.