Best supps for crossfit/strength, a little more muscle?

common.sense

Awards
Im trying to get my lifts and overall strength and endurance up without getting too bulky or muscley. Im 33 and have been working out for a while. Looked at test boosters but feel like theyre a waste. I want to stay lean but get stronger. Im 5'7, 160 and dont want to get above 170.

Any ideas?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Getting stronger will go hand in hand with gaining at least a little more size, as long as you consistently train for mobility and flexibility you shouldn't have any issues performing crossfit workouts with increased muscle mass (i.e. pro crossfit athletes) as far as supplements go basic ingredients like beta alanine, citrulline, creatine etc. can be helpful. Anything that would promote serious muscle or strength gains won''t be obtained OTC.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with the above. You can look into anabeta elite. I got pretty good gains naturally off of running it for 8 weeks.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd look into an all-in-one, like Tr1umph or Ergonine. Both are great and contain staples like creatine and betaine for strength, LCLT for recovery, etc. Tr1umph is really set apart with inclusions like rhodiola for endurance and mental benefits, alpha-GPC for power, and soy lecithin which has phosphatidic acid for muscle fullness and as a natural anabolic. It's in the process of being reformulated, but the current version is still available in a few flavors, and it is currently on sale on the Olympus Labs too (coupon code SPRINGCLEANING).

I'd say to look into Orig1n too, as that has strength, endurance, and hypertrophy benefits, but it can also have a big impact on appetite. So that entirely depends on how much you struggle to stay at your weight.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would vouch for an ergogenic aid such as PowerMax XT. It contains fully dosed ingredients to increase performance, boost recovery and increase body composition. It was recently re-formulated to contain whey, leucine, and BCAA which has been show to increase muscle protein synthesis post workout.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Im trying to get my lifts and overall strength and endurance up without getting too bulky or muscley. Im 33 and have been working out for a while. Looked at test boosters but feel like theyre a waste. I want to stay lean but get stronger. Im 5'7, 160 and dont want to get above 170.

Any ideas?
I'd opt for something like Anabeta Elite, MassMax XT or Tr1umph. All solid options!

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
Do crossfit or gain muscle

pick one
This may not be far from the truth

I'd look into an all-in-one, like Tr1umph or Ergonine. Both are great and contain staples like creatine and betaine for strength, LCLT for recovery, etc. Tr1umph is really set apart with inclusions like rhodiola for endurance and mental benefits, alpha-GPC for power, and soy lecithin which has phosphatidic acid for muscle fullness and as a natural anabolic. It's in the process of being reformulated, but the current version is still available in a few flavors, and it is currently on sale on the Olympus Labs too (coupon code SPRINGCLEANING).

I'd say to look into Orig1n too, as that has strength, endurance, and hypertrophy benefits, but it can also have a big impact on appetite. So that entirely depends on how much you struggle to stay at your weight.

y u temp me like this

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
This may not be far from the truth
Exactly. That's why I asked what his workouts look like. If his programming sucks, he'll never achieve his goal. Plus, nutrition will play a big part too

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Do crossfit or gain muscle

pick one
To be fair, I have some friends at the national competitive level who are jacked and Crossfit almost exclusively. Genetic Gods though I think.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
To be fair, I have some friends at the national competitive level who are jacked and Crossfit almost exclusively. Genetic Gods though I think.
Genetics obviously play a role. A lot of top athletes have a background in strength training and were jacked before they started crossfit. But it's possible to get jacked while doing CF if you have the proper programming

common.sense

Awards
OP, give me an example of your workouts
Ill start by working on the clean and jerk or snatch, front squat, pullup, or weighted pullup, muscle up, solo jerks, overhead squats, etc. I work on one or two main lifts and do something like a 5x5 and focus on technique. The reps will depend on weight and ease of the exercise.

Then ill do a wod like a fran, grace, cindy, dt, or other random workout for metabolic conditioning and cardio.

I dont really have a set program. Its whatever i feel i need to work on.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Something like Green Magnitude from Controlled Labs may seem fit for you. Creatine and Betaine Anhydrous, simple... but effective.

Ihatbanas

Awards
  • Established
Ill start by working on the clean and jerk or snatch, front squat, pullup, or weighted pullup, muscle up, solo jerks, overhead squats, etc. I work on one or two main lifts and do something like a 5x5 and focus on technique. The reps will depend on weight and ease of the exercise.

Then ill do a wod like a fran, grace, cindy, dt, or other random workout for metabolic conditioning and cardio.

I dont really have a set program. Its whatever i feel i need to work on.
I think you are in the right path but you would be better off following a program. You can always try built by Bergeron. It's free and good. I do crossfit too and do the same programming as katrin and Matt Fraser but obviously at a lower scaled. Check it out.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I think you are in the right path but you would be better off following a program. You can always try built by Bergeron. It's free and good. I do crossfit too and do the same programming as katrin and Matt Fraser but obviously at a lower scaled. Check it out.
I second this. You need a focused program. Doing crossfitty things without any thoughtful program is a recipe for disaster. You will not progress. And yes, I do crossfit. You can also try 5/3/1 with appropriately planned metcons. Many boxes and coaches follow 5/3/1 for strength. You just need to be smart with your programming. In one of Wendler's later e-books, he lays out how to set up 5/3/1 for a crossfitter.