Galantamine as alternative somatostatin inhibitor

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to be trying this as an alternative to Huperzine A. Reason being due to the long half-life of Huperzine I cannot sleep at night or very poorly. at best. Galantamine has a relatively ideal 7 hour half-life. Would this be a suitable alternative as a somatostatin inhibitor when running MK677? Anyone use it and any sides?

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Huperzine half life is over exaggerated, its actually much shorter then what is spread around.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Huperzine half life is over exaggerated, its actually much shorter then what is spread around.
This. It seems that huperzine's half life has been greatly exaggerated over the years. Looking through the actual studies and not just some random write-up or blog post, the longest recorded half life I've seen is 12 hours, with other studies noting an even shorter half-life, typically 5-6 hours. The longest (12 hours) half-life was observed following a 400mcg dose, while the study that used what I think is 90mcg (the study says that each tablet contained 90mcg, but then that the subjects consumed 990mcg "tablet." There is no mention of taking more than 1 tablet, much less the 11 tablets that'd be neded to get 990mcg, which seems like a huge dose of huperzine, and a ton of tablets) reported a half-life of just under 5 hours. It seems likely that it was 1 90mcg "tablet" not 11 90mcg tabletS.

The half-life of galantamine is about 7-8 hours, so it's possible that huperzine has a similar, or even shorter, half life compared with galantamine.

Additionally, both huperzine and galantamine have been shown to inhibit AChE at 8 hours post-administration (the latest tested time), with huperzine reaching peak inhibition faster than galantamine.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
thanks and bugger that I should have further researched the half-life of huperzine prior to jumping on galantamine. My sources on half-life are all exaggerated 10-14 hours for huperzine. Nevertheless huperzine taken in the AM at 200mcg keeps me wired and interferes with my sleep. I could try sourcing lower dosed huperzine in future.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks and bugger that I should have further researched the half-life of huperzine prior to jumping on galantamine. My sources on half-life are all exaggerated 10-14 hours for huperzine. Nevertheless huperzine taken in the AM at 200mcg keeps me wired and interferes with my sleep. I could try sourcing lower dosed huperzine in future.
If it is keeping you up and interfering with your sleep, then I suppose that the technical half-life doesn't really matter all that much. You could try galantamine if huperzine doesn't treat you well, and one of the studies I mentioned earlier actually compared various doses of huperzine with galantamine. It found that, in simplest terms, 100mcg inhibited AChE to a similar degree as 4mg galantamine, just a tiny bit more (AChE to 83% of original levels compared to 85%), and reached maximum inhibition faster (90 min for hup, 150 min for galant). Also, 200mcg huperzine inhibited AChE slightly more than 8mg galantamine (down to 72% vs 75%), and reached peak inhibition faster (30 min vs 210 min).

With that in mind, it shows that they are both similar in AChE inhibiting ability, and are both pretty long lasting, within reason of course (AChE remained inhibited at 8 hours post-administration). If huperzine doesn't treat you well, then you could try galantamine, just keep in mind that it isn't, despite what some people say, a "stronger" or "buffed up" or "prescription strength" huperzine-A, just a similar alternative. It's also going to be more expensive.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for taking the time for such an elaborate response. Appreciate it. I'd already placed an order for galantamine so I'll give it a try anyway at 4mg dosed in the early AM.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
muscleupcrohn Nootropics 22
tyga tyga Nootropics 10
Company Promotions 3
Supplements 2
Supplements 28