Protein Bars - Thoughts and Best Ones out There

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
What are you guys' thoughts on protein bars? I hear to stay away from them, but they really help if you are in a time crunch and don't have access to protein powder or water or food. Is there a brand that tastes good but offers really low carbs?

runtyemonster

Awards
Quest bars are pretty good. They use erythritol to sweeten them and they have a good amount of flavors.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What are you guys' thoughts on protein bars? I hear to stay away from them, but they really help if you are in a time crunch and don't have access to protein powder or water or food. Is there a brand that tastes good but offers really low carbs?
Quest may not be "low carb", but most of the carbs are from Fiber so its a bit of a wash. Flavor wise Cookies/Cream, Mint Cookie, and Chocolate Chip (or maybe its cookie dough?) are my favorite. The newer style quest (like the hero bars)have much more sugar, so be aware they aren't all created equal.

BSN Syntha 6 bars are great tasting but have like 22g carbs - almost no sugar but there's no fiber either. They taste like rice crispy treats to me, especially the marshmellow. Chocolate was good too, as was the Toffee Pretzel. Healthiest thing in the world? No. But good for a pinch - i keep them in my desk and if I miss lunch I'll snack on that to hold me over. I probably only eat 1 a week, sometimes none at all.

My personal favorite for lower carb bars are the PowerCrunch. Original Peanut Fudge is my favorite, peanut cream is good. Vanilla/chocolate are okay. Mint tastes like Girl Scout Cookies Thin Mints, sometimes I freeze the bar and eat it that way. So delicious! They just came out with a red velvet but I haven't tried it. These are mostly fat based and only have somewhere around 11g carbs. HOWEVER, the protein content is also lesser (around 12-14g i think). I keep these around for night time once in a while - when I want something sweet I snack on one of these.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I should add, if you're looking for nutrition.......having a healthy supply of string cheese can be a good replacement if you deal with dairy well and don't take much in elsewhere. I grab the 2% milk ones, you can bang three of those back and get a good 22-24g of protein with minimal carbs.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I like the power crunch. Just not very high on protein usually around 13 grams but very tasty and is like a sugar wafer texture so not chewy like most are. Quest bars are my number 2

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I like the power crunch. Just not very high on protein usually around 13 grams but very tasty and is like a sugar wafer texture so not chewy like most are. Quest bars are my number 2
As you can see above I totally agree. If you're looking for a lower carb sweet snack that doesn't need to be refrigerated you'll be hard pressed to find a better option than powercrunch. Like you said, they taste like a chocolate coated sugar wafer cookie, like we used to eat when we were kids lol.

If you're relying on bars to get to your protein goals, you probably need to readdress your diet in general anyways.

ThorBara

ThorBara

Awards
Quest Bars have only 5/8 grams of net carbs, the rest are fibers.

Eight

Eight

Awards
The missus and I have been on a quest lately to perfect the whey protein bar, and we're getting close. Her cappuccino one is perhaps the best protein bar I've ever had.

Other than that, Grenade Carb Killa is pretty good. But mostly I buy the cheapest ones with that are basically solid blocks of whey.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The missus and I have been on a quest lately to perfect the whey protein bar, and we're getting close. Her cappuccino one is perhaps the best protein bar I've ever had.

Other than that, Grenade Carb Killa is pretty good. But mostly I buy the cheapest ones with that are basically solid blocks of whey.

dont leave us hanging ;) whats the recipe

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
The new quest hero bars are absolutely phenomenal. About 5 g net carbs. Taste like heaven. One of the lower calorie protein bars I've found and has 16-17 g protein. Fair warning though that they're addictive they're so good lol

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The new quest hero bars are absolutely phenomenal. About 5 g net carbs. Taste like heaven. One of the lower calorie protein bars I've found and has 16-17 g protein. Fair warning though that they're addictive they're so good lol
Use a glucometer and eat a quest bar. See if you truly believe the whole net carb thing after trying that.. Just sayin'
I know a few people who are Type 1 diabetic and use a continuous glucose monitor. Their BG Raises quite a bit after eating a quest bar even with all the "net carbs". I would say they are a little off just based off what I have seen in my clients and others who check their Blood Glucose levels after certain food sources.

FitCrunch = best tasting protein bars on the market hands down... Peanut butter tastes like a reese's
MyBar (ProSupps), Nitrotech Crunch (MT), and Oh Yeah One are hands down the top 3 out there for flavoring and good profile.
Grenade I would put as a runner up to those 3 and quest coming in at 5. Quest gets hard super fast and are like rocks. Their flavoring is decent at best, but there are much better options above.

My Bar - Iced Cinnamon & Confetti Cake are solid
NitroTech Crunch - Birthday Cake = Awesome, Cinn Bun & Choc PB are both slamming good
Oh yeah One - Birthday Cake, Cinnamon Roll, Almond Bliss, Maple Glazed Donut, and Blueberry are good
Grenade - White Chocolate is the best followed up by Caramel Chaos

Eight

Eight

Awards
dont leave us hanging ;) whats the recipe
It's more than my life is worth to go giving out her recipes... especially when they're still in progress.

I like you lot, but not that much. :)

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's more than my life is worth to go giving out her recipes... especially when they're still in progress.

I like you lot, but not that much. :)
I'll keep my lips sealed. Unless I'm eating one

dpopovici

dpopovici

Awards
Xs sports protein bars 20 G protein 250 calories 19 g carbs

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hahah.

I'm sure she'll share the secrets when she's done tweaking. In the mean time, I'll just have to enjoy them on your behalf.
well, next time you eat one crumble a little bar on the ground for your hungry homies!

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Use a glucometer and eat a quest bar. See if you truly believe the whole net carb thing after trying that.. Just sayin'
I know a few people who are Type 1 diabetic and use a continuous glucose monitor. Their BG Raises quite a bit after eating a quest bar even with all the "net carbs". I would say they are a little off just based off what I have seen in my clients and others who check their Blood Glucose levels after certain food sources.

FitCrunch = best tasting protein bars on the market hands down... Peanut butter tastes like a reese's
MyBar (ProSupps), Nitrotech Crunch (MT), and Oh Yeah One are hands down the top 3 out there for flavoring and good profile.
Grenade I would put as a runner up to those 3 and quest coming in at 5. Quest gets hard super fast and are like rocks. Their flavoring is decent at best, but there are much better options above.

NitroTech Crunch - Birthday Cake = Awesome, Cinn Bun & Choc PB are both slamming good
Oh yeah One - Birthday Cake, Cinnamon Roll, Almond Bliss, Maple Glazed Donut, and Blueberry are good
I could be wrong but my understanding is that blood glucose can rise due to insulin responses? Which I believe has been shown to occur with some amino acids, diet sodas, etc. the allulose in it may contribute to it. Regardless, pretty low calories and pretty high protein. Also the Hero bars don't upset my stomach as much as others. Overall those are the main factors I look for in a bar

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established

This is the man to listen to for protein treats!!!!!

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy the Oh Yeah! ONE and Fit Crunch bars. Haven't tried the Grenade bars, I think they are worth a purchase someday. I also like the Oh Snap! Rice krispie-style protein treats.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
NitroTech Crunch Bars
Syntha 6 Bars
Grenade Bars
Oh Yeah Bars

Those would be my suggestions.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I enjoy the Oh Yeah! ONE and Fit Crunch bars. Haven't tried the Grenade bars, I think they are worth a purchase someday. I also like the Oh Snap! Rice krispie-style protein treats.
I like the Oh Snap too, but would not choose them as my go to since the main source of protein is soy. Soy is fine, but with all the other options out there, I would defer.

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I like the Oh Snap too, but would not choose them as my go to since the main source of protein is soy. Soy is fine, but with all the other options out there, I would defer.
They're really just snacks, and I'd agree that I'd probably choose another source as a protein bar. But it's never a problem to add in one or two every now and then especially if they're found on sale

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I could be wrong but my understanding is that blood glucose can rise due to insulin responses? Which I believe has been shown to occur with some amino acids, diet sodas, etc. the allulose in it may contribute to it. Regardless, pretty low calories and pretty high protein. Also the Hero bars don't upset my stomach as much as others. Overall those are the main factors I look for in a bar
Sure a small amount for any macronutrients will cause an insulin response . Monitor your BG levels after a quest bar it rises much more then it should. I would be surprised if these actually met label claims.

Again I have seen type I diabetics eat these and it rose higher then eating white rice, English muffins, breads, pasta and other carb sources. Net carbs or not I don't trust the quest label after monitoring BG levels on my clients and diabetics the rise is much more then something that illicits under 10g net carbs

nakedear

nakedear

Awards
I have been a Quest Ambassador for a couple years now, so of course I will say Quest bars are best ones (especially white chocolate raspberry!). However, yes, bars should be supplemental to a sound diet. Don't rely on them as part of your daily intake...unless you have to.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Sure a small amount for any macronutrients will cause an insulin response . Monitor your BG levels after a quest bar it rises much more then it should. I would be surprised if these actually met label claims.

Again I have seen type I diabetics eat these and it rose higher then eating white rice, English muffins, breads, pasta and other carb sources. Net carbs or not I don't trust the quest label after monitoring BG levels on my clients and diabetics the rise is much more then something that illicits under 10g net carbs
I understand and respect your opinion. I've had pretty high BG levels after eating meat strangely enough lol. However, to my knowledge Quest has been known as reputable and I'm confident that the calorimetry analysis and nutrition label is in fact accurate. Falsifying nutrition label content is frowned upon by the FDA to say the least haha. I can say from experience that I believe their carb claims to be right. My reasoning? I'm very sensitive to carbs and I'm lame and eat almost the exact same things at the same times every day. If I go above a carb threshold I have much more noticeable pumps the next day. I document it rigorously and it's never been wrong. I added a few quest hero bars one night. No significant lethargy as happens with high carb meals and my pumps at the gym the following morning were very unimpressive. Just my experience and anecdotal analysis! Lot of great options being put out here though! OP should have no problems finding one(s) he likes. I may even have to give some a go!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I understand and respect your opinion. I've had pretty high BG levels after eating meat strangely enough lol. However, to my knowledge Quest has been known as reputable and I'm confident that the calorimetry analysis and nutrition label is in fact accurate. Falsifying nutrition label content is frowned upon by the FDA to say the least haha. I can say from experience that I believe their carb claims to be right. My reasoning? I'm very sensitive to carbs and I'm lame and eat almost the exact same things at the same times every day. If I go above a carb threshold I have much more noticeable pumps the next day. I document it rigorously and it's never been wrong. I added a few quest hero bars one night. No significant lethargy as happens with high carb meals and my pumps at the gym the following morning were very unimpressive. Just my experience and anecdotal analysis! Lot of great options being put out here though! OP should have no problems finding one(s) he likes. I may even have to give some a go!
Sure that is your experience, again I have had Type I diabetics consume these bars and watch their BG go sky high through the roof. Not making this stuff up. Again you are entitled to your own opinion, until you actually have people who are diabetic eat these bars and see how their insulin levels react it may raise a red flag. I have just seen it from first hand experience, as have many others. I know a few company owners who have experienced this as well while eating quest bars. Do i think they are a reputable brand? Sure.. There are many reputable brands that somehow leave a thing slide under the nutritional label or in their products from time to time. Just because they are well known or respected does not always mean it is 100% accurate. Welcome to the supplement industry where you find lots of things that go wrong, lawsuits happening, and products that don't meet label claims. Won't be the first time, and it will not be the last.

Beta

Awards
  • Established

I'm not questioning your experience in this matter by any means but have any of you guys checked out Labdoor? Last time I checked they gave quest top marks on purity/label accuracy.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm not questioning your experience in this matter by any means but have any of you guys checked out Labdoor? Last time I checked they gave quest top marks on purity/label accuracy.
Labdoor statements are absolutely horrendous and not worth a damn dime. They are totally bogus.
They ranked proteins that are spiked.. (don't meet label claims) VERY high.
Body Fortress being one of them which is absolute garbage. These people (Labdoor) do not do 3rd party or nitrogen tests to ensure you are getting which is 100% on the companies labels. So no they are nothing to even consider taking into account when labeling a product good or bad.

The CEO Of Labdoor even said this:

"A supplement that claims 30g of protein and delivers 25g will beat one that claims 20g of protein and delivers 20g."

Credibility? Not even once... They would put a spiked product on top of a product that meets label claims.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Sure that is your experience, again I have had Type I diabetics consume these bars and watch their BG go sky high through the roof. Not making this stuff up. Again you are entitled to your own opinion, until you actually have people who are diabetic eat these bars and see how their insulin levels react it may raise a red flag. I have just seen it from first hand experience, as have many others. I know a few company owners who have experienced this as well while eating quest bars. Do i think they are a reputable brand? Sure.. There are many reputable brands that somehow leave a thing slide under the nutritional label or in their products from time to time. Just because they are well known or respected does not always mean it is 100% accurate. Welcome to the supplement industry where you find lots of things that go wrong, lawsuits happening, and products that don't meet label claims. Won't be the first time, and it will not be the last.
I see your POV but I have experience with the FDA requirements for nutrition supplements. It's strict and highly analytically based. It's not something where you can just write whatever you want on there, unless you're a small shady company with a somewhat low target audience IMO. I work in development at a company that produces some consumables. Before getting it to market the FDA audits and inspections are extremely rigorous. If not, people would just add junk like trans fats for taste and just call it saturated fat or something on the label. Also, there is anecdotal evidence that some with type 1 diabetes observe a BG spike but the majority I've found on the web don't. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! Always good to hear different opinions!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I see your POV but I have experience with the FDA requirements for nutrition supplements. It's strict and highly analytically based. It's not something where you can just write whatever you want on there, unless you're a small shady company with a somewhat low target audience IMO. I work in development at a company that produces some consumables. Before getting it to market the FDA audits and inspections are extremely rigorous. If not, people would just add junk like trans fats for taste and just call it saturated fat or something on the label. Also, there is anecdotal evidence that some with type 1 diabetes observe a BG spike but the majority I've found on the web don't. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! Always good to hear different opinions!
I am very well aware of this, and communicate with company owners on a weekly basis.
I utilize a glucometer to make sure my clients can intake certain sources without their BG levels going out of whack.

I challenge you to track your BG and try with quest bars compared to other bars on the market. Report back when you notice that quest bars elevate BG levels much more then some of the competitors out there. Just speaking from my personal experience and with my clients and those whom are diabetic. Trust me I have been around the block when it comes to the FDA and supplement industry or else I would not be writing or typing these experiences. My friend WORKS for quest and works in the keto department with the company and flies out to texas (where they run keto trials). Even he has had the same experience using quest bars and products.

But as you said.. to each their own.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
I am very well aware of this, and communicate with company owners on a weekly basis.
I utilize a glucometer to make sure my clients can intake certain sources without their BG levels going out of whack.

I challenge you to track your BG and try with quest bars compared to other bars on the market. Report back when you notice that quest bars elevate BG levels much more then some of the competitors out there. Just speaking from my personal experience and with my clients and those whom are diabetic. Trust me I have been around the block when it comes to the FDA and supplement industry or else I would not be writing or typing these experiences. My friend WORKS for quest and works in the keto department with the company and flies out to texas (where they run keto trials). Even he has had the same experience using quest bars and products.

But as you said.. to each their own.
I'm confused. Your friend is employed by them in a department that produces a faulty claim product? And he divulges that information? They fly to Texas to conduct keto tests knowing that the product isn't going to pass? Might be missing something

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm confused. Your friend is employed by them in a department that produces a faulty claim product? And he divulges that information? They fly to Texas to conduct keto tests knowing that the product isn't going to pass? Might be missing something
My friend works in the keto department. he is one of my own clients who I monitor all of his nutrition, diet, and training.
I had him compare 4 different bars on the market and monitor his BG levels. Quest had his BG levels raise the highest of the 4 bars he took.

Again another reason WHY I use a glucometer with my clients, and track their food intake to see what is doing what in their body. This is very important for those whom are diabetic because they have to keep their insulin levels at a certain range. When BG levels raise too high they can go hypo.

Again I ask you to compare Quest to other bars and monitor your BG Levels, let me know what they all come back to when you try it out and see for yourself. I can say the same with my other clients or those whom I know that are diabetic and intake quest bars. They BG raises the highest when they eat quest bars.

Just speaking from experience and what I have seen.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
My friend works in the keto department. he is one of my own clients who I monitor all of his nutrition, diet, and training.
I had him compare 4 different bars on the market and monitor his BG levels. Quest had his BG levels raise the highest of the 4 bars he took.
He conducts and runs keto experiments for the company which runs out of texas and back to cali where the HQ is for quest
. Again another reason WHY I use a glucometer with my clients, and track their food intake to see what is doing what in their body. This is very important for those whom are diabetic because they have to keep their insulin levels at a certain range. When BG levels raise too high they can go hypo.

Again I ask you to compare Quest to other bars and monitor your BG Levels, let me know what they all come back to when you try it out and see for yourself. I can say the same with my other clients or those whom I know that are diabetic and intake quest bars. They BG raises the highest when they eat quest bars.

Just speaking from experience and what I have seen.
Very interesting! I'd be curious to see the data and statistical significance. I guess there's only one way for me to find out for certain though! Glucose meter and protein bar shopping trip coming up!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Very interesting! I'd be curious to see the data and statistical significance. I guess there's only one way for me to find out for certain though! Glucose meter and protein bar shopping trip coming up!
Im not here to make assumptions but when I have had diabetics find quest rose their BG levels higher then other bars on the market even with how low they were in net carbs it makes you raise an eyebrow

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Im not here to make assumptions but when I have had diabetics find quest rose their BG levels higher then other bars on the market even with how low they were in net carbs it makes you raise an eyebrow
Oh for certain. It's really inspiring that you're so attentive to details with your clients, especially ones with such a horrible disease. I'll make sure to update you on the results of my home experiment!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Oh for certain. It's really inspiring that you're so attentive to details with your clients, especially ones with such a horrible disease. I'll make sure to update you on the results of my home experiment!
Well they are diabetic man. If their insulin levels get too high it can be a disaster. When you have people that need to be cautious of what they intake and their health it is a serious matter. I don't want to be the cause of them going hypo and ending up in the ER. It helps open your eyes a bit more about the human body, and it is beneficial for my clients who compete. During peak week you want to load them on carbs that help keep BG levels down, this way you know they are processing them more efficiently they just giving them waffles, syrup, and other high GI Carbs that could raise their insulin and BG through the roof. It makes you learn a lot about the human body and other aspects people very highly overlook about health.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not super low carb, but my two favorite bars are oh yeah one bars and Dymatize Elite

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh' Yeah Bars. My favorite is Birthday Cake.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Mission bars by muscle tech aren't bad and opti bar the taste of these are nothing like a quest or oh yeah bar.... but they have decent profile...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Id be surprised if they didnt.

Get your clients to test other bars, and im sure you'll see a resemblance ;)

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
If it taste to good to be true it prolly is....

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established

Im not gonna lie........I actually scrolled down just to see your username because I knew if you took the time to chime in, it would be worth reading your reviews/recommendations.
BUT.....just looking at your list is making me fart from all the Maltitol. Damn.....why do companies still use that ****? Gas. Bloating. The runs. And it impacts blood sugar just like real sugar. wtf