Glutamine! Amazing or Scam?

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
I see lots and lots of articles on the benefits of glutamine with recovery, GH production, and etc. Then I see lots of forums and others saying how practically useless glutamine because of the abundance of it in the body.

It's rather cheap as well though. But I'd rather place that money on food or something else than a waste.

An added 10g of glutamine every day really beneficial or just another state of the art black wallet hole?

Thanks y'all.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Pass on it:

Glutamine will only help digestion aid . It will have 0 impact on your performance or strength. That my friends is the placebo effect at its finest. There is no asset to glutamine with GH Production or recovery, just for digestion purposes. You get adequate glutamine consuming plenty of whole foods and using protein powders when you can't reach your protein intake.

"Supplemental glutamine would only benefit us if our intracellular muscle glutamine concentrations were depleted. There are numerous studies that indicate no intracellular muscle glutamine depletion whatsoever following extensive exercise, but even if we do experience some glutamine attenuation.... we are still producing it within us, and getting it through our diet.

In healthy adults, dietary consumption of glutamine has been estimated to be around 5 grams per day (3). Foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, beans, cabbage, spinach, parsley, beets, ect. are all common sources. A single 3-oz serving of meat contains around 3-4 grams of glutamine. (4)

Now let's add on top of all that, the fact that an average 50 gram protein shake, there's about 4.5+ grams of glutamine. So for a 150 lb individual at only 2 protein shakes a day, that's around 9-10 grams of supplemental glutamine. "

"addition of glutamine did not affect whole-body protein synthesis post-exercise. The rate of MPS was not different between trials. The addition of glutamine to a CHO + EAA beverage had no effect on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein synthesis"

"glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults."

"short-term ingestion of glutamine does not enhance weightlifting performance in resistance-trained men."

"Although glutamine supplementation may increase plasma glutamine levels, its effect on enhancement of the immune system and prevention of adverse effects of the overtraining syndrome are equivocal"

"although the glutamine hypothesis may explain immunodepression related to other stressful conditions such as trauma and burn, plasma glutamine concentration is not likely to play a mechanistic role in exercise-induced immunodepression."

http://jap.physiology.org/content/93/3/813
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/9/2580.full.pdf
http://gut.bmj.com/content/45/1/6.full
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17111006
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11834123
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10410846
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12183472

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Perfect, I appreciate it before I spent the money lmao!

boulon

Awards
Enormous scam, my trash don't want it lfmao

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Glutamine will only do so much, but the claims of vastly increased recovery is very overstated from my experience. It may still have a place for its aid in digestion and intestinal health.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Skip loose free form glutamine.

If you want to use a superior form of glutamine, check into Sustamine, aka L-alanyl L-Glutamine. The inclusion of Alanine allows the Glutamine to "survive" the stomach and make its way to the intestines for absorption into the bloodstream.

You can find it in iForce Finish Line.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Skip loose free form glutamine.

If you want to use a superior form of glutamine, check into Sustamine, aka L-alanyl L-Glutamine. The inclusion of Alanine allows the Glutamine to "survive" the stomach and make its way to the intestines for absorption into the bloodstream.

You can find it in iForce Finish Line.
Exactly that’s a far superior form of glutamine

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with all of the info in here.

I cracked open a tub of Xtend; I forgot it has loose Glutamine. As much as I love Xtend, why is this still in the formula?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Exactly. If any thing use sustamine

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I agree with all of the info in here.

I cracked open a tub of Xtend; I forgot it has loose Glutamine. As much as I love Xtend, why is this still in the formula?
It has been there for 10 years man. Why fix what ain't broken? Xtend is easily one of the top selling BCAA products ever on the market.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why pay for glutamine if it’s useless ?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why pay for glutamine if it’s useless ?
Do you think it is cheap to recreate a formula that has dominated the BCAA market for a decade? Think about that.
Xtend was changed a few years ago when switching labels and they swapped out a lot of flavoring for an added electrolyte blend. While nothing will ever taste as good as the OG Watermelon, it is safe to say the formula was not harmed, and has only improved.

Everything is in the hands of nutrabolt now since mike sold the company. If anything lets hope they don't make the product worse.

ashenshugar77

Awards
But it's not useless. Like mentioned earlier in the thread it's great for digestive and intestinal health. As long as that works well you're doing a okay. When that gets ****ed up you're almost as good as done and you're going to wish you would've known more about it and cared.
L glutamine is mostly used in the intestines. Just because it doesn't leave there doesn't mean it's not doing its job...

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So why not use sustamine then.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Personally, after training for over 17 years, I still feel I get at least some recovery benefit from glutamine PWO.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
It's possible that Glutamine with carbs would be more bioavailable. Also, it's Glutamic Acid in protein not Glutamine which I understand is a bit different. Still, it appears that without carbs most Glutamine is converted into sugars.