BCAA Electrolyte Supplement Does Not Impact Fluid Shifts into Muscle or Performance

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ingestion of an Amino Acid Electrolyte Beverage during Resistance Exercise Does Not Impact Fluid Shifts into Muscle or Performance

Sports | Free Full-Text | Ingestion of an Amino Acid Electrolyte Beverage during Resistance Exercise Does Not Impact Fluid Shifts into Muscle or Performance

Collectively, these data demonstrate no direct benefit or detriment of ingesting AAE beverages on exercise performance, fluid shifts into muscle, perceived muscle soreness and weakness, and serum CK levels over a non-caloric placebo. However, future studies should investigate the potential long-term effect of AAE beverages in combination with resistance exercise.

Purpose:
The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of ingesting an amino acid-electrolyte (AAE) beverage during upper body resistance exercise on transient muscle hypertrophy, exercise performance, markers of muscle damage, and recovery

Findings:
The findings of this study suggest that the acute ingestion of a AAE beverage does not alter acute muscle thickness, performance, perceived soreness and weakness, or markers of muscle damage.

The beverage:
The amino acid content of the beverage investigated in this study provided four servings of 0.67 g L-Leucine, 0.32 g L-Isoleucine, 0.32 g L-Valine, 1 g L-Taurine, and 0.5 g L-Citrulline in addition to electrolytes.

^^^ Which is underdosed...... (2.4g L-Leucine, 1.2g L-Isoleucine, 1.2g Valine in 4 total servings)

Duywayne

Awards
  • Established
It's nearly 5grams of BCAA's, which isn't as low as you think considering how many products on the market use 5g serving. Scivation's claim is you need 7g, but hard to see how 2 additional grams of BCAA's would change the results significantly. I haven't read the full text so I'm just speculating.

runtyemonster

Awards
It's nearly 5grams of BCAA's, which isn't as low as you think considering how many products on the market use 5g serving. Scivation's claim is you need 7g, but hard to see how 2 additional grams of BCAA's would change the results significantly. I haven't read the full text so I'm just speculating.
Your right, I jumped the gun and only saw the 2.4grams at first. My bad.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Did they only measure after a single session?

If so, derp

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If I read that right (quick skim), the participants were resistance trained, and were then required to follow a pretty poor poor program for a single session using a low dose of aminos.

And they didn't see results.

Go figure