Point of diminishing returns for Fearns Soy Lecithin?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What is the maximum daily dosage of Fearns SL one should take? I've been happy with 2 tablespoons on off days and 3 on training days (typically 4-5 days per week).

Would I get any additional benefit if I increased the dose? I'm thinking I might take 3 tablespoons every day... is that a waste?

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I paid 9 bucks for a bottle so I take 3 before and 3 after per workout.

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I paid 9 bucks for a bottle so I take 3 before and 3 after per workout.
Did you work up to that dosage based on results or just arbitrarily pick it?

I didn't notice a difference between 2 and 3 tablespoons so I dropped back down to 2. Never even considered going that high.

Also, have you felt any adverse effects from the amount of choline you're getting? 2TBS gives 450mg (100% recommended intake). You're taking 6TBS (1.4g) and choline is in lots of food sources (meat, dairy, peanuts). Too much choline can have "toxicity" symptoms.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah im unsure if you will or not .. I did 2 @ 8weeks and was quite happy ..didnt even thought about experimenting it.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I didn't notice a difference between 2 and 3 tablespoons so I dropped back down to 2. Never even considered going that high.

Also, have you felt any adverse effects from the amount of choline you're getting? 2TBS gives 450mg (100% recommended intake). You're taking 6TBS (1.4g) and choline is in lots of food sources (meat, dairy, peanuts). Too much choline can have "toxicity" symptoms.
Just read some take 2 or 3 before and after a workout, just play around with it and see what dosage works for you.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
3 before and 3 after seems like a LOT! I'm going to go with 3 daily and see if I notice anything.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Good to know about the Choline! I hadn't considered that.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good to know about the Choline! I hadn't considered that.
Choline in the diet is available as free choline or is bound as esters such as phosphocholine, glycerophosphocholine, sphingomyelin, or phosphatidylcholine. The critical adverse effect from high intake of choline is hypotension, with corroborative evidence on cholinergic side effects (e.g., sweating and diarrhea) and fishy body odor. The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for adults is 3.5 g/day.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK114308/
acute oral supplementation with PC (~0.2 g PC per kg body mass) has been demonstrated to improve performance in a variety of sporting activities where exercise has depleted circulatory choline concentrations.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1997116/
That's about 13.6g PC for a 150lb individual, and Fearn lecithin granules have 3.45g per 2 tbsp.

Reactions: Nac
Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't see the point to taking any post workout. Not that there isn't any benefit, but I wouldn't know. To me it just seems like extra fat calories. I'd prefer a little less fat post workout, with more focus on carbs, but that is specific to my dieting.

I find two tablespoons is good to go. I've noticed more fullness(durring workout) at three and four, but not sure if there is any more of a benefit than that. I'd imagine 4+ to be unnecessary, and the bloating+(possible) stomach cramps to be an issue. Would probably hinder my workout.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I don't see the point to taking any post workout. Not that there isn't any benefit, but I wouldn't know. To me it just seems like extra fat calories. I'd prefer a little less fat post workout, with more focus on carbs, but that is specific to my dieting.

I find two tablespoons is good to go. I've noticed more fullness(durring workout) at three and four, but not sure if there is any more of a benefit than that. I'd imagine 4+ to be unnecessary, and the bloating+(possible) stomach cramps to be an issue. Would probably hinder my workout.
I agree, 4 tablespoons would bloat me pretty bad. The strange thing is I get more bloating on days where I take 2 and don't train afterwards than on days when I take 3 and go train 30 minutes later. I wonder why, you would think training pulls blood out of the stomach and would lead to more bloat, especially with the extra tablespoon.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The one study by, *cough*, Wilson, dosed 400mg of concentrated PA pre-workout, and 300mg post... breakfast and dinner on off days. ChemiNutra also did a study - forget how they dosed. Other disinterested 3rd parties have done studies (2?) that showed no benefit. Some complaints about those are either not enough (1), or too little volume (1) - maybe that's valid, maybe not. The stuff is definitely healthy, and cheap - so it's really a philosophical argument if you should take it even if it doesn't build muscle.