My favorite strength supplements (that don't suppress testosterone), what are yours?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you've experienced gains in strength from a supplement please post your experience. How did you know it was not placebo effect? How long before you noticed a difference in strength? What lift/lifts did it impact most?

My favorite supplements for strength have been creatine monohydrate and PA. I've tried going over 5 grams a day with creatine but found no added benefit. I like it because it's cheap and effective. 5 grams once a day and you're good to go. I would attribute 4-5 pounds of bodyweight and 5-10 pounds (maybe a couple more) on my bench press to creatine. I know it works because I loose a little strength and recovery between sets when I stopped taking it. I never go off now but when I started taking it I noticed the effects around 2 weeks in. I didn't load high doses either.

PA feels similar to creatine for me, slightly less effective. It took a little longer to have an effect, maybe 3-4 weeks. I was following a linear progression routine and stalled out on progress. Without any additional changes I found I was able to do an extra 1-2 reps on most lifts. I gained a couple pounds of weight. I know it's nothing crazy but after lifting for 15 years the gains come slow. A few extra reps put a smile on my face.

I'm considering ARA but not sure if it will be worth it. I just started powerlifting and joint pain is a concern. What do you guys like for strength?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Creatine and PA are definitely both great natural products for strength. If you have issues or concerns with joint pain, ArA might not be the best choice. I usually don't have any issues with joints, but ArA always gives me trouble with my elbows.

A few other products that have helped me noticeably with strength are Massmax XT and ABE. Since Massmax XT increased hunger, I felt like I could eat more and feel more energized for training. I was eating in a slight surplus and training heavy while running Massmax XT, and I noticed overall strength gain, especially in my compound lifts. The feedback on the product so far has been solid, and most users have reported an effect with strength and size gain

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I wish that I had gotten more results from PA, messed with dosing, different products, etc. Didn't do too much for me personally. Creatine of course has helped me as much as it can, no reason for me to not take it with the proven ergogenic benefits. Betaine anhydrous definitely helps me with power output and literature supports that. I noticed strength increases (along with lean mass) when using the new Novedex XT. I noted this especially because I was actually in a caloric deficit, so I know that my diet was not contributing to the strength.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
COP - one of the few single ingredients I ever ran 100% solo and noticed something from. Took about 2 weeks to build up, but once it did, IIRC I was able to add about 5lb to most heavy lifts that had been stalled. Was able to maintain that strength upon stopping as well (believe I ran it for about 6 weeks)

Xgels/ArA - this is a pretty common one and one that I run regularly and see 5-10lb gains on major lifts which I can maintain post run as well. I don't get the doms or joint pains either so this is a great one for me

Getting fat - this is far and away the easiest way for me to gain strength ha. My bench press barely ever moves unless im chubby.

I'll always take creatine as its so cheap, but since its a staple and I run lots of other things, I can't say 100% that it has impacted me. I assume it does, based on science, but never run it solo just to see.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you've experienced gains in strength from a supplement please post your experience. How did you know it was not placebo effect? How long before you noticed a difference in strength? What lift/lifts did it impact most?

My favorite supplements for strength have been creatine monohydrate and PA. I've tried going over 5 grams a day with creatine but found no added benefit. I like it because it's cheap and effective. 5 grams once a day and you're good to go. I would attribute 4-5 pounds of bodyweight and 5-10 pounds (maybe a couple more) on my bench press to creatine. I know it works because I loose a little strength and recovery between sets when I stopped taking it. I never go off now but when I started taking it I noticed the effects around 2 weeks in. I didn't load high doses either.

PA feels similar to creatine for me, slightly less effective. It took a little longer to have an effect, maybe 3-4 weeks. I was following a linear progression routine and stalled out on progress. Without any additional changes I found I was able to do an extra 1-2 reps on most lifts. I gained a couple pounds of weight. I know it's nothing crazy but after lifting for 15 years the gains come slow. A few extra reps put a smile on my face.

I'm considering ARA but not sure if it will be worth it. I just started powerlifting and joint pain is a concern. What do you guys like for strength?
Did you use soy leth or what type of PA and what is COP.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
COP = creatinol-o-phosphate (and no, its not related to creatine in any way ha)

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I use FEARNS SL. I find it goes down easiest in a glass of water. I also like to drink it immediately after adding to water. If I let it sit in the water too long (more than 5 minutes) it tastes funky. I hear it goes well with yogurt, cereal, and shakes.

I get some bloating on days where I don't train and take FEARNS. I don't experience this if I take it pre workout. Strange...

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Getting fat - this is far and away the easiest way for me to gain strength ha. My bench press barely ever moves unless im chubby.QUOTE]

This is so true. I'm trying to set a bench press record in the future and right now I'm strong and fat (around 16-17%). I love the way I look and feel as a big fatty but I want the record so I'll have to do a long slow cut from 203 to 190 then water cut to the 183 pound class. Its either that or go from pressing 470 to 507. Man... I've got my work cut out for me.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Getting fat - this is far and away the easiest way for me to gain strength ha. My bench press barely ever moves unless im chubby.QUOTE]

This is so true. I'm trying to set a bench press record in the future and right now I'm strong and fat (around 16-17%). I love the way I look and feel as a big fatty but I want the record so I'll have to do a long slow cut from 203 to 190 then water cut to the 183 pound class. Its either that or go from pressing 470 to 507. Man... I've got my work cut out for me.
Pressing seems to be the biggest tie-in to body weight. Lots of guys that are much smaller/skinnier seem to be able to squat, and especially dead, but its VERY rare to see a lean guy with a massive bench. More often I see giant lean dudes with the bar or 225 max ha

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine is a staple for me, along with betaine.

I have also gotten good results with PA (both concentrated and from lecithin granules), even if all of the newest research on it isn't completely consistent.

When I'm overreaching (adding volume and/or frequency), HMB also helped me progress, even if it's not something that's going to increase your strength much just by taking it per se, but rather by taking advantage of the increased recovery.

I also gained a good amount of quality mass when I ran MassMax XT, part of which was due to the increased appetite. Of course, with that added mass came some strength increases too.

ArA is another option that a lot of people seem to enjoy, although, as you said, it's not for everyone. I avoid it due to my medical history, but for some people it's a really effective supplement that also goes well with PA.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine is a staple for me, along with betaine.

I have also gotten good results with PA (both concentrated and from lecithin granules), even if all of the newest research on it isn't completely consistent.

When I'm overreaching (adding volume and/or frequency), HMB also helped me progress, even if it's not something that's going to increase your strength much just by taking it per se, but rather by taking advantage of the increased recovery.

I also gained a good amount of quality mass when I ran MassMax XT, part of which was due to the increased appetite. Of course, with that added mass came some strength increases too.

ArA is another option that a lot of people seem to enjoy, although, as you said, it's not for everyone. I avoid it due to my medical history, but for some people it's a really effective supplement that also goes well with PA.
I called SNS and told them I was taking soy leth with my ARA and the rep there said he wouldn't take soy leth with ARA, didn't say why.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I called SNS and the gentleman there said he wouldn't take soy leth with ARA, didn't say why.
I've heard the exact opposite many times around here, and give reasons why it can be beneficial, by emulsifying the ArA if I recall correctly.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read that if you take 15grams of ornithine before your workout it will release GH. What kind of feeling will you get from GH release. Huge pump?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Betaine anhydrous: first time I took it was in Green Mag. It was the first product I remember giving me a boost. Also had creatine in it.

COP: a big thing I notice is an increase in strength endurance

X-Gels: weights that could be a struggle started to feel easy faster than a normal progression

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much soy leth do you take to get mTOR rolling.
Different brands and products will have different amounts of PA in them. As long as you get about 1.5g-2g of actual PA per day you should start to see/feel a difference within 2-3 weeks.
I know it's pricey but I used MuscleTech's PhosphaMuscle when I ran PA. MT use the patented Mediator PA, which is a purer form of phosphatidic acid.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Different brands and products will have different amounts of PA in them. As long as you get about 1.5g-2g of actual PA per day you should start to see/feel a difference within 2-3 weeks.
I know it's pricey but I used MuscleTech's PhosphaMuscle when I ran PA. MT use the patented Mediator PA, which is a purer form of phosphatidic acid.
Only 34 bucks on amazon, is that pricey.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only 34 bucks on amazon, is that pricey.
I'm not too sure how much you guys usually pay for extra support supps like PhosphaMuscle over there but over here in the UK it's £65 per bottle.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I called SNS and told them I was taking soy leth with my ARA and the rep there said he wouldn't take soy leth with ARA, didn't say why.
Yeah that's backwards. Lecithin (the granules) help to emulsify the xgels.

Only the granules tho. Straight micro PA has no synergy

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
With soy lechtin granules, I picked up a store brand from Deans Natural Market. I take two table spoons daily and on work out days just before I go to the gym. I just swallow the tablespoons whole. I've notice an increase in strength and gained about four pounds within a month. Could be a placebo effect but I'm happy with it.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With soy lechtin granules, I picked up a store brand from Deans Natural Market. I take two table spoons daily and on work out days just before I go to the gym. I just swallow the tablespoons whole. I've notice an increase in strength and gained about four pounds within a month. Could be a placebo effect but I'm happy with it.
This right here. soy lecithin granules with xgels. On day 21. My strength has gone up slightly. Other than that haven't noticed anything. I think I need to take some pics to check

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BMP cranks my strength up big time.

Comeuppance

Awards
I'll jump on the BMP bandwagon. I researched the ingredients when I found out about it and bought 4 bottles when it was on sale some years ago, and it's been sold out every time I've looked for it since. Good stuff, if a bit pricy.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll jump on the BMP bandwagon. I researched the ingredients when I found out about it and bought 4 bottles when it was on sale some years ago, and it's been sold out every time I've looked for it since. Good stuff, if a bit pricy.
The extracts that make BMP work so well are custom made for us, and they are definitely not cheap. The pouches are a fantastic deal at $20 each, but even with my unbiased opinion, the effects of BMP are so dramatic that I would pay double.