Best protein powder during Keto

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Hi Guys, my fiancee and I are about to start our Keto diet before our wedding on 1st September.

I was wondering which kind of protein powder do you normally use post workout during keto in order to do not spike insulin too much. I was looking into vegan proteins or blends as I know pure whey do spike insulin a lot.

Any suggestion?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the wedding!

All proteins containing BCAA, specifically leucine, will spike your insulin, honestly it's nothing to worry about! I've been doing Keto for nearly 9 months now and have never been affected by it, it'll shuttle the nutrients and drop pretty quick, it's only in the presence of breaking down carbs the spike take longer to settle! So as long as you're sticking to 20g NET carbs you'll be fine.
I personally use PES select or dedicated nutritions fusion pro, blends are much better than just whey but if you wanted to not add any carbs from the powders, go with an isolate :)

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the wedding!

All proteins containing BCAA, specifically leucine, will spike your insulin, honestly it's nothing to worry about! I've been doing Keto for nearly 9 months now and have never been affected by it, it'll shuttle the nutrients and drop pretty quick, it's only in the presence of breaking down carbs the spike take longer to settle! So as long as you're sticking to 20g NET carbs you'll be fine.
I personally use PES select or dedicated nutritions fusion pro, blends are much better than just whey but if you wanted to not add any carbs from the powders, go with an isolate :)
Thanks for the feedback! So you have been doing it for 9 months? How do you feel, like it? I was thinking to do 3 months until the wedding at about 2400 kcal, but I am very scared to be shirking

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Feel great, I wouldn't have been doing it for 9 months if I didn't like it haha now I do follow a TKD, 15g of fast carbs PWO but my whole diet is Keto, don't get me wrong if the missus want to go out for a meal or we have friends over , I'll have a cheat every couple of weeks and eats some carbs but then just straight back into my normal macros, I don't let it rule my life.
Well in order to work out your kcal you need to do a TDEE and go from there bro, scared of shrinking? Keto is actually protein/muscle sparing so keep you protein to 1g/lbm and you won't lose any muscle or minimum anyways. Now if you're worried about looking flat, up your sodium and potassium, it's fine to do this on Keto because if it's natural diuretic effects. My one advice would be to get a decent multi bit with at least 100% of all dailys, it can be hard to meet your micros on Keto without.

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Feel great, I wouldn't have been doing it for 9 months if I didn't like it haha now I do follow a TKD, 15g of fast carbs PWO but my whole diet is Keto, don't get me wrong if the missus want to go out for a meal or we have friends over , I'll have a cheat every couple of weeks and eats some carbs but then just straight back into my normal macros, I don't let it rule my life.
Well in order to work out your kcal you need to do a TDEE and go from there bro, scared of shrinking? Keto is actually protein/muscle sparing so keep you protein to 1g/lbm and you won't lose any muscle or minimum anyways. Now if you're worried about looking flat, up your sodium and potassium, it's fine to do this on Keto because if it's natural diuretic effects. My one advice would be to get a decent multi bit with at least 100% of all dailys, it can be hard to meet your micros on Keto without.
Great info here. So, generally speaking, you do have a cheat/refill every 2 weeks?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Generally speaking, it's not set in stone but yeah, I do go without sometimes and I would suggest for AT LEAST the first 2 months have no cheats, you want to set a solid Keto adaption, otherwise you will find it very hard to keep in any state of ketoisis without making a good foundation to start with

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
You'll never reach true ketosis or be able to jump back into it quick without doing it. Week 1 I start noticing fat loss

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
This seems a bit excessive to be fair. When did you start noticing fat loss?
It's not excessive. I would say 8-12 weeks for fat adaptation. Sometimes people are quicker, sometimes much longer (6-7mo). Fat adaptation is where the real $$$ in keto is!!

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
It's not excessive. I would say 8-12 weeks for fat adaptation. Sometimes people are quicker, sometimes much longer (6-7mo). Fat adaptation is where the real $$$ in keto is!!
When You mention "fat adaptation" do you mean fat loss, weight fluctuation etc etc?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
When You mention "fat adaptation" do you mean fat loss, weight fluctuation etc etc?
I mean it in the sense of your body preferring the use of ketones rather than glucose. Your performance in the gym at first on keto may struggle a little, as you switch from glucose to ketones as fuel. But down the road where your body prefers ketones and you are Using all/most of them Rather than pissing out excess is awesome. Both for mental state and physical state

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I mean it in the sense of your body preferring the use of ketones rather than glucose. Your performance in the gym at first on keto may struggle a little, as you switch from glucose to ketones as fuel. But down the road where your body prefers ketones and you are Using all/most of them Rather than pissing out excess is awesome. Both for mental state and physical state
Would you advise to use a BHB supplement to kick into ketosis? How beneficial are they in reality?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Would you advise to use a BHB supplement to kick into ketosis? How beneficial are they in reality?
No, waste of money unless using for performance. They are actually counterproductive to fat loss, which is what it looks like you are looking for.

Keto will start working day 1. What are your stats? How drastic do you want to cut? 2400 cals seems high to me on a keto diet, but everyone is different.

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
No, waste of money unless using for performance. They are actually counterproductive to fat loss, which is what it looks like you are looking for.

Keto will start working day 1. What are your stats? How drastic do you want to cut? 2400 cals seems high to me on a keto diet, but everyone is different.
I am 25 yo, 5.9, 185lbs. Fat should be around 16% however I do accumulate it specifically in my mid section, rather than the rest. My legs, for example, do not hold ANY fat and they are always very veny, as well as my arms. Abdomen and love handles are a true pain. I always diet down using just calory deficit, however I heard Keto would be much more effective. Only pain for me is the lack of stuff such as fruit, which I love in summer.

Regardless of the diet, I will be using 11 XT (once finish reduce XT), caffeine and alpa yohimbine.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
You can fit berries into your macros if you must, but keep under 20-30 net carbs (20 for first 4 weeks at least). Remember though, fructose isn't very anabolic in the sense of filling liver glycogen prior to muscle.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Typically when i'm on keto I will try and use an isolate powder post workout.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
My thoughts based on N=1 anecdote (me), YMMV based on individuality:

You'll never actually know if you are in Ketosis without testing your blood - I'd recommend a NovaMax Blood Ketone Meter.

Gluconeogenesis was off the chain with me, I had to drop to under 70g of Protein before my blood BHB registered at least 0.5mmol

You won't lose muscle IMO, but without DXA, that's a guess - I got stronger during though. Only lost a rep or two off of the 11-15 rep sets - probably due to glycogen.

There is no advantage to Keto as far as fat loss, when energy equated to other diets - this is from guys like D'Agostino himself. What it can do though, is provide better satiety due to the Ketones - which equals easier to stick to the diet, which equals better compliance = better fat loss.

^ That didn't work for me though - food volume was too low and the ketones couldn't make up for it with me. I was always hungry. I'll still "do keto" once a year though, because I do believe it's therapeutic in regards to cancer and insulin sensitivity.... I'll just be at maintenance calories for more food volume.

Good luck!

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Great feedback guys! How do you see adding 1.5ml XI-KT for 6 weeks to the diet and then use just an otc pct?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I've been under the impression and from personal experience that when keeping protein 0.8lb per LBM, and filling the rest of my calories with fat, I in turn end up burning my own fat for ketones rather than supplying myself with loads of dietary fat while in ketosis. Keto is so good at muscle sparing I think macros and total calories can be reduced compared to trying to cut with carbs.

For instance for me.. My maintenance with 40/40/20 is around 2700kcal, while my maintenance is around 2100 in keto. It's very interesting. These are the cals I can eat at for several weeks and not go up or down on the scale.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Also, Dom D is an amazing keto expert, but he does treat his patients with medical ketosis, rather than nutritional ketosis, at least back when I was listening to podcast after podcast with him guest starring. They are very different in terms of macros, specifically the lower protein and higher fat in medical ketosis.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A protein shake post workout isn't going to throw you out of ketosis. If you're worried, add some fat and/or fiber to blunt insulin response.

You can roll with an isolate, but protein by nature is insulinogenic. However as i already mentioned, it's not really an issue.

H

hanslifts

Awards
Subbed. This thread is probably one of the most informative threads I've seen on keto. Granted, I'm a newb here, but I'm learning a lot reading this.

U

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Back to the question at hand,

Check out ISOPURE Whey. Zero Carbs. But any good whey isolate has zero to very low carbs. The reason for the insulin spike is something called gluconeogenesis.

The synthesis of glucose from noncarbohydrate sources, such as amino acids and glycerol. It occurs primarily in the liver and kidneys whenever the supply of carbohydrates is insufficient to meet the body's energy needs. Because whey is rapidly absorbed it will cause this process to happen with a bigger insulin spike then eating chicken or meat after a work out. This is a good thing though as you want to get those nutrients in a fast as possible post work out. Its not going to kick you out of Ketosis.

L

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Are fibers going to kick me out of ketosis? I still did not get this part. I planned to eat about max 20g carbs, but can I have more fibers on top of them?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Are fibers going to kick me out of ketosis? I still did not get this part. I planned to eat about max 20g carbs, but can I have more fibers on top of them?
There's only one way to know how you personally react to protein and carbs:

https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/

And I'm now sounding like a broken record, so this'll be the last time :D But you may be surprised at how you react to some commonly held Keto nutritional strategies. DO NOT GO BY *JUST* KETOSTIX - would be my advice.

B

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
There's only one way to know how you personally react to protein and carbs:

https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/

And I'm now sounding like a broken record, so this'll be the last time :D But you may be surprised at how you react to some commonly held Keto nutritional strategies. DO NOT GO BY *JUST* KETOSTIX - would be my advice.
Ditto, blood test or ketonix breathalyzer. These are crucial if you want to get the best mileage in the time you have.