Anyone done dark chocolate pwo?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but I'm on a work trip and been doing fasted morning workouts, couple of mornings I have felt tired&sluggish and had som dark chocolate (70%) laying around so I a couple of squares and I had 2 of my best workouts!

Anyone done this with luck? I never had any luck with any epi supplement before which I expect being the reason for the performance enhancing.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It has carbs, epi and theobromine. All of them give a little boost.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You would have to eat a ton to get any real workout benefits. I think placebo effect is happening here

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You would have to eat a ton to get any real workout benefits. I think placebo effect is happening here
i would agree with this. It probably just gave you a boost of energy after eatting the dark chocolate. I don't think it has anything to do with epicatechin in it.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Didn't mean to rain on your parade bud have you considered a non or low stim preworkout for those early mornings?

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i would agree with this. It probably just gave you a boost of energy after eatting the dark chocolate. I don't think it has anything to do with epicatechin in it.
Well yeah,
Epi is a small part. Dark chocolate has tons of good stuff in it q

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
^ true, but as far as workout benefits it has little value. I agree though good to have a bit daily

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for a good excuse to eat a bunch of dark chocolate! :D

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
2 whole blocks of chocolate, or 2 small blocks from inside a packet? Lol

rexeus

Awards
This has been my experience too. I feel like I can workout harder and longer by adding pure cocoa powder to my pre workout shakes .

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1 tablespoon
That might even be 100 or even 500mg (if the 1 to 5% is correct) theobromine. A nice dose.
If I'm not mistaken, supplements usually have 50mg, rarely 100mg.

compan

compan

Awards
I have done this, but it was for the sugar and me liking dark chocolate. If I can get additional benefits, then you don't need to tell me twice. Come on science!

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just did 40 grams total, 20 before my workout and 20 after. I should be YUUUGE tomorrow.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IFN used to have Chocolate Truffle which is what I found to be the closest to dark chocolate protein flavoring

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's an 54% chocolate bar, it need to be over 70% to have all the health benefits.
Not looking for health benefits. Just wondering if it still has caffeine and if so, how much.