Exogenous Ketones works or a myth ?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Following, im on my third week of Keto now and Im always looking to learn more.

Chudmuffin

Awards
I went from 255 to 225 from January to March doing keto without using any keto supps. Not saying the product doesn't work but as long as you are eating right and staying in the gym I think you should save your money because you will lose weight without it.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Save your money. Exogenous ketones should be used only for performance and not for fat loss. Actually, using them can negate fat loss as your body will use them up first instead of breaking down your own fat into ketones.

Not to mention, they are the most costly supp out there that I can think of. Just eat keto and you'll be solid.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I went from 255 to 225 from January to March doing keto without using any keto supps. Not saying the product doesn't work but as long as you are eating right and staying in the gym I think you should save your money because you will lose weight without it.
I'd have to agree with this. I'd give it a shot with diet and alone and see what type of results you can get. I'm if you are strict with your diet you will yield good results!

Jbrooks

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to agree with this. I'd give it a shot with diet and alone and see what type of results you can get. I'm if you are strict with your diet you will yield good results!
I agree i do it with diet alone but 1 day every 2 weeks I do have carbs. I also monitor my ketone level with ketone sticks. So i was looking for a way to enter ketosis faster after that one day of breaking it. If that makes sense

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used keto salts and they definitely aided me when I was cutting. I didn't stay straight keto, but ran timed keto. Dropped 20#. I used evomuse keto induce.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I agree i do it with diet alone but 1 day every 2 weeks I do have carbs. I also monitor my ketone level with ketone sticks. So i was looking for a way to enter ketosis faster after that one day of breaking it. If that makes sense
Don't waste your money. In order to get back into ketosis you need to deplete muscle glycogen and liver glycogen for your live to start producing ketones. After your carb meal, just resume your keto eating and you will be back in in 23-26 hours. At the end of the day, if fat loss is your goal, just keep your calories in a deficit for one, and eat proper keto the rest of the time. Or skip your carb days :) Don't look for a magic potion and trust me when I say exo ketones aren't the answer.

Now, for a mental boost, as well as a energy / physical boost, they are great. I truly believe the brain prefers ketones to glucose as its primary source of energy. Obviously, the brain still needs glucose to function and is supplied it via Gluconeogenesis, but I feel way better running on ketones than I do on glucose.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I used keto salts and they definitely aided me when I was cutting. I didn't stay straight keto, but ran timed keto. Dropped 20#. I used evomuse keto induce.
KetoInduce is definitely the way to go over the very popular and ridiculously priced ketone products out there if you are looking for something. KetoInduce also helps with fat loss, compared to straight exo-ketones (looking at like Pruvit) which is more for energy and athletic performance.

Chudmuffin

Awards
Every Saturday I would have roughly 150-200 grams of carbs. By Monday I was always back in ketosis. I personally think that it is good to have a high carbs day while on keto

Jbrooks

Awards
  • Established
Excellent thank you everyone for feedback and ideas

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Every Saturday I would have roughly 150-200 grams of carbs. By Monday I was always back in ketosis. I personally think that it is good to have a high carbs day while on keto
Just make sure you are doing a full body workout prior to your carb up. If you dont completely deplete muscle glycogen, you will actually do your muscles more harm than good.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I would like to ask: Tell me how exogenous ketones help with fat loss?

They are for an immediately used energy source, and/or for getting over/through (if you are susceptible) "Keto Flu" - they will do zero for fat loss. BTW, even DDD will tell you there is no "metabolic advantage" to keto - it's just that ketones curb hunger better - so diet compliance is better = better odds for greater loss. If you energy equate, *and you can stick to it* - any diet will lead to about the same fat loss. Keto is great from a Life Extension standpoint though - lots of cancers love glucose.

And unless you are measuring Beta-hydroxy Butyrate with a Blood Meter - you may *think* you are "doing keto" - but you may be surprised, LOL.

worm

worm

Awards
  • Established
Save your money. Exogenous ketones should be used only for performance and not for fat loss. Actually, using them can negate fat loss as your body will use them up first instead of breaking down your own fat into ketones.

Not to mention, they are the most costly supp out there that I can think of. Just eat keto and you'll be solid.
I was going to say the same thing. It's like adding carbs to a low carb diet so that you can burn those carbs instead of fat.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
This is after a 16/8 IF, before fasted cardio. Previous days macros (which are the same every day) are ~225P - 200C - 80F. No exogenous anything, and not even trying to get into ketosis - just IF for other benefits. That's blood Beta-hydroxy Butyrate at 0.4mmol/l - pretty damn spiffy if you ask me - without even trying. *Any* exogenous ketone product is for immediate energy only - they do nothing for fat loss in any way.

Attachments

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So true and they are bad for fat loss

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not bad for fatloss just not beneficial.
They do not promote fat loss and can actually decrease fat oxidation if consumed in high enough amounts.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They do not promote fat loss and can actually decrease fat oxidation if consumed in high enough amounts.
Agree with the first but not the ladder. I've seen zero evidence that they decrease fat oxidation at any dose

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Agree with the first but not the ladder. I've seen zero evidence that they decrease fat oxidation at any dose
They're pretty new, comparably - do you have links to research where this was tested and showed it didn't? We know that alcohol gets preferentially burned when consumed, and it basically halts lipolysis until it clears. Going by logic (maybe a mistake?) I would ass-u-me that if the body didn't have to supply ketones for energy by the breakdown of fatty acids - because they were already available due to exogenous use - that lipolysis would delay just like with alcohol?

But again - to your point - it may not matter: Keto doesn't drop more fat than any other energy equated, caloric deficit diet. From a recent Suppversity article on a Low CHO Egg study:

It's also worthy to note that, in line with previous studies, the effects of the egg diet cannot be ascribed to "any particular metabolic advantage [of low carb dieting] for body fat loss" (Hall 2017), but may be attributed to the ability of 'low carbing' to "decrease hunger, reduce appetite and promote satiety" (Hall 2017; Noakes 2017) ((i.e. Diet Compliance - T_O_G))

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They're pretty new, comparably - do you have links to research where this was tested and showed it didn't? We know that alcohol gets preferentially burned when consumed, and it basically halts lipolysis until it clears. Going by logic (maybe a mistake?) I would ass-u-me that if the body didn't have to supply ketones for energy by the breakdown of fatty acids - because they were already available due to exogenous use - that lipolysis would delay just like with alcohol?

But again - to your point - it may not matter: Keto doesn't drop more fat than any other energy equated, caloric deficit diet. From a recent Suppversity article on a Low CHO Egg study:
This could very well be the case.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
One of the things that always confused me was my body relectuance to get into ketosis.

If I use KetoStix, it takes 6 days of zero carbs (not even leafy vegetables) to get into ketosis. Sticks do not change until the end of that sixth day, then it turns purple.

1. Is there any better way to measure ketosis?

For example, Tanita bodyfat or anything electronic bodyfat may seem like no results are coming, because the tools are inaccurate.

Body fat calipers, on the other hand, show something different.

Is there a better tool for measuring if I am truly in ketosis? I heard ketostix are not so valid.

2. Can anyone explain my lackluster results with ketosis?

Many people swear by it, and say how fast the weight (both water and fat) come off, even with no exercise.

Some anecdotes of friends say they lost so much weight, so fast. They were always hungry. They even snuck in a baked potato with their low-carb dinner each day, and still lost weight.

Why so lackluster with me?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Everyone's different, that's the why; but if you want to know specifics on how you are different, there's the rub... might be a simple answer, or might be as complicated as the human body itself.

Personally, I dabbled a bit with ketosis 20 years ago. I saw results, but was miserable. More than the lethargy and irritability, I remember the headaches, the horrible headaches.

Give me slow and steady progress (over the course of years) over fast results with eye-stabbing headaches any day.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of the things that always confused me was my body relectuance to get into ketosis.

If I use KetoStix, it takes 6 days of zero carbs (not even leafy vegetables) to get into ketosis. Sticks do not change until the end of that sixth day, then it turns purple.

1. Is there any better way to measure ketosis?

For example, Tanita bodyfat or anything electronic bodyfat may seem like no results are coming, because the tools are inaccurate.

Body fat calipers, on the other hand, show something different.

Is there a better tool for measuring if I am truly in ketosis? I heard ketostix are not so valid.

2. Can anyone explain my lackluster results with ketosis?

Many people swear by it, and say how fast the weight (both water and fat) come off, even with no exercise.

Some anecdotes of friends say they lost so much weight, so fast. They were always hungry. They even snuck in a baked potato with their low-carb dinner each day, and still lost weight.

Why so lackluster with me?
Ketostix are useless. Use a blood ketone monitor

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
For a blood ketone monitor, I am afraid of pricking my finger. I just get squeamish.

Is there any other authorized way to do it, such as pricking a vein in my arm, where I get injections?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For a blood ketone monitor, I am afraid of pricking my finger. I just get squeamish.

Is there any other authorized way to do it, such as pricking a vein in my arm, where I get injections?
I think any blood would work. they just have nice finger punch systems that result in very little discomfort

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Don't stress it...it doesn't hurt, I've been doing it for over 20 years it's not a big deal at all. There is no other accurate way to test for ketones. So if you insist on testing then get a blood ketone monitor.