Supplement to heal tendons?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am currently suffering from painful hip flexors due to frequent heavy squats and deadlifts. I feel a dull ache even walking. Squats are out. Is there a supplement that can accelerate healing in tendons?

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Nerve restore by evomuse. I've never used but touted well

EpicSlaughter

EpicSlaughter

Awards
If my monkey had that problem... I'd give him some Ligandrol

CoyoteS550

Awards
I am currently suffering from painful hip flexors due to frequent heavy squats and deadlifts. I feel a dull ache even walking. Squats are out. Is there a supplement that can accelerate healing in tendons?
Cortisone injections have helped me with inflamed tendons, if you are truly in a lot of pain. Are you stretching properly before hitting squats? I also have painful hip flexors but stretching and rolling has helped tremendously with my squats.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Cortisone injections have helped me with inflamed tendons, if you are truly in a lot of pain. Are you stretching properly before hitting squats? I also have painful hip flexors but stretching and rolling has helped tremendously with my squats.
I honestly don't know much on this subject but I would think absolutely abliterated would keep cortisone from converting to cortisol seemingly blocking cortisol. dsade

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had some pretty severe Achilles Tendonosis and have had good results with Flexatril.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use a pes product for ligaments along side a joint product from shaklee and turmeric for inflammation.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If you absolutely, positively *know* it's a tendon - BPC-157 - add Curcumin if you want. If you don't know *for sure* - Curcumin (not that BPC is harmful, it's just a Gastric Peptide - but you'd just be wasting money if it wasn't tendon/ligament related). And like ^^^ Rest.

Remember: Joints aren't Tendons - Cartilage, Synovial Fluid, etc... One has them, the other doesn't.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I always like supplementing in joint support xt or achilles. You could try either of these and see if it helps.

KevinConn

KevinConn

Awards
Go see a physiotherapist to actually identify the source of the problem. You're far better off to identify what's causing the problem whether it be a form issue or some sort of imbalance in the hips than trying to mask the pain with supplements.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thanks for all the responses! I recently switched from a bodybuilding bro split hitting each muscle once per week to Candito's 6 week program. My bench has increased rapidly but I think squatting and deadlifting on the same day, with heavy weight, multiple times per week... just was too much for my poor little hip flexors. I have been using Sumo lately but before the program switch I always did conventional. I worked up to a 585 conventional pull and wanted to go past 600 sumo but I'm laying off all lower body work for at least two weeks.

This really sucks... I wanted to keep going on the program because I had great progress prior to the pain but I know when its time to rest. I purchased Doctor's Best Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM along with PEScience Genoflex. PEScience made snickerdoodle protein so I know for a fact the Genoflex will be amazing. Anybody who created that protein can't be wrong.. about anything... ever... it's too good. I think that should cover my bases. I'm working with a chiropractor and will include more stretching and massage.

I'm still gonna hit 460 on the bench!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If your hip flexors are hurting a lot during/ after squats, you most likely are not engaging the right muscles/ have weaknesses in others that cause the hip flexors to work more than they are designed to. Usually weaker glutes (do a proper glute test and don't just assume you have strong glutes) will cause a lot of other muscles around the hip to overcompensate for something the glutes should be doing.

For the meantime, it might be worth picking up something like Curcumin (with bulk piperine) and Cissus XT to quash the inflammaiton and help with tendon repair. But bear in mind supplements can help mask the issue, but not fix the way you squat.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If your hip flexors are hurting a lot during/ after squats, you most likely are not engaging the right muscles/ have weaknesses in others that cause the hip flexors to work more than they are designed to. Usually weaker glutes (do a proper glute test and don't just assume you have strong glutes) will cause a lot of other muscles around the hip to overcompensate for something the glutes should be doing.

For the meantime, it might be worth picking up something like Curcumin (with bulk piperine) and Cissus XT to quash the inflammaiton and help with tendon repair. But bear in mind supplements can help mask the issue, but not fix the way you squat.
You sir, are correct. I just read several articles and it seems my glutes are weak! I'm not sure how this happened!? Do you have any suggestions for glute specific exercises? I was able to reach a 500 pound raw squat and 585 deadlift before noticing any pain in the hip flexors. I've always squatted deep and figured that would target glutes. Should I perform sumo or conventional deads?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You sir, are correct. I just read several articles and it seems my glutes are weak! I'm not sure how this happened!? Do you have any suggestions for glute specific exercises? I was able to reach a 500 pound raw squat and 585 deadlift before noticing any pain in the hip flexors. I've always squatted deep and figured that would target glutes. Should I perform sumo or conventional deads?
The glutes work through various planes, and so constructing a plan around that would work. Compensation games take a while before you start to notice issues, and it is possible to still be strong yet not utilizing your muscles effectively.

Stick to the Deads you typically do, but rotate in some other glute work as well.

Glute activation drills with progressions work well before you get going (things like banded glute bridges, hip marches, side lying abduction and adduction etc). These are for activation, and so you only need to do 10-15 reps of each per exercise for them to have an effect. Perform the reps correctly, slowly and through stabilizing the core. These exercises are difficult when done correctly as you should have no compensation movement (people tend to have weak cores and so they rotate through the spine during the movements, or compensate in other ways).

In your program, add in weighted adduction, abduction, horizontal and vertical glute exercises. Don't go OTT, just one per movement.

i.e. Banded Clams, cable adductions (or you could use a hip circle every once in a while), glute marches (progress to single leg only once you can adequately perform two legged ones), GHR, hip thrusts etc. just to name a few. The glutes work through various movements like Hip Extension, Hip External Rotation etc and so you need to work it in all those patterns.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you absolutely, positively *know* it's a tendon - BPC-157 - add Curcumin if you want. If you don't know *for sure* - Curcumin (not that BPC is harmful, it's just a Gastric Peptide - but you'd just be wasting money if it wasn't tendon/ligament related). And like ^^^ Rest.

Remember: Joints aren't Tendons - Cartilage, Synovial Fluid, etc... One has them, the other doesn't.
Question about this: what about a complete rupture/tear of the Achilles? My brother recently did this (high volume pogo box jumps...friggin CrossFit) had surgery, and is in a cast. Recovery is said to be a full year. He's looking to cut as much recovery time as he can.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I recently started Joint Support XT and I am feeling a hell of a lot less pain in both hips and knees. It isn't 100%, but much more manageable.

migsacura

migsacura

Awards
Look in to the Herb Boswellia Serrata been experimenting and have had great results and pain relief, I also like taking Cissus

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
I had some pretty severe Achilles Tendonosis and have had good results with Flexatril.
I agree on the Flexatril..I didnt do the loading phase so it took a bit longer to work but by the 3rd bottle I got a lot of relief with injuries that Ive had for decades.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
SNS JOINT SUPPORT XT and SNS CISSUS XT is a great combo to help, OP.

onder18

onder18

Awards
Blue emu oil and dmso. Blue emu oil twice a day at first then once a day. Also before working out. Rub them into the areas thoroughly. If you can't find dmso substitute biofreeze instead. Add these into your regular regimen of supps. Look into ways to stretch the area. I've used this regimen before with success for my back. It isn't a miracle but it is cheap and provides some relief in my opinion. Might be worth looking into.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Many times scar tissue and adhesions are the cause . As far as I know once tendon is torn it can not repair itself; however scar tissue can if its smoothed out with deep tissue massage, active release therapy

As far as supplements Universal Animal Flex is good stuff. Millennium Sport has Joint Mechanic-Plus (W/Meriva) which is top notch.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think Helios might help. I'm a fan of curcumin, it's a great anti-inflammatory. Helios has a good dose plus other stuff. Reduces pain too.