Thickeners / Fibre for Protein Sludge with Whey

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Hi All

I have been using Xanthan Gum recently as a thickener which works well with my low calorie diet to thicken whey and make protein sludge but it does have an odd texture, also i attempted trying a teaspoon raw, never again will i attempt that lol.

I do not want to go back to Psyllium Husks because i find the powder to have a bitter taste which kills the protein shakes.

Any recommendations for better thickeners / fiber than xanthan and psyllium

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Depending on how low carb you want, coconut flour is safe raw, absorbs a lot of liquid and thickens, high fibre

Xanthan alone gets very "gummy" and sticky. Commercially you will see a blend of xanthan and guar gums, which does come out better for me in baking and to thicken a pudding/icing

Besides that just less liquid

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Gelatin powder. Might be good for tendon and joint health too.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Gelatin powder. Might be good for tendon and joint health too.
Half a Knox gelatin package into a thick shake makes pudding, adds protein, this is a great one

Or go with Jello instant Pudding packs to also add flavour

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The odd texture of Xanthan gum is reduced quite a bit if you blend it. I always make sludge in a food processor or blender with 4-5g of xanthan gum - comes out fantastic.

Also try plain greek yogurt and some sweetener, that works well too

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use chia seeds, 1 to 2 tablespoons per 1 scoop protein powder, shake and let sit for a bit, shake again and viola nice and thick.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Add some Micellar Casein,Protein Powder. Nothing else compares.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Depends on what you are trying to achieve as far as ingredients. There are several good culinary choices above as well as liquid fibers and other fiber choices. Really just need to test them out and find what works best.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try inulin fiber, Swansons has tubs of it fairly cheap. My wife likes to use it every now and again.

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
How many grams of gelatine would you add if 240 bloom to around 60 grams of whey protein.
Not sure what 240 bloom is. But I use about 10g of the Now, Gelatin powder to a bowl of 80g oatmeal, 230g Greek yogurt, and 40g whey powder. Thickens it up perfect for me after sitting in the refrigerator for a couple minutes.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some great ideas in here! Thanks all!

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Evomuse Glycomyx if you dont mind extra carbs. Great product. I have been making sludge with it for years.