Preserve fitness and muscle when injurwd

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I managed to break my collarbone. Several small fragments broke off too, all now connected with a wire. Doc says 6 weeks in a sling and not moving it
I'm looking for suggestions (doesn't have to be strictly supplements, can be diet and exercise too) :
1. Heal injury faster.
2. Preserve muscles.
3. Prevent fat gain from doing nothing.
4. Keep aerobic fitness.

If you suggest a product then please include what ingredients in it are most effective. Individual ingredients welcome too.

My plans:
I'm thinking of up to 50g bcaa a day.
Up calcium, vitamin K and D.
Thoughts?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about your injury. If you keep protein intake high (1-1.2g per pound) and you eat at maintenance you shouldn't notice too significant of a decrease in muscle size. It takes years to grow muscles, so a few months out of the gym won't destroy all of your progress. Adding in a high amount of BCAA's won't have more impact than simply eating enough protein. I would focus on protein intake rather than BCAA intake - it'll save you money in the long run. Adding in calcium, K, and D couldn't hurt, but there isn't much you can do to speed the process of healing a broken bone.

Even though you aren't training, you might want to consider using a nutrient partitioning supplement or GDA. A supplement like this can help with digestion and it can help mitigate fat storage. I think adding in a product like Slinmax could be beneficial during your time out of the gym. Also doing low intensity cardio, aka walking, will help with all of the items mentioned above. Just simply staying active, increasing blood circulation, and moving around will be very helpful.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed completely with john.patterson. As long as you stay to your diet and eat clean you shouldn't lose a ton of muscle.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
All the above is perfect. Maybe some tart cherry to reduce inflammation.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cissus maybe.

If it doesn't strain your neck, try doing some farmers walks and any lower body exercise. You could probably still let press lightly or do some machines.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Your TDEE is going to drop (possibly) due to upper body immobilization. First thing I would do is re-estimate TDEE using Miflin-St. Jeore and a lower activity level based on an honest estimate of what you think you can do. Then just eat that kcal level and monitor the scale. 3g of HMB-CA may help. Ostarine would, but it's a drug.

You can still do cardio - don't see how a collarbone would effect it. You can still do all lower body ex that don't put any pressure on the injury - ever try 100 body-weight squats as fast as you can do them :D

Oral BPC-157 (a gastric peptide) may help heal faster - 500mcg/day (just buy two vials and use for 21 days).

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a shoulder surgery that kept me out for a few months. While in the sling I did a ton of lower body stuff, lots of cardio on the bike. It's also pretty awesome when you get back to it as I had some good "newbie" gains on the upper body stuff since I was out for awhile

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys. Still only 2 days from operation and all movement is difficult.
Will see in a couple of days how squats feel. Low speed, bw squats should work well

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your TDEE is going to drop (possibly) due to upper body immobilization. First thing I would do is re-estimate TDEE using Miflin-St. Jeore and a lower activity level based on an honest estimate of what you think you can do. Then just eat that kcal level and monitor the scale. 3g of HMB-CA may help. Ostarine would, but it's a drug.

You can still do cardio - don't see how a collarbone would effect it. You can still do all lower body ex that don't put any pressure on the injury - ever try 100 body-weight squats as fast as you can do them :D

Oral BPC-157 (a gastric peptide) may help heal faster - 500mcg/day (just buy two vials and use for 21 days).
I should have a small vial of bpc. Will look fort when I feel better.
You think oral wouldbe better? Or maybe inject near collarbone when swelling comes down?

Last edited:
Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should have a small view of bpc. Will look fort when I feel better.
You think oral wouldbe better? Or maybe inject near collarbone when swelling comes down?
With two vials you could probably do both. Injecting subq at the top of the pec just below the collarbone would be fine. I would take orally until swelling alleviates enough to go the subq route.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Can someone lead me in the right direction with oral bpc? Cuz I'm reading that it degrades when taken orally. Is there an oral preparation?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Can someone lead me in the right direction with oral bpc? Cuz I'm reading that it degrades when taken orally. Is there an oral preparation?
So you read the Rat study on Suppversity? It's a *Gastric* Peptide - that's why you'll never see a Pharma company do anything with it.

deanX

Awards
It is definitely a perfect time to focus on lower buddy cardio work out. Heal faster

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
I can't run yet let alone squat or leg press (I think the pressure would be too much on my back leg pressing) so I'm going to incorporate a lot of machines bikes haha

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Thought ur response was in my thread lol sorry^

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I concur: cissus, protein intake, and bpc-157. I recently separated my shoulder, and did 2 bottles of it orally. I can't say it did help, because there's no control on that 'test', but whatever, I doubt it hurt anything. Cissus has helped a lot as well.

I'd also add creatine to the list. Creatine has been shown to prevent muscle loss in bedridden injured athletes. Do it.

Also, as someone who's separated both shoulders, herniated a disc, popped ribs and knees, etc, DO NOT stay inactive. The most helpful thing in all of the above circumstances was cardio. Every run or stint on a stairmill brought pain relief and healing. Strap that arm down, if you must, to prevent movement, and go do 15-30 minutes 4-5 days a week. The stairmill is best initially, its far easier to keep the shoulder immobilized.