ARA Question

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
Quote: "Although most omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are generally referred to as “essential” fatty acids, only linoleic acid (LA) of the omega-6 family and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) of the omega-3 family are truly “essential”. Once we have either LA or ALA, our body has enzymes that can convert these fatty acids into all the other different types of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.

It turns out that both the omega-3 and omega-6 pathway utilize the same enzymes, and both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids have to compete for these enzymes in order to produce their final product. Studies have reported that the enzymes used in these pathways were found to prefer the omega-3 pathway. It turns out then that in diets high in omega-3 fatty acids, most of the enzymes will be “busy” converting the omega-3 acids.

The omega-6 fatty acids, Dihommogamma-Linoleic Acid (DGLA) in particular, can be converted to either the anti-inflammatory PG1 or into arachidonic acid (AA), a precursor of PG2. Conversion of DGLA into PG1 does not require any enzymes, but conversion of DGLA into AA requires the enzyme delta-5 desaturase. In diets high in omega-3, most of the delta-5 desaturase will be used in the omega-3 pathway; few delta-5 desaturase will be available to convert DGLA into arachidonic acid, and subsequently, PG2. DGLA ends up being converted into the anti-inflammatory PG1 and inflammation is therefore decreased.

In a diet low in omega-3 fatty acids, large quantities of delta-5 desaturase enzymes are available to convert DGLA into AA. The available AA is then converted into the inflammatory PG2. Thus, the more omega-3 fatty acids present in our body, the fewer enzymes are available for converting omega-6 fatty acids into the inflammatory prostaglandins. A balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids is therefore essential for proper health. However, the typical Western diet has evolved to be high in omega-6 and low in omega-3 fatty acids. While omega-6 fatty acids are not necessarily bad, a skewed ratio in favor of too much omega-6 can be detrimental to one’s health".

Taken from web.stanford.edu/group/hopes/cgi-bin/hopes_test/omega-3-fatty-acids/

My question is, could someone try remove omega-3 from their diet so the delta-5 can convert DGLA in ARA and supplement this with LA or GLA (+aspirin to block PG2) in order to have the effects of ARA? Not sure if this is a dumb question or not? I just came across this when looking at ARA the other day. Thanks!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not exactly sure on that one, but in to see what others think about this.

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
I say this because I have been taking around 2 tablespoons pre and post workout of soy lecithin ( for PA) which has 3.4g of LA per tablespoon. I'm going to drop my omega-3 supp and foods in my diet and add in baby aspirin and some ALCAR. And see if I can feel any difference as I been on this current stack of supps for a while now.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When does the soy leth kick in, Ive been taking multiple scoops all day long for ten days now.

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
When does the soy leth kick in, Ive been taking multiple scoops all day long for ten days now.
After a week I noticed a better and longer pump working out, and have had a steady increase in strength and weight.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Theoretically possible to raise ARA levels this way but we'd need a study to confirm

The issue is now that ARA is not the only inflammatory FA skating through easier here, many more would and I wouldn't want to try this personally.

Plus think of your joints on this type of diet, yikes

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It would raise AA levels, which is why AA gets a bad rap for the most part. What you'd be subjecting yourself to at that point is an increased in systemic AA levels, not localised.