Supplements for high frequency training

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Hey y'all, as the title suggests I'm curious what y'all recommend for supplements using a high weight training frequency ( each muscle group worked 5 days a week or so). For example, using back training for instance:

Mon - back workout A
Tues - back workout B
Wed - rest
Thur - back workout A
Fri - back workout B

I currently take leucine and creatine monohydrate before and after each session but I'm wondering if I could add in something to aid recovery/protein synthesis. Thanks y'all!!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Before we talk supps, lets first focus on the biggest factor being your diet.
Are you giving your body enough food, calories, and what is your macro breakdown?
What does your pre/post workout meal look like? Are you consuming anything intra-workout (BCAA, HBCD's, Intra-workout carbs)?

These are all vital pieces to the puzzle.

Personally these supplements have made the biggest drastic on performance and endurance for myself:
Scivation Xtend Perform (Added Peak02 for performance) take pre/intra workout
PES Ergonine (Ergogenic) Can take pre/intra/post
Iforce Finish Line (BCAA + Ergogenic) can take pre/intra/post

The biggest things you want to look for are in your situation:
LCLT ~ 2g
HICA ~ 1.5g
SynerGlut ~ 2.5g
Betaine ~ 2.5g
Peak02 ~ 2-4g
Beta Alanine ~ 3.2-4g
Citrulline Malate ~ 6-8g

For liquid carbs to help sustain training and boost performance Glycofuse by Gaspari is a fantastic product

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Are you giving your body enough food, calories, and what is your macro breakdown?
What does your pre/post workout meal look like? Are you consuming anything intra-workout (BCAA, HBCD's, Intra-workout carbs)?

Personally these supplements have made the biggest drastic on performance and endurance for myself:
Iforce Finish Line (BCAA + Ergogenic)

For liquid carbs to help sustain training and boost performance Glycofuse by Gaspari is a fantastic product
Thanks for the insight. My breakdown is 40:30:30 Pro:fat:carb. It's always seemed to give me my best results. Would it be logical to assume that post workout glutamine would be a decent idea? Or a broader amino acid supplement?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the insight. My breakdown is 40:30:30 Pro:fat:carb. It's always seemed to give me my best results. Would it be logical to assume that post workout glutamine would be a decent idea? Or a broader amino acid supplement?
Glutamine not worth it at all. It will have no impact on your performance/endurance because you are most likely getting enough if you are EATING enough for your training and recovery. Monitoring what you intake around the peri-workout period is very important to supply the body with what it wants.

If you are eating enough protein, the need for additional aminos is not needed since protein levels are met and are adequate. Therefore the addition of a BCAA supp won't merit you much. The reason for the Xtend Perform would be due to the added Peak02 in there if you did want to pick one up (BCAA Prodcut). If not then you can grab bulk Peak02 from Primaforce which is a great asset for your training and recovery.

The key here is making sure:
pre/post workout meal have adeuqate carbs
if you feel you need more energy adding in additional carbs via powder (Glycofuse) intra-workout could be a big help

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established

Iforce Finish Line (BCAA + Ergogenic) can take pre/intra/post

The biggest things you want to look for are in your situation:
LCLT ~ 2g
HICA ~ 1.5g
SynerGlut ~ 2.5g
Betaine ~ 2.5g
Peak02 ~ 2-4g
Beta Alanine ~ 3.2-4g
Citrulline Malate ~ 6-8g

Could you please tell me what LCLT, HICA, and Synerglut are? Amateur question I'm sure

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Could you please tell me what LCLT, HICA, and Synerglut are? Amateur question I'm sure
L-carnitine L-tartrate helps with performance and endurance. (Found in Ergonine and Finish Line)

These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12930169

Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid aka HICA Aids performance and endurance/recovery (Found in Ergonine)

Synerglut is a performance enhancer. Glutamine on its own is not a great standalone product, but when binded with L-alanine it helps its effects. (Found in Ergonine)

compan

compan

Awards
Finish Line w/ some added Peak02. That is what I tend to use a lot. Finish Line covers all of the basics in full doses and I've been liking Peak02 lately.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
How are you structuring your workout?

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
How are you structuring your workout?
Currently I really enjoy the push/pull/legs schedule with bench press on 4 or 5 days a week. It's a lagging lift for me and so far I'm seeing decent results. I'm just concerned about hindered results from lack of recovery eventually. My question about supplement recommendations is to help ensure as optimal of a performance as possible.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you find your frequency exceeds your recovery, and lifts are getting weaker, youve likely overreached on those lifts. Dont freak, this can be good. Deload, recover, then profit.

Something to consider if you hadnt already.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Listen to these guys for sure. Get your diet in check #1. You will be amazed what a well balanced diet that fits your goals can do for your body and workouts. That is also when supplements are given the opportunity to shine. A quality pre workout that isn't going to just stim you out would serve your body well. Focus XT is a good one, full of nootropics and 200mg of caffeine, I like to add about 100mg of teacrine and some Alpha GPC. The new Quake pre workout also sounds like it would be of benefit to you. Look into Epiplex by CEL as well for increased strength and endurance, Very affordable epicatechin for 600mg a day!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Currently I really enjoy the push/pull/legs schedule with bench press on 4 or 5 days a week. It's a lagging lift for me and so far I'm seeing decent results. I'm just concerned about hindered results from lack of recovery eventually. My question about supplement recommendations is to help ensure as optimal of a performance as possible.
How are you varying your workouts? I.e. manipulating volume/ intensity/ exercise selection for benching that many times per week? Without any info, this seems incredibly overkill and even though you are progressing now, I'd say in 3-4 weeks time you will slow down considerably due to injury and/ or fatigue.

Getting a lagging lift up to speed is not about performing it every chance you get. It's about making your sessions smarter. Something that many people can't actually do. I usually recommend no more than 3x per week on the big 3-4 lifts, so that you can better manage fatigue. And over those 3 days I'd suggest varying how you structure that lift: higher volume, higher intensity and technique focus works well.

I.e.

Bench day one: 5 x 5
Bench day two: 3 x 3
bench day three: 6 x 3 @ 50-70% with 60s rest

or whatever. Obviously a crude example, but you can see that the pattern is undulating. If you are adamant in sticking to a 5 day bench routine, I'd suggest adding in movement variation - i.e. a wider grip and narrower drip day to strengthen the shoulder girdle and triceps respectively.

The most important thing here is that each week you are progressing in some way shape or form. With the above example my second week would look like -

Bench day one: 6 x 5
Bench day two: 3 x 2
bench day three: 8 x 3

or something like that. Focus on keeping each component on its purpose - keeping volume days to volume days, keeping intensity days to intensity, and power/ technique days to that.

Once you nail that, adding complexity through bands, blocks, pauses etc would also make for progressive methods.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
How are you varying your workouts? I.e. manipulating volume/ intensity/ exercise selection for benching that many times per week? Without any info, this seems incredibly overkill and even though you are progressing now, I'd say in 3-4 weeks time you will slow down considerably due to injury and/ or fatigue.

Getting a lagging lift up to speed is not about performing it every chance you get. It's about making your sessions smarter. Something that many people can't actually do. I usually recommend no more than 3x per week on the big 3-4 lifts, so that you can better manage fatigue. And over those 3 days I'd suggest varying how you structure that lift: higher volume, higher intensity and technique focus works well.

I.e.

Bench day one: 5 x 5
Bench day two: 3 x 3
bench day three: 6 x 3 @ 50-70% with 60s rest

or whatever. Obviously a crude example, but you can see that the pattern is undulating. If you are adamant in sticking to a 5 day bench routine, I'd suggest adding in movement variation - i.e. a wider grip and narrower drip day to strengthen the shoulder girdle and triceps respectively.

The most important thing here is that each week you are progressing in some way shape or form. With the above example my second week would look like -

Bench day one: 6 x 5
Bench day two: 3 x 2
bench day three: 8 x 3

or something like that. Focus on keeping each component on its purpose - keeping volume days to volume days, keeping intensity days to intensity, and power/ technique days to that.

Once you nail that, adding complexity through bands, blocks, pauses etc would also make for progressive methods.
Thanks for the insight! I may plateau very soon but in the meantime I've had pretty great strength and physique improvements (probably the best in my 10+ years of lifting) so I'll hold steady at the helm for now. I just wanted to cover my bases on the suppz! The caffeine free focus xt has been pretty great though for work and lifting. Deff a great product!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Nothing wrong with experimentation! Just make sure you are eating plenty and sleeping well more than anything. Fatigue management will become harder over time doing that kind of workload.

Glad to hear it! I love it as well personally. It is definitely a staple in my rotation

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good information in here so far. With high frequency training, you want to make sure you don't go all out one day. I like the ideas in here of proper nutrition and rest as well. Those two things will go a long way. I would also supplement with an ergogenic aid. PowerMax XT, Ergonine or Triumph would fit the bill. All of those products have products that work together to help hydrate, increase recovery and increase performance. Both PowerMax XT and ergonine are pretty cost effective and should be staples for anyone/

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
The most obvious one was missed: HMB

For me, there is nothing else that allows me to hit bodyparts twice a week with programmed intensity.

E

erina10

Awards
Hey y'all, as the title suggests I'm curious what y'all recommend for
using a high weight training frequency ( each muscle group worked 5 days a week or so). For example, using back training for instance:

Mon - back workout A
Tues - back workout B
Wed - rest
Thur - back workout A
Fri - back workout B

I currently take leucine and creatine monohydrate before and after each session but I'm wondering if I could add in something to aid recovery/protein synthesis. Thanks y'all!!
Hi
May i know which supplement is best for body growth??

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
Hi
May i know which supplement is best for body growth??
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion but for me it's the leucine. The research on leucine intake and the direct correlation to increased protein synthesis is pretty conclusive.

Disclaimer: this statement is assuming we're not including Anabolics/prohormones

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
L-carnitine L-tartrate helps with performance and endurance. (Found in Ergonine and Finish Line)

These data support the use of LCLT as a recovery supplement for hypoxic exercise and lend further insights into the hormonal mechanisms that may help to mediate quicker recovery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12930169

Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid aka HICA Aids performance and endurance/recovery (Found in Ergonine)

Synerglut is a performance enhancer. Glutamine on its own is not a great standalone product, but when binded with L-alanine it helps its effects. (Found in Ergonine)
Finish Line has your Synerglut...listed as Sustamine but same concept..Glutamine with L-Alanine

T

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Im no scientist, I just know it works great.

Stims arent always needed - its not a mental rush but a source of endless energy - you just dont tire out. I did hour and half of back and biceps then went for a run afterwards and could have stayed longer if i hadnt had to leave the gym that day to drop others home.

Endurance is great on this, with an intra creatine like green mag for example

T

Toff

Awards
  • Established
L-CITRULLINE MALATE

STUDY 1

In a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study with crossover, 41 resistance trained men performed 8 sets of flat barbell bench presses (4 sets at the beginning of a workout and 4 at the end) to fatigue, using 80% of their 1 repetition maximum. L-Citrulline Malate administered at an amount of 8 grams prior to exercise was shown to increase the number of repetitions (average increase of 19%) performed to failure over the 8 sets. (1)

STUDY 2

Another study, also using a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study with crossover, utilized 12 resistance-trained men. Subjects were administered 8 grams of L-Citrulline Malate prior to exercise. Subjects performed 5 sets of repetitions to failure at 60% of their 1 repetition maximum for leg press, hack squat, and leg extension exercises. Compared to placebo, L-Citrulline Malate supplementation increased the number of repetitions to failure for all exercises. On average, a 9% increase in performance was found. (2)

STUDY 3

In a study performed by the same group as the second study above, a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study with crossover was again used as the design. Subjects consisted of 14 resistance-trained men, who were administered 8 grams of L-Citrulline Malate prior to exercise. Subjects performed 3 sets of chin-ups, reverse chin-ups and pushups to failure. For the L-Citrulline Malate group, a significant increase in the number of repetitions performed to failure was noted for all three exercises. (3)

L-CITRULLINE

STUDY 4

A randomized controlled trial that administered 6 grams of L-Citrulline daily to normal healthy men over a period of 6 days, with a single serving of 3 grams on the 7th day, found a statistically significant improvement in levels of markers of systemic NO production and bioactivity when compared to placebo. (4)

STUDY 5

A single-serving study in young, healthy males, found that as little as 2 grams of L-Citrulline was sufficient to significantly elevate plasma levels of 1-arginine (5). L-arginine serves as a substrate in the nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-catalyzed biosynthesis of nitric oxide (NO).

NITRATE

STUDY 6 - A PUBLISHED REVIEW STUDY

This review focused primarily on the impact of dietary nitrate to aid physical performance and covered 31 studies, inclusive of over 300 participants. Quantitative analysis suggests that performance enhancing benefits are noted predominately with amounts ranging from 5 to 9 mmol of NO3 (nitrate). (6)

Who is USP Labs Max Reps NO3 suitable for?

USP Labs Max Reps NO3 is suitable for anyone male or female looking to improve strength, power, endurance and nitric oxide production to support athletic performance and enhance the ability to build lean muscle.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Max Reps+ from USP

ENDLESS 2 hour+ energy
Im no scientist, I just know it works great.
\
Neither am I, but your post is misleading.
You are quoting a "NON STIM" Product to giving you 2 hours of energy. That is probably coming from your dietary intake (carbs). Just because your nutrition is on point is not the reason why you have energy from a product that does not contain stimulants.

Citrulline which you quoted on studies does aid in pump, performance, and also decreasing lactic acid for training. Again , nothing to do with Energy or stims. which all of those studies you wrote above and copies says nothing about caffeine, or stimulants.

E

erina10

Awards
Hey y'all, as the title suggests I'm curious what y'all recommend for using a high weight training frequency ( each muscle group worked 5 days a week or so). For example, using back training for instance:

Mon - back workout A
Tues - back workout B
Wed - rest
Thur - back workout A
Fri - back workout B

Hello
I think whey protein is better option for recovery/protein synthesis because Whey protein comes from milk. During cheese-making, it is the liquid that separates from the curds. It’s high in protein, but also contains lactose, a milk sugar that many people have difficulty digesting.
Whey protein concentrate retains some lactose, but whey protein isolate contains very little because most of the lactose is lost during processing.
Whey is a quickly digested protein rich in branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). Leucine, one of these BCAAs, plays a major role in promoting muscle growth and recovery following resistance and endurance exercise.
When amino acids are digested and absorbed into the bloodstream, they are available for muscle protein synthesis (MPS), or the creation of new muscle.
Whey protein is quickly digested, providing a rapid rise in amino acids that may help increase muscle mass and strength. It may also reduce appetite and promote fat loss.