HI-TECH PUSHES BACK ON DMAA...MOTION TO VACATE

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Hi-Tech) wants to give an update to the industry on how the battle for the ability to keep DMAA legal and available to our consumers is progressing.
The Court’s holding was erroneous should be vacated for two reasons. First, there is no requirement under DSHEA––in the statute, the legislative history, or the case law––that a substance only qualifies as dietary ingredient if it can be extracted in “usable quantities.” In fact, DSHEA clearly states that the “constituents” of a botanical are considered a dietary ingredient and sets no quantitative threshold for what constitutes a constituent of a botanical.

Importantly, the Government agreed with this interpretation of DSHEA. Simply put, the Court’s conclusion otherwise impermissibly interjected its policy opinions in place of statutory interpretation. The Court’s conclusion is thus reversible legal error and must be reconsidered.

Second, the Court entered summary judgment resolving a factual issue–– whether DMAA can be extracted from geraniums in “usable quantities”––based on an incomplete record. The case law is clear: sua sponte entry of summary judgment on a factual issue that was not fully developed, which no party advocated, and which the losing party neither had been properly noticed nor provided an opportunity to present evidence regarding, is inappropriate as well as reversible error. Moreover, this finding ignored certain evidence in the record, which Claimants are entitled to supplement, regarding the ability to extract DMAA from geraniums in “usable quantities.” The Court committed an error by relying on this incomplete factual record to grant summary judgment. The April 3 Order should be vacated on this basis as well and the judgment and order should be vacated.

Furthermore, the Court rejected the Government’s three main critiques of scientific papers failing to detect DMAA, explaining: (1) the papers cited by the Government that did not detect DMAA “may not have been suitable for [detection] of DMAA due to its volatility;” (2) Dr. Paula Brown’s testimony regarding the ability of geraniums to produce DMAA was not “unequivocal” and did not provide anything “close to uncontroverted evidence that geraniums cannot make DMAA;” and (3) the Government’s claims that DMAA detected in geraniums was the result of contamination “fail[ed] to address the fact that other studies did find DMAA.”Id. at 5-6.

As such, the Court was “unswayed by the Government’s argument that it is impossible for the geranium in question to synthesize DMAA,” and concluded that “the question as presented by the parties is whether DMAA has been detected in geraniums, not how the geraniums happened to put the chemical there. . . this Court would be inclined to find that the Government has failed to meet its burden of establishing that DMAA has been found in geraniums.” Id. at 6-7. We believe that because this was the dispositive issue in this case, that should have been the end of the Court’s analysis and summary judgment should have been entered in favor of Hi-Tech.

The Court’s ensuing analysis, however, suffered from a key legal error. Absent any briefing on the point from either Claimants or the Government, the Court concluded that “in using the term botanical, Congress intended that there must be at least some history of the substance in question having been extracted in usable quantities from a plant or a plant-like organism . . . .” Id. at 9 (emphasis added). The Court cited no reference within DSHEA, its legislative history, or the case law to support this novel position. Moreover, this interpretation ignores the fact that Congress clearly could have, but did not, include a requirement that a substance qualifies as “a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination” of a dietary ingredient only if it can be extracted in “usable quantities.” By engrafting this novel “usable quantity” requirement onto 21 U.S.C.§ 321(ff)(1), the Court has impermissibly encroached on the policy making prerogative of Congress. Simply put, there is no requirement that any such extract or constituent be present in anything above “trace” quantities.

Notably, the Government in its briefing did not even advocate the position reached by the Court. See Gov’t Motion for Summary Judgment, Doc. No. 107-1,at 1 (“The issue in this case is whether [DMAA] is a ‘dietary ingredient’ . . . . To decide this issue, this Court needs to resolve [whether] DMAA is naturally produced by geranium plants[.]”). The Government––similar to Claimants––took the position that the presence of DMAA in geraniums, even in trace amounts,

would render it a dietary ingredient under DSHEA. In fact, the Government’s Answer acknowledged that the mere fact that the DMAA used in Claimants’ products is synthetic has no bearing on whether DMAA qualifies as a dietary ingredient so long as it is a constituent of the geranium plant. Answer of United States, Doc. No. 52, ¶ 14; see also Ex. 35,Welch Dep. at 27:7-27:23 (the Government’s regulatory expert, Dr. Cara Welch, testified that synthetic ingredients can be dietary ingredients under DSHEA). Moreover, the Court accepted the parties’ position that synthetically produced DMAA could qualify as a botanical under DSHEA. See April 3 Order at 8.

The April 3 Order simply ignores the import of the final subsection of this key part of DSHEA. Rather than focus on the definition of “constituent,” which is the relevant definition, the Court instead focused on the definition of “botanical,” concluding that “n normal usage, a botanical is a plant, a part of a plant, or a substance that is derived from a plant for a medicinal, cosmetic, or other purpose.” April 3 Order at 8. Hi-Tech take no umbrage with the Court’s definition of

botanical. What is missing, however, is an analysis of what a constituent of a botanical is under DSHEA. As noted above, Congress explicitly included “constituents” of botanicals as dietary ingredients under DSHEA and did not set any quantitative limit as to what qualifies as such. See 21 U.S.C. § 321(ff)(1)(F). Based on this irrefutable definition of “constituent,” DMAA qualifies as a dietary ingredient, even if it is only present at “trace” levels in geraniums. The Court’s reading of DSHEA simply reads the word constituent out of the statute in order to further the Court’s opinion about what it thinks Congress conceivably or “inconceivabl[y]” meant when it drafted DSHEA.

Lastly, aside from DMAA, there are numerous other constituents of organic substances that naturally occur in minute quantities which are made synthetically for dietary supplements. For example, both Resveratrol, an ingredient in grapes (and in wine) and CoQ10, which is an antioxidant that is synthesized in the body and is found in foods such as beef, chicken, fish, peanuts, and strawberries, can be commercially synthesized and are routinely included in dietary supplements. Both of these substances have long been recognized as dietary ingredients under

DSHEA. Yet, Resveratrol is found only in very small amounts in red wines, which have a Resveratrol content (per 5-oz glass) of 0.03-1.07 mg, which is approximately the same levels DMAA is found in the plant.

Hi-Tech believes that the Court’s failure to find that DMAA is a constituent of a botanical, which would have led to Hi-Tech winning on summary judgment, constitutes reversible error. Hi-Tech is optimistic that its motion to reconsider will be successful and this will be the end of the litigation and the fight over DMAA will be concluded. If it is not, however, Hi-Tech will appeal to the Eleventh Circuit and take it all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. This could extend this litigation for several more years. Hi-Tech’s CEO, Jared Wheat, quotes John Paul Jones and says… “I have not yet begun to fight!” Hi-Tech will of course continue to supply its customers with DMAA-containing products until there is a final, judicial determination.

and the fight continues on!

dougefresh93

dougefresh93

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wheat is a fighter, I have tons of respect for him.

JMark

JMark

Awards
Respect! The only company that stands up to the corrupt government.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm very appreciative of what Jared is doing and will continue to support the Hi-Tech family and stable of companies but...

IMG_4597.JPG

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm very appreciative of what Jared is doing and will continue to support the Hi-Tech family and stable of companies but...

View attachment 147811
here is a ELI5 to the best of my ability:

Hi-Tech sued the FDA about the legality of DMAA.
The court found that DMAA has evidence it's found in nature, yet they claimed that its in such small quantities, it shouldnt be legal.
This conclusion is not in line with DSHEA, which even the FDA agreed with.
HiTech is now appealing this decision, in an attempt to get the ruling thrown out.

C

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
They should turn this saga into a movie...wonder who we could cast to play VT in this

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Crazy how the make things illegal based on their mood at the time.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
here is a ELI5 to the best of my ability:

Hi-Tech sued the FDA about the legality of DMAA.
The court found that DMAA has evidence it's found in nature, yet they claimed that its in such small quantities, it shouldnt be legal.
This conclusion is not in line with DSHEA, which even the FDA agreed with.
HiTech is now appealing this decision, in an attempt to get the ruling thrown out.
Is all DMAA derived from geraniums yielding a highly concentrated extract?

Some products refer to it as geranium oil extract while others just state the nomenclature..I have also seen it referred to as Methylhexanamine HCL..

Just curious if it is all sourced the same way?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is all DMAA derived from geraniums yielding a highly concentrated extract?

Some products refer to it as geranium oil extract while others just state the nomenclature..I have also seen it referred to as Methylhexanamine HCL..

Just curious...
ALL DMAA on the market is synthetically produced. Many companies were listing it as an extract, which is incorrect.

even APS Mesomorph had it listed as geranium oil extract prior to being bought by Hi-Tech. All of our products list it correctly by either:

Methylhexanamine HCl
1,3 Dimethylamylamine HCl
1,3 Dimethylamylamine

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
They should turn this saga into a movie...wonder who we could cast to play VT in this
Bob Saget....Carrot Top....Vin Diesel (The Pacifier version).....or Tom Hanks

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Crazy how the make things illegal based on their mood at the time.
If they had their own way...I think their ultimate goal would be to ban all retail supplements (natural or not) in order to increase the amount of people that would turn to pharmaceuticals. They want people on drugs in the interest of Big Pharma..

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ALL DMAA on the market is synthetically produced. Many companies were listing it as an extract, which is incorrect.

even APS Mesomorph had it listed as geranium oil extract prior to being bought by Hi-Tech. All of our products list it correctly by either:

Methylhexanamine HCl
1,3 Dimethylamylamine HCl
1,3 Dimethylamylamine
Interesting...thanks for the info! I wonder if it could actually be derived from geraniums as a high yield extract? I would imagine this would be quite costly though in comparison.

This is off topic a bit but how was the FDA allowed to ban Ma Huang since that is found in nature?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting...thanks for the info! I wonder if it could actually be derived from geraniums as a high yield extract? I would imagine this would be quite costly though in comparison.

This is off topic a bit but how was the FDA allowed to ban Ma Huang since that is found in nature?
in theory, yes you could...but it would take so much plant material it would never be feasible.

as for ephedra, the FDA went through the correct legalities to get the product banned (unlike with DMAA), due to what they "proved" to be too many adverse health reports.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah...so basically no reason as long as it was not taken in excessive amounts..

Sorry...back to the topic at hand then...

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man is there a way to do all this for the original Ephedra??

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man is there a way to do all this for the original Ephedra??
no, the FDA legally banned that herb without any recourse. Ephedra is available now, but without ephedrine alkaloids.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Found In nature only satisfies one component of DSHEA.

Opium is found in nature as well

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If Hi Tech ultimately loses this, at least the FDA will know it can, and will be challenged on these things henceforth and might make them less cowboy-ish toward the industry.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If Hi Tech ultimately loses this, at least the FDA will know it can, and will be challenged on these things henceforth and might make them less cowboy-ish toward the industry.
I honestly think that's one of Jareds motivations here. Make sure they realize they are gonna have to spend a ton of money to get something banned without the proper legal pathways in the future. Hopefully other companies follow suit and fight back.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hopefully other companies follow suit and fight back.
Lmao

Given my cynicism towards [supp] companies in general, I doubt any company would do anything remotely like this unless it involved a compound they had some sort of legal "dibs" on (so, sh1t like Mediator PA for cheminutra, or hmbFA for Iovate, etc).

B

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now let's all cross our fingers that FDA won't go after CoQ10 and resveratrol after reading this.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lmao

Given my cynicism towards [supp] companies in general, I doubt any company would do anything remotely like this unless it involved a compound they had some sort of legal "dibs" on (so, sh1t like Mediator PA for cheminutra, or hmbFA for Iovate, etc).
I unfortunately agree with you.

Reactions: Nac
compan

compan

Awards
If this is the only result from it, I will still be happy. But HTP is also not like many other companies and will fight bag (while also being big enough to do so).

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Found In nature only satisfies one component of DSHEA.

Opium is found in nature as well
Yeah...I guess I was not thinking of it in those terms.

I just still remain bitter about the loss of legit Ma Huang Alkaloids as being an ingredient in fat burner supplements:disappointed:

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards