Diet - Same
Exercise - Same
Supplement - went to c4 ultimate pwo, others, same

Current - 184/17% BF
Changes
Diet - same
Exercise - same
Supplement - added Omega 3 and lecithin

Btw, im using whey isolate with 2.7g leucine per 25g protein serving... Plus plenty of eggs...I said I was broke right ?

I'm not making any muscle strength or size gains, but with a small caloric deficit I was expecting much. Only slight BF changes.

Bottom line, I'm on a shoestring budget right now and can't run out and grab 500 supplements to stack... Especially if half aren't going to work. In other words, I need help finding the down and dirty, baseline supps that will help push me I to the 12-15% range without losing the BB guns I've managed to get so far. Then I can finally work on a lean bulk.

I know everyone is different, but are there some common ones I'm missing? Can't afford to keep shooting in the dark.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Are you fcking kidding me? Your body comp changes have been stellar and they slowed down cause your body is getting use to exercise. Now comes the work.

There's no magic pill or training program that's going to make your gainz come faster

Be patient or start doing steroids

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Desperately need some mentoring.

Start
11/7/2016 - 220 lbs/33.8% BF
Changes
Diet - Starvation
Exercise - Light Cardio / Body weight

1/3/2017 - 180/24.9% BF
Changes
Diet - Protein/Healthy fats/some carbs
Exercise - Weight Lifting/Mod Cardio
Supplement - Creatine

2/6/2017 - 192/21.7% BF
Changes
Diet - Keto
Exercise - Weights/HIIT/Cardio
Supplement - Creatine/mild pwo/vit C/magnesium

3/21/2017 - 184/18% BF
Changes
Diet - Same
Exercise - Same

Current - 184/17% BF
Changes
Diet - same
Exercise - same

Btw, im using whey isolate with 2.7g leucine per 25g protein serving... Plus plenty of eggs...I said I was broke right ?

I'm not making any muscle strength or size gains, but with a small caloric deficit I was expecting much. Only slight BF changes.

Bottom line, I'm on a shoestring budget right now and can't run out and grab 500 supplements to stack... Especially if half aren't going to work. In other words, I need help finding the down and dirty, baseline supps that will help push me I to the 12-15% range without losing the BB guns I've managed to get so far. Then I can finally work on a lean bulk.

I know everyone is different, but are there some common ones I'm missing? Can't afford to keep shooting in the dark.
Stick to whey, creatine monohydrate, pwo, BCAAs, fish oil and vitamin d. Keep tracking your cals and get in a 40P/25F/35C diet. Make sure cals are high enough to match 1g per pound of body weight for protein.

H

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I agree with mmorso. One thing you could add would be a cheap pro biotic. I like nature's bounty pro biotic 10.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Are you fcking kidding me? Your body comp changes have been stellar and they slowed down cause your body is getting use to exercise. Now comes the work.

There's no magic pill or training program that's going to make your gainz come faster

So does that mean I'm doing something right, lol? I'm not looking for a magic pill. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something that should be there.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Stick to whey, creatine monohydrate, pwo, BCAAs, fish oil and vitamin d. Keep tracking your cals and get in a 40P/25F/35C diet. Make sure cals are high enough to match 1g per pound of body weight for protein.
So it's worth getting an additional BCAA sup? Just added the fish oil yesterday.

3parks

Awards

That's what I was going to say!

Cut out additional calories especially unnecessary carbs (actually weigh your food out too if you're not)

More squats/deadlifts, less bicep curls isolation exercises, more cardio

Maybe green tea for caffeine and fat burning qualities

H

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like everything is going right! If you are old enough and you could budget it in a prohormone or SARMs cycle would help you out.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
So does that mean I'm doing something right, lol? I'm not looking for a magic pill. I'm just making sure I'm not missing something that should be there.
Yeah bro looks like your kicking ass. Be patient!! You've only been doing this for like 5 months... getting on here and asking about supplements is going to just end up with a bunch of reps trying to sell you sh1t you don't need.

It's a marathon not a sprint, to use the cliches that still piss me off

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
I'm around 1800 kcals...Trying to get at least that anyway. Squats/deadlifts....Yeah...My daughter thinks hilarious that it squeaked every time I sat down today....My ass is killing me!

H

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
So it's worth getting an additional BCAA sup? Just added the fish oil yesterday.
The BCAAs are 100% legit I like bulk supplements off of Amazon. (I'm not trying to sell you stuff I've just used those for years)

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like everything is going right! If you are old enough and you could budget it in a prohormone or SARMs cycle would help you out.
I disagree with him using gear... keep milking the newbie gains!!! Honestly you won't keep any LBM through pct if your not developed before running a cycle IMO... then there's the psychological aspect... cycling is very addictive

Stay away as long as you can

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Thanks guys. Yeah, don't need to getting reps all over me...Unless they're sending me free samples ??

I have been adding green tee additives to my water throughout the day. I'll look I to the prohormone and sarms cycles, but if I'm doing as good as I'm being told, may just be what I got.
Ive been doing this all on my own and researching as much as I can before tweaking. Just needed some confirmation I guess.

Thanks again!

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This is a little presumptuous bro. We can agree that he has made some outstanding progress. It's apparent to me that he's not afraid to put in the work or make sacrifices. I don't see him asking for a magic pill here. He seems to have plateaued and is reasonably looking to change things up. That boils down changing diet, training, and/or supplementation. Thus far his supplementation has been minimal by our standards.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This. That's a ton of weight lost, and that kind of improvement in body composition is excellent, especially in that span of time!

Also, OP has been working out for 5 months. Why is anyone suggesting prohormones or SARMs at this juncture? (I realize mmorso was being sarcastic) Wait on that...this early on, the improvements you can make will likely dwarf what you'd make later on even with gear. I'd look into an all-in-one supplement that hits the natty staples for now...Tr1umph is excellent and on sale right now. That includes creatine, betaine, LCLT, alpha-GPC, and a lot more that'll aid in performance and body composition.

H

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. Yeah, don't need to getting reps all over me...Unless they're sending me free samples ??

I have been adding green tee additives to my water throughout the day. I'll look I to the prohormone and sarms cycles, but if I'm doing as good as I'm being told, may just be what I got.
Ive been doing this all on my own and researching as much as I can before tweaking. Just needed some confirmation I guess.

Thanks again!
I agree with mmorso don't go on SARMs or a prohormone. For some reason I was under the impression you had been at this for years... I guess I was impressed by your progress.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I disagree with him using gear... keep milking the newbie gains!!! Honestly you won't keep any LBM through pct if your not developed before running a cycle IMO... then there's the psychological aspect... cycling is very addictive

Stay away as long as you can
We agree here completely.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Actually you should check out Tr1umph

I love PA.

Bulking it activates mTOR and accelerates LBM gains

Cutting it keeps your muscles feeling full when in a deficit

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Well if it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize that's what he was suggesting...Furthering the evidence that I don't need to be going that route. Jebrook, thanks for helping clarify. I am just getting some insight. There's so many threads on so many supps that I get lost on what is essential vs needing to empty my pantry and bank for my own pharmacy.
Doing this alone both in/out of the gym has been a tough journey, but I definitely have the dedication and effort to get it done...Hell, did I mention I'm 38? If I worked this hard when I was 21..Well, I got I to enough trouble anyway.
Thanks all for the input. As I'm scrolling, it looks like BCAAs and probiotics are two I should add for now. I can swing those in the budget.
Can't tell you all how nice it is to get so much feedback...And so quickly! You guys rock!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree with the above posters... PH/Sarms at this stage would be a mistake. Concentrate on diet, and try to keep your carbs peri-workout. You are killing it!

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Actually you should check out Tr1umph

I love PA.

Bulking it activates mTOR and accelerates LBM gains

Cutting it keeps your muscles feeling full when in a deficit
I added lecithin granules for the PA. Just started that yesterday as well.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Well if it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize that's what he was suggesting...Furthering the evidence that I don't need to be going that route. Jebrook, thanks for helping clarify. I am just getting some insight. There's so many threads on so many supps that I get lost on what is essential vs needing to empty my pantry and bank for my own pharmacy.
Doing this alone both in/out of the gym has been a tough journey, but I definitely have the dedication and effort to get it done...Hell, did I mention I'm 38? If I worked this hard when I was 21..Well, I got I to enough trouble anyway.
Thanks all for the input. As I'm scrolling, it looks like BCAAs and probiotics are two I should add for now. I can swing those in the budget.
Can't tell you all how nice it is to get so much feedback...And so quickly! You guys rock!
I hope you stick around brother... I'll add you to my tag lists and get you into some conversations and log derailments.

It's a great community here

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
I hope you stick around brother... I'll add you to my tag lists and get you into some conversations and log derailments.

It's a great community here
I'll be here. If you check out my newcomer thread, this is a life or death decision for me. There is no quit, there is no finish line.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just learn more and more about diet. It'll be a long haul of experimenting, but you'll learn what works best for your body. Download some books and read.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Desperately need some mentoring.

Start
11/7/2016 - 220 lbs/33.8% BF
Changes
Diet - Starvation
Exercise - Light Cardio / Body weight

1/3/2017 - 180/24.9% BF
Changes
Diet - Protein/Healthy fats/some carbs
Exercise - Weight Lifting/Mod Cardio
Supplement - Creatine

2/6/2017 - 192/21.7% BF
Changes
Diet - Keto
Exercise - Weights/HIIT/Cardio
Supplement - Creatine/mild pwo/vit C/magnesium

3/21/2017 - 184/18% BF
Changes
Diet - Same
Exercise - Same

Current - 184/17% BF
Changes
Diet - same
Exercise - same

Ok, 1st Congrats On the changes you have all ready accomplished.
Your in a deficit, your not going to add muscle.
What is your macro breakdown.
Calories
Pro
Carbs
Fat.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Ok, 1st Congrats On the changes you have all ready accomplished.
Your in a deficit, your not going to add muscle.
What is your macro breakdown.
Calories
Pro
Carbs
Fat.
Thank you!

Kcals ~1800
Protein - 180g/1120kcals
Carbs - 50g/200kcals
Fat - 50g/450kcals

I'll be honest though, I fall short in getting that many cals most days, but try not to fall short in protein the best I can.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Thank you!

Kcals ~1800
Protein - 180g/1120kcals
Carbs - 50g/200kcals
Fat - 50g/450kcals

I'll be honest though, I fall short in getting that many cals most days, but try not to fall short in protein the best I can.
I'd drop the protein and up the fat (if you want to stay around the 1800kcal mark). 50g of fat is pretty low, and if your numbers are accurate, you have about 150lbs of lean mass (bone, water, muscle, organs, etc...).

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
You could make a reasonably cheap fat burner stack for your cardio consisting of:

EGCG 200mg (Green tea extract)
Cayenne Pepper 100,000 HU
Guarana 1-200mg caffeine (or just synthetic caffeine)

Optional:
L-Carnitine-tartrate/acetyl-carnitine
Yohimbine HCL (more side effects than the other ingredients)

This could help you with more stubborn bodyfat.

Also, for muscle gains I would go with creatine to start, but that's more for bulking or improving strength.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Yeah bro looks like your kicking ass. Be patient!! You've only been doing this for like 5 months... getting on here and asking about supplements is going to just end up with a bunch of reps trying to sell you sh1t you don't need.
Hey bro, shut yo mouf!
Blindstack I have magic pills by MST. Most potent on the market!

Seriously though, nice work so far. Look forward to seeing your progress based on how far you've already come!

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any before and after pics? I'm curious to see how theese changes have effected your body composition.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Any before and after pics? I'm curious to see how theese changes have effected your body composition.
I'll have to edit some pics. I don't have any shirtless beginning pics..Thank God!

I've taken at least some monthly ones. Not pretty, but it's progress. I'll get them up.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
You could make a reasonably cheap fat burner stack for your cardio consisting of:

EGCG 200mg (Green tea extract)
Cayenne Pepper 100,000 HU
Guarana 1-200mg caffeine (or just synthetic caffeine)

Optional:
L-Carnitine-tartrate/acetyl-carnitine
Yohimbine HCL (more side effects than the other ingredients)

This could help you with more stubborn bodyfat.

Also, for muscle gains I would go with creatine to start, but that's more for bulking or improving strength.
I'm using C4 Ultimate right now for a pwo. I know there's probably 6k other ones 'better' but so far it's the best option I've gotten from the local/national chain store...(I know, I know). But with my low budget, the ability to take stuff back when I don't like it is really important for me right now.

I'm taking Creatine. The extra water weight is fine for me. I'm in keto so I don't hold much, but any I do is lean mass. I'd rather have 30 more lbs of water than fat..Lol.

Here's a complete list of the supplements I'm taking.

Creatine - 10g 5 pre and 5 post WO
Magnesium - 500mg post WO
Vit C - 6g - 2g 3 times per day
Lecithin - 4 TBL spoons - 2 pre to post WO
Omega 3 - 1200mg daily
Multi-Vitamin
C4 Ultimate - one scoop pwo
ISO100 hydrolyzed whey isolate - 4 scoops (2 DBL shakes per day) totals 100g protein, 22g BCAAs, 11g Leucine
Green Tea Extract/Caffeine powder packs x4 daily. Need to check doses.

I think that's it.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
What I do notice is you are taking lecithin soy granules. While I personally have had good results from Fearn's/SL in terms of mass gains, I pretty consistently have noticed an increase in bodyfat while taking it also, especially in the abdominal area. A few other people agreed when I posted about it.
My waist also got much thicker on higher dose SL like you are doing (4+ tbsp).

I am bulking now and I only take it 4x/week when I'm training and this seems to minimize fat accumulation.

Personally, I wouldn't take soy lecithin when trying to lose fat. Though I'm sure others will chime on in this.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
There's nothing wrong with C4 ultimate if it fits your needs. I used C4, C4 ultimate, C4 neuro, etc for years. Worked fine for me. Like you say, there are better options, but it works! Not sure what C4 costs these days, but RagNOrok (30 serving) is less than $45 shipped with my coupon, or $1.50/serving. MST also has a money back guarantee. Mail back what's left for 100% refund minus shipping. So you'd be out maybe $10 if you hated it. Ah crap, there I go repping and selling you crap you don't need. :)

Is there a reason you're taking 10g of creatine instead of the typical 5g? I'm pretty sure with more than 5g, you're just peeing out the rest. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always understood. Plus, there is already some in C4 too. So keep that in mind...

Lastly, you might try and get more protein from food and cut back on the shakes to like one a day. I've found it harder to shake stubborn fat when drinking multiple protein shakes per day. I think others mentioned having similar issues over on the 6 week fat loss challenge thread a while back.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
What I do notice is you are taking lecithin soy granules. While I personally have had good results from Fearn's/SL in terms of mass gains, I pretty consistently have noticed an increase in bodyfat while taking it also, especially in the abdominal area. A few other people agreed when I posted about it.
My waist also got much thicker on higher dose SL like you are doing (4+ tbsp).

I am bulking now and I only take it 4x/week when I'm training and this seems to minimize fat accumulation.

Personally, I wouldn't take soy lecithin when trying to lose fat. Though I'm sure others will chime on in this.
Dang it. I just started it Saturday. I'm measuring daily, so I'll keep an eye on it. I was hoping that I'd get a little help with strength as I'm really starting to struggle to increase or even maintain my strength in the gym, what little there is, while continuing the defecit.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
There's nothing wrong with C4 ultimate if it fits your needs. I used C4, C4 ultimate, C4 neuro, etc for years. Worked fine for me. Like you say, there are better options, but it works! Not sure what C4 costs these days, but RagNOrok (30 serving) is less than $45 shipped with my coupon, or $1.50/serving. MST also has a money back guarantee. Mail back what's left for 100% refund minus shipping. So you'd be out maybe $10 if you hated it. Ah crap, there I go repping and selling you crap you don't need. :)

Is there a reason you're taking 10g of creatine instead of the typical 5g? I'm pretty sure with more than 5g, you're just peeing out the rest. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always understood. Plus, there is already some in C4 too. So keep that in mind...

Lastly, you might try and get more protein from food and cut back on the shakes to like one a day. I've found it harder to shake stubborn fat when drinking multiple protein shakes per day. I think others mentioned having similar issues over on the 6 week fat loss challenge thread a while back.
I was at 5g Creatine monohydrate, but since going keto and flushing so often, I've noticed that 10g has been more effective for me. There is 2g in c4. Even with that, magnesium and vit c, I still have trouble with #2. Guess I should go back to c4 ripped...Seems like the only thing it was good for.

I do cut down on the shakes when I can eat real food, but it's just where I'm at and the shakes beat nothing at all...And eggs are cheap, but I can only eat them so many times a day. I try and buy large packs of lean beef and cook a dozen patties or so at a time...That way I can grab and go, but again, I'm using what I've got.

Don't worry about repping me. I have no problem trying free samples!!!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If you are on a shoestring budget, you'll save money and probably get equal or better results from Taster's Choice Instant Coffee (Sam's or Costco have GIANT containers for $11) and two Primatene Tabs (~$10 for thirty 25mg servings) - than any Pre-Workout. I'd also question if you really are in Ketosis consuming 184g of protein - KetoStix only show Acetoacetate, not Betahydroxy-butyrate. You really need a Blood Ketone Monitor to do "Keto" right, IMO.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
If you are on a shoestring budget, you'll save money and probably get equal or better results from Taster's Choice Instant Coffee (Sam's or Costco have GIANT containers for $11) and two Primatene Tabs (~$10 for thirty 25mg servings) - than any Pre-Workout. I'd also question if you really are in Ketosis consuming 184g of protein - KetoStix only show Acetoacetate, not Betahydroxy-butyrate. You really need a Blood Ketone Monitor to do "Keto" right, IMO.
Yeah..I don't need the stix. Upping my protein that high kicked me out. Gained 6 lbs in two days. Going back into it. My son's 45 min baseball practice included 7 trips to the bathroom. Dropped 3 lbs of water in an hour. Like the idea about the coffee. That's the ghetto fabulous ideas I was looking for!!! Thanks!

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Ok, so those two are backwards...Here's the last
IMG_20170419_173550543.jpg

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Dude, that is NOTHING! - You are on easy street :D You can tune that shjt up pretty quick, IMO.

Blindstack

Blindstack

Awards
Thanks! Been busting my ass. I'm almost willing to step outside with my shirt off ??

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This only a true dad emergency if u wear white New Balance too

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer