BCAA causing increase in blood glucose and insulin

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have done some recent research and Dr. Tony Huge ( I know isn't that credible) and a couple other people I know say that taking BCAA before and with cardio actually increase blood glucose levels and insulin. So in turn drinking them pre fasted cardio may hinder fat loss.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get better fat loss results drinking water during cardio. I swear it makes a difference. Think about it, bcaas are instant fuel for muscles. So if you're drinking those during cardio it makes sense that you're burning those off immediately and never tapping into fat stores. Complete broscience on my part but I think there's something to it.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Yea I agree with that. If anything drinking the aminos post cardio would if you weren't going to eat for about 30-45 mins

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have done some recent research and Dr. Tony Huge ( I know isn't that credible) and a couple other people I know say that taking BCAA before and with cardio actually increase blood glucose levels and insulin. So in turn drinking them pre fasted cardio may hinder fat loss.

Yes, BCAA cause an insulin spike, although the spike is quite transient.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Did you know eating food hinders weight loss?

People need to stop worrying about what happens for 20-30mins of the day and focus on the entire day. Things taken this largely out of context is why people fear food rather than learn how to manage it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

In saying that, if something yields Calories, how can you then be training fasted?

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I used BCAA's for my last cut intra workout, mainly Xtend Perform and Regular and noticed fat loss in general was slower, when i dropped them i noticed fat loss sped up again, i will not be using then for any future cuts based on this and just rely on food and protein shakes to meet protein based requirements. I also feel they hinder fat loss by slowing it down when used pre or intra workout due to conversion to glucose.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242477/

It has been hypothesized that performing aerobic exercise after an overnight fast accelerates the loss of body fat............These findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did you know eating food hinders weight loss?

People need to stop worrying about what happens for 20-30mins of the day and focus on the entire day. Things taken this largely out of context is why people fear food rather than learn how to manage it
;
You mean I don't have to micro manage everything to gain some muscle?! :p

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote