5 essential supplements

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I just want to see people's opinions on this topic. My question is if you could only pick 5 supplements to include in routine which ones would they be?

Mine would be:
Pre workout
Whey protein
Vitamin D (Canadian weather sucks)
Creatine
Fish oils

JayT

JayT

Awards
Interesting post, it made me look at my stash. And the 5 I have to go with are!

1) multi Vitamin (Animal)
2) pre workout (N.O explode)
3) bcaa (Bpi)
4) DMZ (Demonize biotech)
5) Pct (Purify biotech)

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
PWO for sure!

Protein powder because I don't have the time or money to cook that much

Creatine

I don't really have an essential other 2 but vitamins are key because my diet isn't perfect

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Yeah pre workout is definitely a staple lol

ECWHY

Awards
Creatine
Fish Oils
Multi
Whey
PWO(or some stim to get pumped for a WO)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
-Nootropic (with some caffeine for energy; can also be used PWO)
-Daily Staple (creatine, betaine, etc)
-Ashwagandha
-General Health Stuff. If I had to pick 2 to fill the 5 specified by OP, it may be Kyolic and Spirulina.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
-Nootropic (with some caffeine for energy; can also be used PWO)
-Daily Staple (creatine, betaine, etc)
-Ashwagandha
-General Health Stuff. If I had to pick 2 to fill the 5 specified by OP, it may be Kyolic and Spirulina.
Spirulina for what benefit?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Spirulina for what benefit?
Spirulina actually has a lot of benefits; much more than just being a healthy "green" food with a high % of protein like some people say. There are human studies showing it can improve strength and endurance, help with allergies and congestion, liver fat and liver enzymes, etc. There are also animal studies showing other benefits for thing like arthritis at doses that should be relevant/achievable for humans. I don't really enjoy the taste of the powder, so I use tabs, which are still pretty affordable.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Multivitamin - orange triad
Fish oil
Creatine - SNS caps
Epicatechin - CEL EPI-PLEX
HMB

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Multi
Creatine
Select
ABE
Alphamine or prolific.

If we are talking hormonal then:

Test
Test
Deca
Tren
Arom/exem

Cant go wrong doubling the test!

Run579

Run579

Awards
I am unsure if I have 5 but I always use a PWO, creatine, and protein. I have always gone back and forth on multi, fish oil, and Vit D. I have taken a lot of multis and to be honest never noticed a difference. I am currently taking a "comprehensive/expensive" one now and cannot really tell. As for fish oil, I only ever got the burps from it even taking the popular ones. Finally, vit D I take sometimes but I drink a lot of milk, which is fortified with vitamin D (at least in US).

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Creatine, whey, multivitamin, fish oil, preworkout

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Creatine, whey, multivitamin, fish oil, preworkout
I'm the same as this. I always have my multi and fish oil in the morning, then my pre workout before training and my creatine & whey post workout.

pbandy1

Awards
fish oil
magnesium glycinate
zinc
protein powder (casein/whey mix)
vitamin D

everything else is not necessary for me

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
FD2
Waxy Maize
BCAA
Vitamin D 5000iu
B complex 100 (including B5)

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin
Digestive Enzymes
Fish Oil
Whey
Cyclic Dextrin

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Fish Oil
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
BCAA
Creatine

Those are my top 5 essentials

Then I would throw in things such as Whey, PWO, Post Workouts, Sleep Aids

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Does anyone believe in nitric oxide boosters?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Does anyone believe in nitric oxide boosters?

I LOVE NO boosters (Hemavo2Max for example is a fantastic product) but do I think it is an essential? No, it's not.

I feel I would put that in with my whey, PWO, Post-Workout column

travbedaman

travbedaman

Awards
  • Established
How bout my top #1, a high quality green superfood supplement. Rarely anyone gets in enough phytonutrients from fruits or vegetables, plus all the other beneficial things in there as well (probiotic/prebiotics etc).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How bout my top #1, a high quality green superfood supplement. Rarely anyone gets in enough phytonutrients from fruits or vegetables, plus all the other beneficial things in there as well (probiotic/prebiotics etc).
I don't use a dedicated greens supplement (as in a mix of greens in powder form), but I do use spirulina and wheatgrass tabs (4g day each), and Gut Health (probiotic).

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Fish Oil
Protein - Select / Gold Standard
Multi - Orange Triad/Optimen/Trumulti
Creatine-Creapure
Beta Alanine- CarnoSyn

Other things I use very often are Melatonin, Ashwagandha, Vit D3 (winter), Caffeine.

travbedaman

travbedaman

Awards
  • Established
I don't use a dedicated greens supplement (as in a mix of greens in powder form), but I do use spirulina and wheatgrass tabs (4g day each), and Gut Health (probiotic).
Those are both good too, the superfood I use has all that stuff in it as well.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those are both good too, the superfood I use has all that stuff in it as well.
Out of curiosity, what greens supplement do you use? I've seen that a lot of them only have a dusting, or at least not ideal amounts, of any particular ingredient. I find that spirulina and wheat grass both have a good bit of promising research, but I like to know that I'm getting effective doses of both.

travbedaman

travbedaman

Awards
  • Established
Out of curiosity, what greens supplement do you use? I've seen that a lot of them only have a dusting, or at least not ideal amounts, of any particular ingredient. I find that spirulina and wheat grass both have a good bit of promising research, but I like to know that I'm getting effective doses of both.
I use Amazing Grass Green Superfood "antioxidant" version. They make a few different variations.

travbedaman

travbedaman

Awards
  • Established
Cool, I know their stuff. How's the taste?

It's a berry flavor, it's OK. It doesn't taste like dirty lawn clippings like most of them do, lol.

I used to use a chocolate one by another company, that was awesome by itself or in protein shakes, but they changed to a "new and improved" formula that was half the good stuff taken out, yeah improved savings for the company... good ol marketing.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man melatonin gives me hangovers lol what'd you think about GABA
For improving sleep, I'd recommend glycine and L-ornithine HCL (for improving sleep quality) and L-tryptophan (for actually inducing sleep). It's a basic/simple stack, but it's affordable, safe, and is something that you can take regularly. There are other things you can add if you want as well.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"Essential supplement" is a contradiction in terms.

/smartarse

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
"Essential supplement" is a contradiction in terms.

/smartarse
Lol true but...
Food + training + sleep + supplements = gains

Therefore essential :)

/Smartarse

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id be interested to know, of all the bros itt listing d3 as "essential", how many know that they are even deficient or require d3 supplementation? And, if they have been tested, if they know how reliable current testing methods are?

Inb4 studies showing correlated benefits of megadosing vit d.

Hyperfluxe

Awards
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
Magnesium
SAM-e
Probiotics

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Id be interested to know, of all the bros itt listing d3 as "essential", how many know that they are even deficient or require d3 supplementation? And, if they have been tested, if they know how reliable current testing methods are?

Inb4 studies showing correlated benefits of megadosing vit d.
You're right about that but I think it's because people take it according to studies which state that 80% of the pop is deficient in D3 which is only the people who got tested so that probably plays with the stats but this is why people supplement it but the thing is your body requires 20 000 iu I believe which you can get from the sun and you can only supplement up to a quarter (5000 iu) with that before getting mild side effects.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Multi - Orange Triad
Fish Oil - OxiOmega
Ashwagandha
Erogenic Aid - PowerMax XT or Ergonine (creatine, betaine, etc.)
Probiotic - Gut Health

dbuckley82

dbuckley82

Awards
  • Established
ALCAR- best single supplement period. 4g a day.
Tongkat Ali-best test boosting herb, if you can find a legit extract
KSM-66
Whey
OL Triumph

Zariph

Awards
ALCAR- best single supplement period. 4g a day.
Tongkat Ali-best test boosting herb, if you can find a legit extract
KSM-66
Whey
OL Triumph
What does ALCAR do for you? I tried it 2gram pre, but didnt notice much

dbuckley82

dbuckley82

Awards
  • Established
Basically I take 2 grams, with caffeine, twice a day. I get a decent perceptible boost in cognition and a nice mild energy boost, but the best results, for me, rely on taking it regularly at that dosage for a few weeks. I get accelerated fat loss, and the weight stays off. I have read reviews or 'studies' that say it doesn't do anything for fat loss (examine.com), which is wrong. I gone through kilo's of alcar, multiple times, same effect. I also just feel 'better' on alcar. It does have tons of benefits if you do the research, i dont know what one is contributing to the sense of wellness, but whatever. And the best part is, its cheap as ****. So basically, mental benefits, overall health benefits, well being benefits, and fatloss benefits at a cheap, cheap price. Gotta up the dosage though, 500mg doesnt do anything for me.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Shame ... I do not use Omega 3 ... most of you!
:(

Triton Power

Triton Power

Awards
Where can I buy legit ksm 66, Alcar, L-ornithine HCL, L-tryptophan,Tongkat Ali