Who uses HumaPro?

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I use it off and on. I like the product a lot.

It's a blend of free form amino acids that mimic the effect of protein. I always theorized that free form amino acids are utilized differently than peptides and this seems to be true based on their preliminary studies.

Whey gives me some stomach issues on occasion so I like HumaPro for that reason.

Anyone else use this or have good or bad experiences?

Taste has been vastly improved (thank god) because the original tasted like flavored burnt hair. lol New stuff is 9 out of 10 on flavor.

he-man

he-man

Awards
  • Established
I used it a couple of time. The last time being during a run of PSMF...it was a god send for the cals or lack of!! Didn't like the chemical taste of cut pineapple I think it's called!!

I'm struggling with whey too, and pure isolates are watery and expensive!! Maybe try a month of humapro and see how it treats me in the near future!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
We have it at 25% off right now FYI, but I use it anyway.

It's good tasting but again it's amino acids...lol I mean nothing is GREAT tasting to me any more. Ive been downing this **** for 20 years.

I want Methoxy 7 bubblegum by Biotest

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Feedback from the majority of people using HumaPro has been very positive (several logs on AM documenting it). It's most beneficial for those on restricted calories (i.e. cutting) but wanting to retain as much muscle as possible.

It's a true one of a kind product.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I admit I was skeptical about it when I first heard about it. It wasn't until I did research on the master amino acid pattern that it was formulated from that it started to make sense. I have used it and really enjoy the strawberry kiwi flavor.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I always get the orange one somehow. Lol the apple is good.

compan

compan

Awards
I admit I was skeptical about it when I first heard about it. It wasn't until I did research on the master amino acid pattern that it was formulated from that it started to make sense. I have used it and really enjoy the strawberry kiwi flavor.
I was also skeptical about it. But I've used it and actually liked it.

Flavor is definitely pretty good now

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excuse my ignorance as I've never really paid attention to this stuff....your saying having a serving of Humapro is exactly like having a serving of Whey protein wise i.e. 25g vs 25g?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excuse my ignorance as I've never really paid attention to this stuff....your saying having a serving of Humapro is exactly like having a serving of Whey protein wise i.e. 25g vs 25g?

That is what the science indicates based upon nitrogen retention.

I have some other studies I can show which show the same amino acid formula being used in different situations. It's really interesting stuff.

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is what the science indicates based upon nitrogen retention.

I have some other studies I can show which show the same amino acid formula being used in different situations. It's really interesting stuff.
Part of it is getting through that mental block and "believing" in it...that's what I'm struggling with. I'm up for trying new things just can't seem to get my mind around the concept of this master amino acid sequence/pattern being the same as ingesting protein...if that makes sense.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Part of it is getting through that mental block and "believing" in it...that's what I'm struggling with. I'm up for trying new things just can't seem to get my mind around the concept of this master amino acid sequence/pattern being the same as ingesting protein...if that makes sense.
Makes total sense to me, I was in the same boat. Check out these study abstracts

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Good information. I really do like the product and I think it't good for the following situations.

1) Bed time - I can't drink whey before bed most of the time because I get indigestion. HumaPro allows me a source of amino acids right before bed.

2) IntraWorkout - not a big fan of BCAA's alone intra workout. HumaPro and BCAA's work well as a combo.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Makes total sense to me, I was in the same boat. Check out these study abstracts

Interesting stuff for sure, but are there any studies on it not headed by M. Lucà-Moretti? Of course, that doesn't mean that the studies are invalid by any means, I'm just curious as to if this person is associated with the people who make MAP, and if the studies were all funded by the people who make MAP, as I haven't seen any conflict of interest section at all in the full texts I've read. Again, I'm not saying that the studies are invalid even if they are all funded by the MAP people, just something I'm curious about.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't seen any recent studies, but tbh I haven't looked in a while

Jeremy Lifts

Jeremy Lifts

Awards
I use it religiously. First half of my workout I'll drink chaind out and then second half is Humapro. Mandarin Orange is my flavor of choice.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
From across the intarwebz...

snorkelman
May 6, 2010

I had to google HumaPro. Here is an excerpt from their website.

Sure sounds like something that Alan would have fun interjecting with smart-ass comments.

“ALRi is releasing the world’s first HUMAN protein. nothing like whey….and 1g of it will be equivalent to 5.6g of pharmecutical whey. (thats right…the kind in IV bags at hospitals). Very little waste, 99% anabolic, and due to its efficiency servings are 5-10g up to 4 times a day.

40g of HUMAPRO will be equivalent to 224g of whey protein Isolate(pharm grade)”

Alan Aragon
May 6, 2010
I just checked out the HumaPro hype. Extraodrinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So far? ZIPPO.

However, they did say, “Currently ALR Industries is funding 3 clinical and 2 University studies for Humapro™ with more to follow it only gets better from here while the rest try to catch up.”

Wow, the credibility just makes me salivate
A paper: Opens PDF

http://www.prometeus.nl/CmsData/Mediabrowser/files/Humapro_vs_WheyProtein_ResearchPaper.pdf

A newspaper article on the good Dr Cohen and Bioletics:

History of sanctions; Bioletics founder has been cited in the past

7 year old EAAs?

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright...I buckled and bought 2 Mandarin Orange

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd be interested to hear his discussion on the actual science, not just baseless supplement bashing per usual from oldguy

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd be interested to hear his discussion on the actual science, not just baseless supplement bashing per usual from oldguy
Just from a cursory glance at the profile and quickly skimming the research, I admittedly haven't completely read through the studies yet, it seems like it'd be pretty similar to an EAA supplement, with the claim that it's the ideal ratio of amino acids for humans. I do see merit in its use as an EAA type supplement, and perhaps also as the studies claim, to help keep "protein intake" up while keeping calories down during a cut. Does that seem about right, or am I off-base here?

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
humapro-45serve-rocketpop.png

Dont know about you guys but I'm damn excited to try this new flavor!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'd be interested to hear more about these:

Currently ALR Industries is funding 3 clinical and 2 University studies for Humapro™ with more to follow...
Can you point me to them?. Please tell me "Dr." Cohen's wasn't one of them :D?

It's 5g of EAA's... and? Please no links back to MAP - that's just a (the original?) company pushing the stuff with a lot of "R's" and "TM's" next to all the fancy words.

I saw M Luca Moretti's 2003 PubMed thing - what else is out there?

If you think using EAA's somewhere will benefit you, and HumaPro is the best value - use it. But it's a 2010 EAA product, based on 2003 research, that's all.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
...while keeping calories down...
How are Amino Acids not 4kcal per gram? They can be Insulinogenic on their own (especially Leucine), and can be converted into Glucose for energy. How does 5g of this, not have the same kcals as 5g of Whey Hydrolysate (or any protein without any fat/sugar)? **BTW, this is rhetorical, not really meant for you - but if I'm wrong, learn me up home slice :D**

The best you can say about this (or EAA's in general) is that based on the Churchward-Venne study (with Stu Phillips), 5g of Leucine added to 6g of Whey, can illicit the same MPS as 24g of Whey - but we all know that just MPS isn't the be all/end all of how much LBM people build/retain.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I use humapro every day. I have received lots of great feedback from the demos I have done throughout the year. Older people, athletic people and really, all kinds of people I have met are using it. It's the perfect ratio of the essential amino acids that aid in protein synthesis. To the skeptics, I ask, "have you used a full tub or more of it"? I challenge you to give humapro a fair shot. You may not understand how it works completely, but it's hard to deny its effectiveness.

he-man

he-man

Awards
  • Established
I use humapro every day. I have received lots of great feedback from the demos I have done throughout the year. Older people, athletic people and really, all kinds of people I have met are using it. It's the perfect ratio of the essential amino acids that aid in protein synthesis. To the skeptics, I ask, "have you used a full tub or more of it"? I challenge you to give humapro a fair shot. You may not understand how it works completely, but it's hard to deny its effectiveness.
For someone that tracks Marcos...would you input 25g protein per serving as advertised or is this wrong?!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How are Amino Acids not 4kcal per gram? They can be Insulinogenic on their own (especially Leucine), and can be converted into Glucose for energy. How does 5g of this, not have the same kcals as 5g of Whey Hydrolysate (or any protein without any fat/sugar)? **BTW, this is rhetorical, not really meant for you - but if I'm wrong, learn me up home slice :D**

The best you can say about this (or EAA's in general) is that based on the Churchward-Venne study (with Stu Phillips), 5g of Leucine added to 6g of Whey, can illicit the same MPS as 24g of Whey - but we all know that just MPS isn't the be all/end all of how much LBM people build/retain.
True, lower cals than whole food I suppose.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For someone that tracks Marcos...would you input 25g protein per serving as advertised or is this wrong?!
It's wrong. Plain wrong.

Bcaas account for a minute amount of protein (few grams at best)

Read Alan Argons thoughts on humapro

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's wrong. Plain wrong.

You mean this (from his blog):

I just checked out the HumaPro hype. Extraodrinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So far? ZIPPO.

However, they did say, “Currently ALR Industries is funding 3 clinical and 2 University studies for Humapro™ with more to follow it only gets better from here while the rest try to catch up.”

Wow, the credibility just makes me salivate.

That's just typical Aragon rhetoric i.e. believes in nothing. If he did say more about it, I can't find it.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
You are asking if i do and yes I do. It's not my primary protein source though and as I am currently only adding 1 scoop to my daily protein intake (and what's needed for "daily protein intake" is debated), it's about 100 calories difference, so it doesn't effect daily caloric intake a whole lot. The science people can argue and will argue about, but at the end of the day, effectiveness is what does it for me. This is my personal opinion and stand behind Humapro 100%.

pro45

Awards
One 7.2 gram serving cannot equate to 25 grams of protein. I've seen the Humapro capsules,and supposedly one capsule is 5 grams of protein. this just cannot be. One Ultra 40 liver tab is 2 grams protein. And one of Beverly Intl's Mass Amino tab is 1 gram P and contains a complete amino acid array.. For someone who is accurately counting macro's, the Humapro can throw you off. This is probably not a concern for the majority of people, however, if you compete as a physique competitor, it may become problematic..

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
The claims may be a little outlandish (RIP ALR) but I still like it as a product and I do think the utilization is probably accurate. Seems like a fair amount of ingested protein is turned into "fuel" which is what I think they are getting at...

I like the product personally but I can't verify any of the claims...

I think the addition of bitter melon makes a big difference. I love that supplement.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have to agree with you big time!!! I was like NO WAY will this allow me to get in my protein requirements. I used it for my wedding prep and man, it works. Plain and simple

PLUS I loved the taste of it and how easy it is to drink

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've used all the flavors and really like the Mandarin Orange and strawberry kiwi

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's wrong. Plain wrong.

Dr. D'agostino would disagree, and has research that shows it.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
They can be Insulinogenic on their own (especially Leucine), and can be converted into Glucose for energy.
They can be but it seems the internet has gone from they don't (10 years ago) to assuming they do all the time (which they don't). In fact, its quite rare and the insulin response form leucine seems extremely fast and clears just as fast.

Gluconeogensis is a condition that really only happens in certain situations....Mainly macro and calorie dependent conditions that most people never even approach.

...and even less so in ketosis.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
They can be but it seems the internet has gone from they don't (10 years ago) to assuming they do all the time (which they don't). In fact, its quite rare and the insulin response form leucine seems extremely fast and clears just as fast.

Gluconeogensis is a condition that really only happens in certain situations....Mainly macro and calorie dependent conditions that most people never even approach.

...and even less so in ketosis.
Well.... I must be a "less so" case as far as Gluconeogenesis goes - I can not get above 0.5mmol of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate in Blood (using a NovaMax Blood Ketone Meter), unless I drop to less than 70g Protein. At 68g, best I've achieved so far is 1.1mmol, and yesterday was 0.8 (Exact same food, every single day - kept replacing Protein sources with Butter/Coconut until the meter moved up).

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well.... I must be a "less so" case as far as Gluconeogenesis goes - I can not get above 0.5mmol of Beta-Hydroxybutyrate in Blood (using a NovaMax Blood Ketone Meter), unless I drop to less than 70g Protein. At 68g, best I've achieved so far is 1.1mmol, and yesterday was 0.8 (Exact same food, every single day).
As long as you're .5 or above, its fine (in active people). Inactive people tend to read higher.

If you're at 1.1mmol while active, you're more than optimal.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
His research shows that BCAAs account for more that 3-4g of protein?

Could you link me please? I've got a few of his podcast in que and downloading his PDF now.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Could you link me please? I've got a few of his podcast in que and downloading his PDF now.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Perhaps he meant that BCAAs/EAAs/Leucine could stimulate MPS/etc to the same degree as a greater amount of protein?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Perhaps he meant that BCAAs/EAAs/Leucine could stimulate MPS/etc to the same degree as a greater amount of protein?
This as well as greater concentration of leucine in the bloodstream when comparing traditional 40/40/20 to keto diets.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

He did a 3 hour show with Tim Ferris (Podcast), and talks *exactly* about what he has done/seen with BCAAs in relation to Keto and Cancer (Mice). I don't know exactly what the debate is in this regard, in this thread - but it wasn't anything earth shattering IMO. He said cancerous mice given BCAA maintained weight, and mostly (he thought) due to Leucine/mTOR. He's close personal friends with the company owner that supplied a special version of their BCAA product (Glutamine removed), and that company is funding a lot/most/all of his cancer research. He also states that nothing is proven (up to the date of the podcast - I don't follow DDD religiously, so correct anything that needs correcting), and that this was all observational.

So, right off the top of my head, you'd also have to give these cancerous mice cheap, straight Leucine and see if the result is the same. But again, I have no clue what the debate is in relation to HumaPro/Thread.

I just want to know what makes this product any different from EAA's? Where the promised 5 University/Clinical studies are? And what competitive bodybulder is going to quit eating 225g of protein, and eat 40g of this instead? (There's a cost thing too - 40g makes a tub last 11 days IIRC, so you need 3 per month if you believe the 40=225 claim and this stuff appears to range from $40-$50/Tub).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He did a 3 hour show with Tim Ferris (Podcast), and talks *exactly* about what he has done/seen with BCAAs in relation to Keto and Cancer (Mice). I don't know exactly what the debate is in this regard, in this thread - but it wasn't anything earth shattering IMO. He said cancerous mice given BCAA maintained weight, and mostly (he thought) due to Leucine/mTOR. He's close personal friends with the company owner that supplied a special version of their BCAA product (Glutamine removed), and that company is funding a lot/most/all of his cancer research. He also states that nothing is proven (up to the date of the podcast - I don't follow DDD religiously, so correct anything that needs correcting), and that this was all observational.

So, right off the top of my head, you'd also have to give these cancerous mice cheap, straight Leucine and see if the result is the same. But again, I have no clue what the debate is in relation to HumaPro/Thread.

I just want to know what makes this product any different from EAA's? Where the promised 5 University/Clinical studies are? And what competitive bodybulder is going to quit eating 225g of protein, and eat 40g of this instead? (There's a cost thing too - 40g makes a tub last 11 days IIRC, so you need 3 per month if you believe the 40=225 claim and this stuff appears to range from $40-$50/Tub).
I'd also like to know how this is significantly different than an EAA product. Is the claim that it's better because it's some "perfect" ratio of amino acids? I understand that ingredients have synergy, but it seems very unlikely that there's some magical exact ratio of amino acids that yields drastically better results than other similar ratios. Perhaps an "ideal" ratio would require a somewhat smaller dose to achieve the same "effects" as a somewhat larger dose, but even then wouldn't it be similar to a somewhat larger dose of EAAs? Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, as I really enjoy EAAs intra-workout. :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established

He did a seminar as well at University of Tampa. He's been doing research using BCAA's long before he actually stated he used Xtend with his research and it mainly has to be with the difference between BCAA utilization of keto diets vs traditional 40/40/20 splits....and one of the more interesting points is that gluconeogensis is reduced greatly in a keto state vs a traditional diet..hence the protein requirement for keto diets is less. (which is confirmation of Valek and Phinney's earlier work). How ketone bodies are muscle sparing is still unknown which they fully admit...but it still seems to be the case.

So in theory protein turnover is much great in traditional diets vs keto, hence BCAA products and more importantly leucine show way more promise.

Bringing up the funding aspect of his research seems to be a way of trying to either discredit the information, or taint the discussion which if you listened to the guy for 3 hours would probably come to the conclusion that it isn't the case...since his main area seems to be helping epileptic kids.

The bodybuilding, powerlifting, performance side is more his own curiosity. I'm pretty sure Patrick Arnold thinks highly of him and both worked on early experimentation with exogenous ketones.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understand that ingredients have synergy, but it seems very unlikely that there's some magical exact ratio of amino acids that yields drastically better results than other similar ratios.
We participate in a hobby/sport/lifestyle in which dramatic in short periods of time isn't in the cards. People expecting differently, should probably take up another hobby/sport/lifestyle. Having said that, we can see marked difference in "some" data showing that a 2:1:1 4:1:1 and 8:1:1 BCAA profile could have different effects.

We don't live in vacuum. What didn't worked for me when I was 28, seems to help me now. What works while I'm keto, doesn't do much using a traditional diet. What I really don't understand is if people do enough research, they understand all of this isn't an all or nothing, black or white, right or wrong scenario but it seems some well known "nutritionists" tend to take that view until they are proven wrong....And they often have been over the last 15yrs.

15yrs ago, spiking insulin with 50+ grams of sugar and maltodextrin was literally pushed by the experts....the same people who are against it now.