Megadosing Vitamin C

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Originally posted by Biggin
    aight, I suppose you have a point but are you suggesting that all studies on the subject are worthless unless they use 1-4 g/hr, as was stated as the approximate range necessary?... and with such a great range necessary due to individual variance, studies would need use at least 5g or so... per *hour*?
    I have yet to see a study in which patients were given even 1 gram every hour.

2. Originally posted by windwords7

What's the dose they came up with for the Selenium? Benzy??
    I will have to look this up, but for now, I would stay at a small dose if I were you. Selenium is very toxic in mega doses, unlike E & C. Several years ago, I think in the 1960's even, Ohio State did a study on Selenium, and found that fertlizers that contained too much selenium were having toxic effects on the biological activity in the soil of the wheat and corn fields all through the midwest, causing decreased yeilds. It was featured in the US Dept of Agriculture's hardbound yearbook, and as a result, many fertilizer makers reformulated their mix.

Just stay at the recommended daily dose until we find that data.

3. Im sorry but what exactly does selenium do? Does it act like an anti-oxidant? Please inform me.

4. Originally posted by John Benz

I purposely omitted the first and last parts for the sake of brevity, as they were redundant added little pro or con, just ramblings.
    And, the Vitamin C Foundation has more than a few resrvations about ALL forms of buffered C, both ester and mineral ascorbates. BTW, this thread was about treating illness with megadose Vit-C. I highlight part of my previous post below

1. The readers of this thread can conclude whether or not the omitted portions of the article were "redundant" or "ramblings" (I'm sure the author would be flattered by this characterization). I appreciated the article, but I don't think it condemed either mineral ascorbates or Ester-C, especially when the omitted sections are considered. Others can draw their own conclusions.
    2. I spent a little time at the Vitamin C Foundation website and some writers in links advocated using mineral ascorbates. I didn't extensively research the website however and I couldn't find a search engine.
    3. While the Vitamin C Foundation is a credible organization, it is hardly the last word on the subject of Vitamin C. I'm sure we can all agree that no organization or individual is the last word on anything. Even if the Vitamin C Foundation were opposed to mineral ascorbates there is certainly responsible dissent on the subject. For example, the Life Extension Foundation, also a credible organization that conducts research, includes mineral ascorbates in their Life Extension Mix.
    4. Linus Pauling was of course a great, great scientist and yes, he was the recipient of two Nobel prizes (by the way, it should be noted that his second prize was not for science; rather it was the Nobel Peace Prize, received for his opposition to nuclear weapons). He was an acknowledged trailblazer on the subject of Vitamin C. A great deal of what we know was due to his efforts. However, Dr. Pauling has been dead for over eight years. The body of knowledge on Vitamin C did not close with his death. We may find over time that some of his theories about Vitamin C will even be discarded (e.g. he theorized Vitamin C could be used as an AIDS treatment, but that theory doesn't appear to be going anywhere). In any case, the body of knowledge will expand.
    5. Finally, I re-read windwords7 message that started this thread. There was nothing in his message that addressed using mega-doses of Vitamin C to specifically treat illness.

Thanks again for the article.

5. Originally posted by Jedi Master
    Im sorry but what exactly does selenium do? Does it act like an anti-oxidant? Please inform me.
    It complements Vitamin E and C in fighting free radicals (oxidants) that cause cellular damage.

And for windwords, the daily dosage is 200mcg.

6. You would have thought that Pauling useed higher doses than that??

7. Yes, he probably did for experiment purposes, but, i haven't found any information other than 200mcg for each serving per day

8. Benz have you found out any info on the Selenium yet?

9. YJ posted an article with this statement:

"Selenium 800 mcg ED

Selenium works closely with Vitamin E as an antioxidant. It helps fight premature aging and hardening of the tissues through oxidation. Selenium helps with the male reproductive system.

Note: Anything over 800 mcg/day is toxic!"

10. Then I found this article from the Linus Pauling Inst. that states the following:

"If one chooses to take selenium supplements to reduce the chance of contracting cancer, it is important that the maximum daily intake from all sources be less than 400 micrograms. Toxic effects of excessive selenium include hair loss, fatigue, immune impairment, weakened fingernails, and other problems. Since the trial conducted in the United States indicated that 200 micrograms per day was just as effective as 400 micrograms per day in preventing certain types of cancer; there is no compelling reason to take a daily amount of selenium greater than 200 micrograms."

That says it all! 200mcg for me!

Here is the link:

11. i was right, wo0t!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Vitamin C Pre-Workout?
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
  2. Danger of megadosing vitamin B5!!
    By Riquee in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 10:30 PM