Glutamine and muscle pumps

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Glutamine and muscle HYDRATION

On multiple occasions that I have began supplementing with Glutamine, I've had significantly improved muscle fullness for a few days. However after about 3 or 4 days, that fullness seems to dissipate. The pumps during workouts initially are incredible, but they seem to fade. I've been on and off Glutamine for a while and every time I start it up I get that improved blood volume, fullness feeling, but like clockwork, it just fades. Diet and hydration have all stayed consistent. I'm curious to hear if anyone else experienced anything like this

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How much glutamine were you taking? I've personally never noticed an increase in pump from glutamine, but everyone is different. Were you taking glutamine as a standalone product, or was it an ingredient in a product you're using?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
How much glutamine were you taking? I've personally never noticed an increase in pump from glutamine, but everyone is different. Were you taking glutamine as a standalone product, or was it an ingredient in a product you're using?

Standalone. ~20g

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have never experienced any different pumps while using glutamine. I take 10g morning and 10g post workout. The fullness could be just an increase in recovery and some extra water being into the muscle and increasing hydration

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I have never experienced any different pumps while using glutamine. I take 10g morning and 10g post workout. The fullness could be just an increase in recovery and some extra water being into the muscle and increasing hydration
Well, this is the 3rd or 4th time that I've brought Glutamine back in my supplement stack and I've witnessed this.

edit: Not to go off too much of a tangent, but I have noticed the same thing when I supplement Vitamin D3

twuncher

twuncher

Awards
Glutamine is involved with cellular swelling along with alanine and glycine.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Standalone. ~20g
I use glutamine but usually just throw 10g in my post workout shake. Do you dose 20g pre workout?

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I've not experiened any extra glutamine pump myself but seeing as it helps to pull extra water and glycogen into the muscles I can see how it could/would work. I suppose it depends on how glutamine sensitive you are, if that's even a thing.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to take 15g at a clip way back when and never got anything from it

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Well as I understand it, Glutamine helps to promote sodium absorption through the intestine. So perhaps the chronic high doses caused a large influx of Na+ and possibly threw other intra-cellular ions off?!?

I just find it interesting that on multiple occasions this has happened whenever I begin supplementing Glutamine and then vanishes after a few days

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No effect on increasing pump from glutamine ever...

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Let me start by saying I do take Glutamine. With that said I have never experienced much effects period. I grew up think Glutamine helped support muscle growth and recovery, but studies show Glutamine actually has little impacts on muscle growth. The only study that supports its recovery capabilities was with football players who were training and practice for prolong periods of time. It is proven to help with stomach function and the immune system I believe but the data on actual muscle recovery is inconclusive.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let me start by saying I do take Glutamine. With that said I have never experienced much effects period. I grew up think Glutamine helped support muscle growth and recovery, but studies show Glutamine actually has little impacts on muscle growth. The only study that supports its recovery capabilities was with football players who were training and practice for prolong periods of time. It is proven to help with stomach function and the immune system I believe but the data on actual muscle recovery is inconclusive.
Bingo!

Unless glutamine is paired with l-alanine (like in iFN Finish Line) it's basically useless for muscle repair, recovery, and performance.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Bingo!

Unless glutamine is paired with l-alanine (like in iFN Finish Line) it's basically useless for muscle repair, recovery, and performance.
I sometimes use glutamine in my intra for its modest hydration benefit. I also use the L-anayl-L-glutamine blend from MP. Before that I used to just add alanine to match my glutmine. But I never noticed an increased pump one way or the other from it.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
You the type of guy who gets crazy pump from arginine too huh
Arginine is useless. If you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread, take your trolling elsewhere. Thanks.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I sometimes use glutamine in my intra for its modest hydration benefit. I also use the L-anayl-L-glutamine blend from MP. Before that I used to just add alanine to match my glutmine. But I never noticed an increased pump one way or the other from it.
I think "hydration" is a more accurate term to describe it than "pump"

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Arginine is useless. If you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread, take your trolling elsewhere. Thanks.
It's not trolling. You refuse to acknowledge the fact that glutamine isn't physiologically responsible for inducing your pumps, and counter with things like "well it didn't for you." Like one human body is going to function completely different from another (barring pathology, etc).

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's not trolling. You refuse to acknowledge the fact that glutamine isn't physiologically responsible for inducing your pumps, and counter with things like "well it didn't for you." Like one human body is going to function completely different from another (barring pathology, etc).
The evidence provided so far has been purely anecdotal. I'm looking for something beyond "Oh it never worked for me". I wanted to look a little deeper into how Glutamine functions in the body to determine if supplementing with it could promote increased hydration levels. Now like I stated in another post, I think the word "pump" is a misnomer and "hydration" is a more accurate term to describe my experiences with glutamine. Let's say additional glutamine does not promote increased cellular hydration. What about a lack of glutamine? Say our bodies are overtrained/under recovered. What would be the effects of insufficient amounts of glutamine on cellular hydration?

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
For most of the others on this board too...
I am 49 and been training and supplementing following supplements since being a teenager. Never has anyone ever got a pump from Glutamine. I mean find me one other thread on any forum anywhere that has ever mentioned anyone getting a pump from Glutamine.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I am 49 and been training and supplementing following supplements since being a teenager. Never has anyone ever got a pump from Glutamine. I mean find me one other thread on any forum anywhere that has ever mentioned anyone getting a pump from Glutamine.
I was referring to hydration. I mentioned that in several posts previously

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Couldn't agree more!

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if perhaps glutamine enhances resting cellular hydration levels.