Hypothyroidism and supplements!

bb333

Awards
  • Established
For those suffering from hypothyroidism, what are the supplements to avoid?
and which can "help"?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have the same problem
I was told to stay away from pes shift
In for further answers

bb333

Awards
  • Established
GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Is any of you on meds? Im on levothyroxine and I dont avoid anything. Havent discuss it with doc if I should

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Hope you're not using a multi, or a meal heavy in calcium or iron near this.

Should be 4+ hours away

Supplement wise, L-carnitine and carnitine salts should be avoided

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15591013/

And do your utmost to dose at the same time daily
No heavy metals or calcium at all, either carnitine salts. But due too luck, not research.. 30mins after it I do take 2 Triads with oats and whey and yes every morning is the time, mostly for convenience purposes. Do I sound reckless?? Thanks for the reading!! It seems l-carnitine is a definite NO

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I wouldn't schedule my thyroid meds so close to Phytates, a multi, and a large calcium dose... if it were me (unsure of your whey, some pack over 50% RDA of calcium)

But if that has been consistent and your thyroid readings are in range you'll be fine

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't schedule my thyroid meds so close to Phytates, a multi, and a large calcium dose... if it were me (unsure of your whey, some pack over 50% RDA of calcium)

But if that has been consistent and your thyroid readings are in range you'll be fine
Sure, both levothyroxine and Triad intake is consistent since the stone age! and bloods are always as supposed to be, but you make me wanna experiment and probably will

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If bloods are good, you should be too

I am just being overly meticulous really

gigante35

gigante35

Awards
  • Established
In my case i have had use all supplementation and dosing over 300 mcg t4 because of hashimoto. L carnitine have had no impact on mine tsh levels on that those t4.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would discuss with a doctor before you take anything. There can always be something in a supplement that could effect your personal condition.

Alistair_

Awards
I would avoid KSM 66. I had a normal thyroid until I took it for a couple weeks. It made me feel really tired and tanked my sex drive so I quit taking it. Then I had symptoms of low thyroid for a couple of months so I finally went to the doctor to get tested for a full thyroid panel. My test came back a little low for T4. Doc said it wasn't serious enough to take thyroid medication for yet but he wants to monitor my thyroid levels to keep any eye out in case it gets worse.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been on levothyroxine (T4) for about 6 years now (and was prescribed T3 for a time, as well to use in conjunction). As Dylan said, avoid dosing near your meal and your multi. I take it first thing upon rising and don't eat for at least an hour. I take my multi with dinner. If you follow intermittent fasting, it makes it all that much easier (don't follow IF just for this, but if you do, then take your med at the peak of your fasting or at least where you get a good several hours away from food and such).

I haven't avoided anything, but my hypothyroidism (along with Hashimoto's) is secondary or tertiary, so I honestly don't care all that much. After years of dinking around with it and docs, I just take the T4 because it keeps it "in range" and the Rx is $4/month. Otherwise I'd just scrap it.

I'm not advising this to anyone else, btw; just letting you know my experience since it's not primary hypothyroidism.

Zariph

Awards
Why should one with hypothyroidism avoid calcium?

Also I thought KSM - 66 would help on thyroid?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been a long time since I've had to research, but IIRC, just has to do with absorption and it's only a concern of taking it near your levothyroxine (and not avoiding it completely).

Alistair_

Awards

Also I thought KSM - 66 would help on thyroid?
I've read reviews when people said KSM 66 helped their thyroid, however anytime hormones get messed with it's possible something could go wrong, such as my case. I've taken other supplements that are supposedly support thyroid function like forskolin and never had a problem before.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Calcium is avoided only near the medication dose, it can interfere with TSH/T4 you may be taking, as MWB said it is for medication absorption reasons

I wouldn't say KSM-66 hinders thyroid, I've been on and off it over a year now with no variation in bloodwork

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,
confirmed by the doctor "initial mild subclinical hypothyroidism" ...
I have a question!
What supplements should I be aware of?

I wanted to use in March of thermogenic, Ignit3 + evomuse of a product, which I still have to choose ...

What can you tell me about it?
Thanks to whoever helps me!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Read the above?

Any supplement with carnitine is out.

And the obligatory "consult/ask your physician"

If you have specific products in question maybe drop the ingredients here

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Carnitine is out, alpha-lipoic acid also.

Keep in mind that as you get leaner (which seems to be your goal) the body would likely compensate by making even less T4 and T3 and/or increasing reverse T3.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^Good point, also why you may actually want an endo over a GP in my experience too.

Or request more testing than TSH, which is all most will bother testing. T3 conversion can become quite low as you lean out, or rT3 increases as was said

bb333

Awards
  • Established
for 30 days I will have to take levothyroxine.
Then test and see if the TSH fell.
I do intermittent fasting, 16/8, so no problem.

In preworkout then I will avoid carnitine.

As a thermogenic, no stim, to be taken after a few hours of levothyroxine?
What do you recommend?
ignit3 is strong?

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
You could take levothyroxine under the tongue and not deal with timing of other things. You may not like the taste though. Ask your doctor if sublingual administration is ok.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
You could take levothyroxine under the tongue and not deal with timing of other things. You may not like the taste though. Ask your doctor if sublingual administration is ok.
They are soft capsules.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I do not understand English well, use the translator ... and not always guesses!
I did not like that there was sarcasm in you :D :D :D ;)

bb333

Awards
  • Established
ok ...
returning to the post ...
ignit3 I could take? or is it not recommended?
same thing for forskolin, yes or no?

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
ok ...
returning to the post ...
ignit3 I could take? or is it not recommended?
same thing for forskolin, yes or no?
Well, on all supplement labels it warns to consult with doctor if you have thyroid disease. So while we think it's ok to take both, a doctor may disagree.

My only input is that if you lose too much weight in that month, with or without supplements, TSH may not go down and doctor may not be confused with the results.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When it comes to something like that I would talk to your doctor. Thyroid issues can be tricky. Better to be safe then play games with it.

pbandy1

Awards
Hope you're not using a multi, or a meal heavy in calcium or iron near this.

Should be 4+ hours away

Supplement wise, L-carnitine and carnitine salts should be avoided

And do your utmost to dose at the same time daily
This recent study from 2016 actually showed that carnitine supplementation significantly improved PFS (physical fatigue score) and MFS (mental fatigue score) in patients younger than 50 years and those with free T3 ≥ 4.0 pg/mL compared with placebo.

L-carnitine supplementation for the management of fatigue in patients with hypothyroidism on levothyroxine treatment: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. (Endocrine Journal, 2016)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
This recent study from 2016 actually showed that carnitine supplementation significantly improved PFS (physical fatigue score) and MFS (mental fatigue score) in patients younger than 50 years and those with free T3 ≥ 4.0 pg/mL compared with placebo.

L-carnitine supplementation for the management of fatigue in patients with hypothyroidism on levothyroxine treatment: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. (Endocrine Journal, 2016)
Ok?

So one symptom of the still hypo-thyroid patient was alleviated?

But thyroid hormones could still dive as we've seen previously.

I wouldn't risk it personally, but ask your doc

pbandy1

Awards
Ok?

So one symptom of the still hypo-thyroid patient was alleviated?

But thyroid hormones could still dive as we've seen previously.

I wouldn't risk it personally, but ask your doc
Do you have any links showing that carnitine supplementation in hypothyroid patients produced negative results, such as lower free T3, etc? I'm not sure I've come across any but I would like to read them if available. Hyperthyroid patients can find relief from carnitine because hyperthyroidism depletes the body deposits of carnitine, but this does not mean it is automatically a negative for hypothyroid patients.

I will note that studies have shown that patients with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism BOTH have a decrease in muscle carnitine, possibly contributing to the thyroid myopathy conditions.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
When it comes to something like that I would talk to your doctor. Thyroid issues can be tricky. Better to be safe then play games with it.
Obviously, the first thing to do!
But you know what is the problem? that "doctors" do not know some supplements, and a priori always say "NO".

JakeAntaeus

JakeAntaeus

Awards
I actually had my thyroid removed a little while ago. I take those T4 tabs daily, with my coffee in the morning. I don't avoid any foods, drinks, or supplements, and I get my blood tested regularly -- so if anything were affecting my levels, I'd probably be able to pinpoint it. For whatever it's worth, my energy levels are as high as they've ever been, and, even though my thyroid hormone levels were normal prior to surgery, my body composition actually improved following the removal of my thyroid. (Not that it was bad to begin with!)

I don't think that you need to avoid any foods or supplements. But, yeah, if you're on T4, take it on an empty stomach, and don't take it alongside a multivitamin/mineral or anything like that.

The best advice I can give you would be to read "The Complete Thyroid Book" by Dr. Kenneth Ain. Dr. Ain is the world's most eminent thyroid expert, and the book is full of useful information and sensible tips. It's not a medical textbook, but it's fairly technical.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I actually had my thyroid removed a little while ago. I take those T4 tabs daily, with my coffee in the morning. I don't avoid any foods, drinks, or supplements, and I get my blood tested regularly -- so if anything were affecting my levels, I'd probably be able to pinpoint it. For whatever it's worth, my energy levels are as high as they've ever been, and, even though my thyroid hormone levels were normal prior to surgery, my body composition actually improved following the removal of my thyroid. (Not that it was bad to begin with!)

I don't think that you need to avoid any foods or supplements. But, yeah, if you're on T4, take it on an empty stomach, and don't take it alongside a multivitamin/mineral or anything like that.

The best advice I can give you would be to read "The Complete Thyroid Book" by Dr. Kenneth Ain. Dr. Ain is the world's most eminent thyroid expert, and the book is full of useful information and sensible tips. It's not a medical textbook, but it's fairly technical.
Thank you! :)
Tomorrow begins the treatment, levothyroxine. Let's see how he reacts to my thyroid.
The first thing I would immediately see, is the return of energy ... is from 3 months I feel "off", tired, sleepy, low libido, cold, deteriorated strength.
After 30 days I will examine the TSH, and I'll see or results.
I do intermittent fasting, so no problem.

However in a few weeks I wanted to use AMMO, or reduce xt ...
currently only this ... I think it should not interfere with the thyroid.

Thanks again for your testimony.

JakeAntaeus

JakeAntaeus

Awards
Thank you! :)
Tomorrow begins the treatment, levothyroxine. Let's see how he reacts to my thyroid.
The first thing I would immediately see, is the return of energy ... is from 3 months I feel "off", tired, sleepy, low libido, cold, deteriorated strength.
After 30 days I will examine the TSH, and I'll see or results.
I do intermittent fasting, so no problem.

However in a few weeks I wanted to use AMMO, or reduce xt ...
currently only this ... I think it should not interfere with the thyroid.

Thanks again for your testimony.
Yeah, you should be fine with those supplements. Out of an abundance of caution, I would suggest that you take your T4 first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and wait at least 45 minutes before eating a heavy meal or taking any supplements.

T4's easy enough. You'll probably feel like your old self within a couple of days, and then everything will be "business as usual" -- as long as you don't forget to take your meds! Even then, it's not that bad; T4 has a half-life of five days, so if you forget your morning dose, you can take it in the afternoon, or make up for it later in some other fashion. (i.e., if you're on 100mcg/day and forgot your dose, take 125mcg/day over the next four days, and you won't even notice the difference.)

I would suggest that you avoid T3 and glandular thyroid products. T3 is sub-optimal for HRT due to its short half-life -- it's not nearly as forgiving or as easy to take as T4. The glandular products suffer from excessive batch variation and inconsistency.

Oh, and keep your T4 tabs refrigerated if you can. Dr. Ain: "Although this is not common knowledge to pharmacists or doctors, T4 is very sensitive to heat. A good rule of thumb is to use the “chocolate bar” rule. If the temperature is warm enough to soften a milk chocolate bar, then it will cause the T4 pill to go bad fairly quickly. Although the pill will look OK, it will not work, providing far less T4 to you than a fresh pill would. I’ve had patients who kept their T4 pills on a shelf above the stove, insisting that they were taking their T4 pills, yet ending up severely hypothyroid with TSH levels greater than 50."

Anyway... I'm sure you're going to feel better than ever within a day or two. Best of luck with everything!

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you should be fine with those supplements. Out of an abundance of caution, I would suggest that you take your T4 first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and wait at least 45 minutes before eating a heavy meal or taking any supplements.

T4's easy enough. You'll probably feel like your old self within a couple of days, and then everything will be "business as usual" -- as long as you don't forget to take your meds! Even then, it's not that bad; T4 has a half-life of five days, so if you forget your morning dose, you can take it in the afternoon, or make up for it later in some other fashion. (i.e., if you're on 100mcg/day and forgot your dose, take 125mcg/day over the next four days, and you won't even notice the difference.)

I would suggest that you avoid T3 and glandular thyroid products. T3 is sub-optimal for HRT due to its short half-life -- it's not nearly as forgiving or as easy to take as T4. The glandular products suffer from excessive batch variation and inconsistency.

Oh, and keep your T4 tabs refrigerated if you can. Dr. Ain: "Although this is not common knowledge to pharmacists or doctors, T4 is very sensitive to heat. A good rule of thumb is to use the “chocolate bar” rule. If the temperature is warm enough to soften a milk chocolate bar, then it will cause the T4 pill to go bad fairly quickly. Although the pill will look OK, it will not work, providing far less T4 to you than a fresh pill would. I’ve had patients who kept their T4 pills on a shelf above the stove, insisting that they were taking their T4 pills, yet ending up severely hypothyroid with TSH levels greater than 50."

Anyway... I'm sure you're going to feel better than ever within a day or two. Best of luck with everything!
Perfect thanks!
Yes, I take 50mcg, first 4 days, then 25mcg, the last 3 days of the week.
All this for about 1 month ...
then I'll do the tests to see what is happening.
I for this first month only take AMMO, or reduce xt, away from the levothyroxine dose.
Let's see what happens, I will keep you updated.
I hope to return to take ignit3, which was great last year.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I figured I'd ask this here. I have relatively recent labs that show elevated TSH values, but it still falls within LabCorp's reference range. I have a friend who is an MD that lives in another state that reviewed my labs and said that she would classify it as sub clinical hypothyroidism. Obviously I can't get an RX from my primary because they're just working off of the set ranges from LabCorp. Would a supplement like PES shift be a good idea to try to see if I notice improvement in fatigue, brain fog, etc?

JakeAntaeus

JakeAntaeus

Awards
I figured I'd ask this here. I have relatively recent labs that show elevated TSH values, but it still falls within LabCorp's reference range. I have a friend who is an MD that lives in another state that reviewed my labs and said that she would classify it as sub clinical hypothyroidism. Obviously I can't get an RX from my primary because they're just working off of the set ranges from LabCorp. Would a supplement like PES shift be a good idea to try to see if I notice improvement in fatigue, brain fog, etc?
Well... Did you get your free T3/T4 levels checked? If not, that should be your next step.

I have nothing else to add, but it might be worth mentioning that the effects of mild hypothyroidism can be extremely subtle. I know that I was mildly hypo for a few weeks, while the docs were dialing-in my T4 dosage, and yet I felt totally normal the entire time.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
Have you checked iron levels? SSTM says that problems with iron storage and absorption can effect thyroid function.

If you are not familiar with their web siteI would check it out. Most of the issues and solutions mentioned in this thread are discussed in detail.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Well... Did you get your free T3/T4 levels checked? If not, that should be your next step.

I have nothing else to add, but it might be worth mentioning that the effects of mild hypothyroidism can be extremely subtle. I know that I was mildly hypo for a few weeks, while the docs were dialing-in my T4 dosage, and yet I felt totally normal the entire time.
I did and they were both on the lower end. Still within range, but lower

also my body temp is routinely around 97.2 degrees

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
What's your diet like as far as Iodine goes? Lots of fish, milk, iodized salt on everything? You know what I'd say: Add an extra 1-2mg of Iodine a week (Mon AM, Thur PM) on top of your Multi with it's 150mcg/day (which equals 1.05mg/week itself). Of course, 9x% of the board will say that any iodine that isn't in a multi - will basically kill your entire family - so YMMV. I mean, you're sub-clinical right now anyway - probably feeling pretty crappy. Oh no, Iodine!

Been there, done that - waking temps in the 95's and unable to break 96-97 by 2PM (Ovulation Thermometers are great for this).

***Note - I am not talking about walking around with a bottle of Lugols, sipping all day, like an $8 5% Nutrition Milk Jug. I get IOPlus tabs, quarter them in a pill cutter, and then cut those in half with a razor = ~1mg slivers. Some people *are* nuts, recommending 25-50mg of Iodine per day - I like the minimalist, safer approach.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
What's your diet like as far as Iodine goes? Lots of fish, milk, iodized salt on everything? You know what I'd say: Add an extra 1-2mg of Iodine a week (Mon AM, Thur PM) on top of your Multi with it's 150mcg/day (which equals 1.05mg/week itself). Of course, 9x% of the board will say that any iodine that isn't in a multi - will basically kill your entire family - so YMMV. I mean, you're sub-clinical right now anyway - probably feeling pretty crappy. Oh no, Iodine!

Been there, done that - waking temps in the 95's and unable to break 96-97 by 2PM (Ovulation Thermometers are great for this).

***Note - I am not talking about walking around with a bottle of Lugols, sipping all day, like an $8 5% Nutrition Milk Jug. I get IOPlus tabs, quarter them in a pill cutter, and then cut those in half with a razor = ~1mg slivers. Some people *are* nuts, recommending 25-50mg of Iodine per day - I like the minimalist, safer approach.
I'll be honest, I've been using sea salt mostly. I don't drink too much milk either. In attempts to get to the root cause of the fatigue and brain fog issues, I've removed dairy and gluten from my diet. Perhaps for the time being add iodized table salt to my foods and see how I feel?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'll be honest, I've been using sea salt mostly. I don't drink too much milk either. In attempts to get to the root cause of the fatigue and brain fog issues, I've removed dairy and gluten from my diet. Perhaps for the time being add iodized table salt to my foods and see how I feel?
You can try - but just using salt, if it works at all, would take foooooooooooooreveeeeeeeeeeer. And that's assuming you get fresh Morton's and go through a canister pretty quick - the Iodide undergoes sublimation:

http://chem-eng.utoronto.ca/~diosady/sltstblty.html

I use these after cutting them into 1mg chunks.

https://www.amazon.com/IOPlus-Pure-Horizon-Niacin-Free-Supplement/dp/B00EIMN9RM

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Okay I will give it a look. Thank for your help!
Just go slow and low - monitor temps with an Ovulation Thermometer (Waking and 2PM), and it will take months, so give it time. I would dump the non-iodized salt though - they make iodized sea salt (Morton's and Hain).