High liver enzymes?

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established
Random question here: are there any ingredients in my current stack that might cause my liver enzymes to be a bit high? Doctor just called me to inform me that they were high after having some blood tests done last week I'm just trying to determine if any of my current supplements may be the cause...

Universal Nutrition Univite
Ergonine
Or1gin
FD2
Nutrabio fish oil
Hypermax XT/Conqu3r Unleashed
Bunch of different proteins depending on the day

I haven't drank alcohol in almost 2 years and I did not eat or drink 12 hours prior to the blood draw. Any input much appreciated.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your numbers?

Did you take 2-3 days off training before drawing?

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established
I did not take time off from training as I wasn't originally planning on a book draw. I'll have my exact numbers tomorrow once they send me an activation code to the "patient portal". If I recall correctly my ALT was like a 70 and my AST was like a 44.

Last edited:
kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did not take time off from training as I wasn't originally planning on a book draw. I'll have my exact numbers tomorrow once they send me an activation code to the "patient portal". If I recall correctly my ALT was like a 70 and my AST was like a 44.
Those aren't bad at all and more than likely due to training. Surprised your doc is even worried with those numbers.

If you hadn't taken a few days off from training, then your enzyme numbers won't be accurate.

scump

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bayne is 100% correct.

It's quite normal to have some elevated levels with people who lift, especially if you lift hard, other levels can also be out too (CK, CRP, Cr Etc.).

What i normally say to people as Bayne pointed out, if you're really concerned, hydrate well and take a few days off training prior to having the bloods done, this will eliminate any transient shifts that will be experienced.

gigante35

gigante35

Awards
  • Established
It must be from lot of supplements you are using in the same time and they cause some liver toxicity.

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What are your numbers?

Did you take 2-3 days off training before drawing?
Bayne is 100% correct.

It's quite normal to have some elevated levels with people who lift, especially if you lift hard, other levels can also be out too (CK, CRP, Cr Etc.).

What i normally say to people as Bayne pointed out, if you're really concerned, hydrate well and take a few days off training prior to having the bloods done, this will eliminate any transient shifts that will be experienced.
All of the above is most likely the cause. Went through this same thing like 2 years ago with my old doctor (whom I determined after this was a moron and switched)

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right, vigorous exercise can increase liver enzymes...they can actually still be elevated a week after training. Did you tell your doctor that you exercise? It'd be irresponsible for me to suggest that exercise is *definitely* the cause, as it is possible for there to be another reason for elevated levels outside of exercise. However, exercise is a possible (and honestly likely) cause for elevated levels, since it increases them in healthy individuals.

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Great information in here guys (and these guys are absolutely correct). Supplements and training seem to really effect these levels. Also your diet can as well. Do some google searching on this and see if any of the foods you consume daily could be playing a role as well. And keep your water intake extremely high. Whatever your drinking daily now (in terms of water) I would definitely shoot for trying to double that or at least come close.

-Spaz

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Right, vigorous exercise can increase liver enzymes...they can actually still be elevated a week after training. Did you tell your doctor that you exercise?.
TFW you don't look like you lift and need to explicitly mention it to your MD.

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established
The appointments are tomorrow, yesterday was a rest day and I guess I'll take today off as well and lay off the supps until tomorrow afternoon to see what happens with the tests.

The reason for the visit in the first place is I have a small, what they're assuming is a gyno lump. I've never taken any real anabolics or PH's (they kept asking, understandably). So we're really not sure what is causing it at this moment. For the liver enzymes, exercise and lifting is the only logical answer at this point... which I did not know until yesterday. I don't drink anymore as I used to be a wild child back in my Marine and drilling rig days but I haven't had any abnormal numbers in the past or since my party days. I do drink at least a gallon of water a day and really don't eat much processed food.

Free test is 11.2 ng/dl
Total test is 351 ng/dl

Still waiting on the in depth estrogen numbers but the others I do have are FSH, lutenizing, Glucose and TSH. These are the preliminary tests ordered by regular MD before going to see the Endo who is the one wondering about my liver. I appreciate all the help, feedback and information. I'll update as soon as I know more.