Agmatine – More than a Pump Supplement

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agmatine – More than a Pump Supplement

Agmatine is a metabolite of L-Arginine that is derived via decarboxylation, which is essentially the removal of a carboxyl group. This neurotransmitter has become immensely popular in the sports supplement world as an ingredient included in pre-workouts. In many ways, Agmatine succeeds where Arginine fails. Through it’s ability to inhibit nitric oxide synthase, users of the ergogen will notice increase muscle pumps. We commonly see it dosed pre-workout only at 500 – 1000mg. That’s all good and fun, but Agmatine’s potential goes way beyond a pre-workout supplement for the bros. Although human data is limited, this ingredient has shown potential to aid in fat loss, nutrient partitioning, b-endorphin release, pain reduction, appetite and anti-depressive effects.

Effects

Fat Loss

You rarely hear Agmatine being touted as a fat loss supplement, however it very well may have a widespread impact on metabolic systems. In a 2014 study looking at the metabolic influence of Agmatine, researchers found that rats that were given 55-75
mg/kg/day of Agmatine in their drinking water experienced increase levels of cAMP (commonly elevated with forskolin as many know), activation of PPAR (lipid metabolism), increased fat oxidation and enhanced mitochondrial function. A group of rats that were fed a high fat diet experienced a ~15% reduction in body weight with Agmatine. These changes weren’t due to a change in diet, therefore Agmatine played a major role in influencing body weight. [1]

Selective Nutrient Partitioning

Many supplements are being touted as a nutrient paritioner. Nutrient partitioning is the idea that you can increase muscle tissue insulin sensitivity and "drive" nutrients into these cells vs. adipose tissue. By enhancing glucose uptake to muscles, we would assume we would see increased muscle mass and minimized fat gain. This is ideal for any goal, whether it is a hypocaloric or hypercaloric diet. Where nearly all of these supplements fail is that they are increasing glucose uptake to muscle AND adipose tissue. We want selective glucose uptake to muscle cells. Agmatine to the rescue?

B-endorphin release may assist in an increase in glucose uptake within skeletal muscle. Agmatine, via its potential effects on enhancing beta-endorphin secretion, may act as a selective nutrient partitioner. [2]

A lot of Agmatine’s effects are secondary to activation of the imidazoline receptors. One of these secondary effects is lowering blood glucose, thus why some may recommend Agmatine as a GDA. Because of this, some people enjoy Agmatine pre-bed. Not only are their potential anxiolytic effects, but also the potential for lower blood glucose levels pre-bed, which would cause inhibition of hypothalamic somatostatin release which in turn causes a better release of growth hormone pulses throughout the night. At the end of the day, increasing endogenous production of HgH via natural methods will most likely not yield positive body composition effects - not directly anyways.

Pain Perception

We finally have human data! A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial found that 1.3g to 3.56g of Agmatine daily was effective for “alleviating pain and improving quality of life in lumbar disc-associated radiculopathy”. [3] This, coupled with what we learned previously about Agmatine’s effect on B-endorphin release, show that Agmatine may have potential for pain relief. Note that its effects on pain relief are not well documented or that the effects are short lived. This could be due to the short serum half-life of 10 minutes. CNS half-life appears to be around 12 hours, however. [4]

Appetite

Neuropeptide Y is a neuropeptide that stimulates hunger. Neuropeptide Y and Alpha 2 adrenergic receptors have a relationship where if a2-adrenergic receptors are activated, neuropeptide Y increases. Agmatine has been shown to be a2-adrenergic receptor agonist and thus may cause an appetite increase. In a study conducted in 1996, it was found that Agmatine enhanced caloric intake in satiated rats but not hungry ones. [5] So in conclusion, if rats were full, Agmatine would allow them to consume more. It wasn’t making hungry rats hungrier.

Depression/Anxiety

A small pilot study showed 2-3g of Agmatine/day was able to induce remission of depression. That’s a powerful statement, so let’s delve into the details a bit. The three subjects were individuals who suffered from Major Depresssive Disorder, which was clinically assessed. Along with the 2-3g of Agmatine, they concomitantly ingested parachlorophenylalanine. Parachlorophenylalanine is used in humans and animals to study the effects of serotonin depletion. No other pharmaceutical drugs were ingested. The subjects reported remission of depression, which was not reversed by coningesting parachlorophenylalanine. This also suggests that Agmatine anti-depressive effects are not related to serotonin.

Dosing

There are many ways people have enjoyed dosing Agmatine. You of course have your pre-workout dosage, which typically ranges from 500mg - 1000mg. Some exceed this, but I've never found it necessary.

Prior to carbohydrate meals is another option. 500mg prior to carb-rich meals.

The most I've used in a day is 2g - never felt any need to exceed this. 1g before a carb heavy meal and 1g preworkout is something I've done before.

Some also like 500mg pre-bed.

[1] http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2014/02/12/jbc.M113.544726.full.pdf
[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19913596
[3] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20447305
[4] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15933157
[5] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8884952
[6] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25287313

K

Killcure666

Awards
Agmatine is a metabolite of L-Arginine that is derived via decarboxylation, which is essentially the removal of a carboxyl group. This neurotransmitter has become immensely popular in the sports supplement world as an ingredient included in pre-workouts. In many ways, Agmatine succeeds where Arginine fails. Through it’s ability to inhibit nitric oxide synthase, users of the ergogen will notice increase muscle pumps.

Why would you want to inhibit nitric oxide synthase? I'd imagine this is a typo. You're not going to get more NO and better pumps by inhibiting the enzyme that converts arginine into NO

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Why would you want to inhibit nitric oxide synthase? I'd imagine this is a typo. You're not going to get more NO and better pumps by inhibiting the enzyme that converts arginine into NO
Nitric oxide synthase is responsible for the breakdown of Nitric Oxide, therefore inhibiting it leads to the "pumps" many experience with Agmatine.

xtyler

xtyler

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agmatine is a metabolite of L-Arginine that is derived via decarboxylation, which is essentially the removal of a carboxyl group. This neurotransmitter has become immensely popular in the sports supplement world as an ingredient included in pre-workouts. In many ways, Agmatine succeeds where Arginine fails. Through it’s ability to inhibit nitric oxide synthase, users of the ergogen will notice increase muscle pumps.

Agmatine increases the level and expression of eNOS (Endothelial nitric oxide synthase, what we want) whereas inducible NOS (iNOS, what we do NOT want) is decreased.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nitric oxide synthase is responsible for the breakdown of Nitric Oxide, therefore inhibiting it leads to the "pumps" many experience with Agmatine.
Many including me:) I get great pumps and muscle fullness on agmatine. It usually makes me sweat more as well.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah the pump is almost an afterthought for me.....I get decent pumps at 1g but I've been taking it at night before bed for the selective nutrient portioning while I sleep

I know a lot of ppl take gda's before bed and agmatine gives me similar effects

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started taking agmatine years ago for the pump and vascularity and that has moved down the list due to the overall benefits I get from a mood perspective. It really levels me out and helps me stay asleep with good REM.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I started taking agmatine years ago for the pump and vascularity and that has moved down the list due to the overall benefits I get from a mood perspective. It really levels me out and helps me stay asleep with good REM.
I've played around with dosing over the years and I'm still not sure what I'd consider my favorite. Probably just pre-workout if I had to choose only one

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agmatine may be one of the most powerful supplements you can buy. It has a dramatic impact on really basic metabolic pathways that lead to changes in health outcomes - pain, depression, nood, sleep, dementia/alzheimers, neuroprotection from ischemic events, glucose metabolism, body composition, improved effectiveness of many drugs, etc. The list is endless with lots of scientific backing and research.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agmatine may be one of the most powerful supplements you can buy. It has a dramatic impact on really basic metabolic pathways that lead to changes in health outcomes - pain, depression, nood, sleep, dementia/alzheimers, neuroprotection from ischemic events, glucose metabolism, body composition, improved effectiveness of many drugs, etc. The list is endless with lots of scientific backing and research.
More human studies would be nice. It works via several mechanisms so seeing human studies exploring effects on body composition and such would be interesting

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I buy agmatine in bulk and have only ever noticed the obvious pump benefits. Certainly has never done anything for my mood, the rest..who knows..

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It has proven effective for lowering my BP 5-7 pts, which is very beneficial as I ride high normal, pre hyper.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
More human studies would be nice. It works via several mechanisms so seeing human studies exploring effects on body composition and such would be interesting
Yes - 100%. I think those are coming around though.

Z

Zariph

Awards
All this good stuff about agmatine, but does any1 know why it was banned in EU`?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
All this good stuff about agmatine, but does any1 know why it was banned in EU`?
I think it's classified as a novel food or something of the sorts.

I've been in the U.K. for the last year and haven't seen it anywhere

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sweet, always good to to see people spreading the good word on agmatine.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've used agmatine on and off for many years. More for the health benefits than for the pump. Never really got that much of a pump from it,.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've used agmatine on and off for many years. More for the health benefits than for the pump. Never really got that much of a pump from it,.
What sort of dosage? 500mg and above works well for me, but 1.5g was probably the most pronounced. I've only done that a few times, though. I'd prefer to split 2g throughout the day personally

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What sort of dosage? 500mg and above works well for me, but 1.5g was probably the most pronounced. I've only done that a few times, though. I'd prefer to split 2g throughout the day personally
I usually run about 1-2g a day.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I buy agmatine in bulk and have only ever noticed the obvious pump benefits. Certainly has never done anything for my mood, the rest..who knows..
I'm with you on this, I do get painful pump if I take over 500mg before working out and sometimes good sleep, but it's hit or miss. Not sure either by the mood and other stuff, but it's pretty cheap so why not ;)

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great article. Serious Nutrition Solutions sells Agmatine XT. Very cost effective!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your dosing scheme? How many mgs and what times do you dose it?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lets not turn an educational thread into a shill fest.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lets not turn an educational thread into a shill fest.
Shill fest? Oh oh! We have permaswole at chaos and pain! Has agmatine and puligns which is a super health powerhouse!

But in all seriousness. I absolutely love agmatine. I'm becoming more and more interested in the studies every day. Especially in alzhimers. And chronic nerve pain. I personally have a bicep plexus issue and it has helped tremendously

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When looking for a pump product, I always look for agmatine in the ingredient profile or look for it to be stackable with my favorite agmatine containing product

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm with you on this, I do get painful pump if I take over 500mg before working out and sometimes good sleep, but it's hit or miss. Not sure either by the mood and other stuff, but it's pretty cheap so why not ;)
The appetite portion was always interesting to me. It's something that's definitely not dramatic for myself, but notable

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When looking for a pump product, I always look for agmatine in the ingredient profile or look for it to be stackable with my favorite agmatine containing product
yeah agreed, if a company has a pump product, I always look for agmatine, however if it's the only ingredient, I'm usually not that excited

M

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
yeah agreed, if a company has a pump product, I always look for agmatine, however if it's the only ingredient, I'm usually not that excited
not to mention finding one that actually has a good dose of it! cant stand it when companies pixie dust it

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does that actually happen? I mean, effective dose is 500mg-1g, so companies are actually using less than that?

M

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
Does that actually happen? I mean, effective dose is 500mg-1g, so companies are actually using less than that?
agmatine is cheap when in bulk. but if a company is new or the co-packer isnt a reliable one either side can do things to make a extra dollar per bottle. have a small order of 15,000 bottles, instantly profits a extra 15k.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know HyperMax XT has 1000mg per serving. I know some products have less, but I enjoy a full gram per dose.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of my fav supplement

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not to mention finding one that actually has a good dose of it! cant stand it when companies pixie dust it
Yep...I look for 1g...500mg isn't that bad but along the lines I've seen some funky doses like 250mg in products...why even bother

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
agmatine is cheap when in bulk. but if a company is new or the co-packer isnt a reliable one either side can do things to make a extra dollar per bottle. have a small order of 15,000 bottles, instantly profits a extra 15k.
Yeah, new companies are less likely to have the economies of scale to order huge runs at a discounted price

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Finally got some of this to try other than in pre workouts. Those of you that notice sleep benefits from it, is that only when dosed right before bed? I'm trying to think of how I should space out my dosing. Are there any acute anxiolytic or mood boost effects?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been getting an increase in energy effect taking the Agmatine by itself it seems. I've been doing either 1g in the morning or pre workout and 1g at night a while before bed. It has definitely made it harder to fall asleep, but when I do I seem to stay asleep better. I wake up with a bit more energy.

My girlfriend has said the same thing, she takes longer to fall asleep, but when she does she is out. She has also been getting crazy dreams.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've been getting an increase in energy effect taking the Agmatine by itself it seems. I've been doing either 1g in the morning or pre workout and 1g at night a while before bed. It has definitely made it harder to fall asleep, but when I do I seem to stay asleep better. I wake up with a bit more energy.

My girlfriend has said the same thing, she takes longer to fall asleep, but when she does she is out. She has also been getting crazy dreams.
Agmatine really should not provide any additional energy, but hey everyone response differently.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
If it inhibits NO synthesis doesn't be that mean your boners will suffer? I want stuff that is only gonna help boners or at least not have any effect on them haha

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Agmatine really should not provide any additional energy, but hey everyone response differently.
I've seen one or two people say they get an increase in energy for about 30 minutes. Maybe energy is the wrong word. It's more of a motivated type feeling, maybe because of a decrease in stress and anxiety?

It could also be something completely unrelated. We both did slept bad last night though. Maybe I'll try 500mg at night instead and see how that goes. I've been taking it about 1-2 hours before actually getting in bed.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me, agmatine would not be anything I consider energizing. It has a very minor calming effect in the lower 500mg-1g range but will make me downright lazy in the 2-3g range. On nights my mind is a little anxious, I will take that and sleep very well and do thoroughly enjoy the dreams. Plus, I wake up with road maps all over my arms and legs.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it inhibits NO synthesis doesn't be that mean your boners will suffer? I want stuff that is only gonna help boners or at least not have any effect on them haha
Lasts for roughly 10 minutes.

Yohimbine hcl would be something to consider if you want help with your man dude.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

It's a hit or miss with me taking Agmatine before bed, sometimes I sleep great but sometimes I just tossing and turning the whole night...

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I started taking about 2g a day on Friday, and I have definitely felt like I have more energy. But, thinking about it more, it could be because of an increase in mood and decrease in anxiety causing it. Not just like I am getting energized after taking it like a stimulant. Of course since it was the weekend my sleep schedule was a little off. It will be easier to tell throughout this week since I will have a more regular schedule.

Z

Zariph

Awards
Doesnt agmatine has nutritionpartitioning effects? Maybe this will be the reason why?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I started taking about 2g a day on Friday, and I have definitely felt like I have more energy. But, thinking about it more, it could be because of an increase in mood and decrease in anxiety causing it. Not just like I am getting energized after taking it like a stimulant. Of course since it was the weekend my sleep schedule was a little off. It will be easier to tell throughout this week since I will have a more regular schedule.
How are you dosing it?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
About 1g upon waking and 1g about 1-2 hours before bed. I may get about 500mg mid day in a pre workout some days.
The scoop it came with is over 2g so I use a 1/2 teaspoon that comes out to about 1.2g so I don't go completely level.