Supplements & surgery

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Supplements & surgery

So I was diagnosed with hernia which needs surgery asap!

My question is do I have to stop and why, all supplements I'm currently taking 2 weeks prior to the operation? Most if not all do state this on the label.

I've just finished my second month of PCT. December was Trojan PCT/Clomid, January Kingsblood and I'm about to continue with Testify.

Other supps/staples are SU, EU, CU, Bloodshred War, Omega3, taurine, Bacopa, Now Keto7, Origin, Liv52, Septilin, BCAA, PeakO2.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Safe answer is "do what the doctor says."

That said, I had surgery over the summer and aside from anything that would have thinned blood, or things of that nature, I just stopped like a day or 2 before my surgery.

Not my advice, but what I did.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Supplements & surgery

IMO if your going into surgery it's best to stop your supplementation. You wouldn't want to be taking anything that could cause increased bleeding "thin blood" tachycardia, or increased kidney function. All could cause issues during surgery. There are just too many factors that could cause issues in the OR

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO if your going into surgery it's best to stop your supplementation. You wouldn't want to be taking anything that could cause increased bleeding "thin blood" tachycardia, or increased kidney function. All could cause issues during surgery. There are just too many factors that could cause issues in the OR
Exactly. Good post.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'll definitely follow doctor's instructions.

Post OP (3-4 days even week) should be fine to resume I guess assuming all is going well.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. I'd say just stop supp use until your surgery is over and all is cleared.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'll definitely follow doctor's instructions.

Post OP (3-4 days even week) should be fine to resume I guess assuming all is going well.
I would see how you're feeling a few days after the surgery. Depending on where the hernia is, its usually a pretty painful recovery for the first 1-2 weeks. If you're on pain meds, I would wait until restarting all of your supplementation.

Was the hernia from lifting?

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would see how you're feeling a few days after the surgery. Depending on where the hernia is, its usually a pretty painful recovery for the first 1-2 weeks. If you're on pain meds, I would wait until restarting all of your supplementation.

Was the hernia from lifting?
Must be cause he said I'm too young to have it, specificaly it's called inguinal.

I do remember pushing myself to get back on track in 2015 after recovering from a broken 5th metatarsus in left foot.

At that time wasn't feeling much pain wise, but lately after having a cold and coughing hard I was getting alot of pain. I can't sneeze, cough, laugh loud without first pressing that area so that it doesn't swell.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doc said a month out is guaranteed which sucks but there's no other way... The muscle is fully torn.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Must be cause he said I'm too young to have it, specificaly it's called inguinal.

I do remember pushing myself to get back on track in 2015 after recovering from a broken 5th metatarsus in left foot.

At that time wasn't feeling much pain wise, but lately after having a cold and coughing hard I was getting alot of pain. I can't sneeze, cough, laugh loud without first pressing that area so that it doesn't swell.
How old are you? One of my best friends just finished recovery from an inguinal hernia, he's 27. If you don't already, I would look into getting a high quality lifting belt and focus on core strength after recovery.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How old are you? One of my best friends just finished recovery from an inguinal hernia, he's 27. If you don't already, I would look into getting a high quality lifting belt and focus on core strength after recovery.
Soon will be 36

I've never used a belt but will look into it.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Soon will be 36

I've never used a belt but will look into it.
Neither did my friend. If you're lifting heavy, a good belt will really help to keep your core tight and allow you to control your midsection better during the lift. You only need a belt for squats and deads, but it can make a big difference

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
They'll give you a list of medications and things to stop taking 24 hours before surgery. Then after that do whatever you want lol obviously if you aren't lifting post op there's no need for some of them, but I immediately starting pinning BPC 2-3 inches around my incisions after shoulder surgery and taking any supplements I was at the time.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks All for your feedback! This time will take it easy

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How long did your buddy stayed out of training?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How long did your buddy stayed out of training?
He was out of the gym for 4 weeks. He went back much sooner than the doctor recommended, but took it slow and he recovered quickly

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha exactly what I thought, makes sense! Thanks again.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
In ten years, not supplementing for a very short period won't make a difference, but this surgery if not done by the book could halt your gains and cause other aggravated injuries - like nothing else. Don't be in a hurry to recover from this either - its serious surgery and the foundation for a lifetime of fun in the gym.

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...focus on core strength after recovery.
Hi again, currently recovering from the operation till the end of the month when I'm supposed to go back to gym.

At the moment I'm doing only walking & standing calf raises.

Yesterday did some light tri & chest workout at home which felt really nice as I haven't been to the gym since the 20th of Feb.

What kind of core strength exercises would you recommend?

Used to do hanging leg raises, russian twists, plank & scissors.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Hi again, currently recovering from the operation till the end of the month when I'm supposed to go back to gym.

At the moment I'm doing only walking & standing calf raises.

Yesterday did some light tri & chest workout at home which felt really nice as I haven't been to the gym since the 20th of Feb.

What kind of core strength exercises would you recommend?

Used to do hanging leg raises, russian twists, plank & scissors.
Glad recovery is going well! I definitely woudln't suggest any intense core movements. Definitely stay away from hanging leg raises and anything too intense for a while. For recovering from surgery, I would suggest sticking with ab machines with light weight, planks, and bodyweight crunches/sit-ups - nothing too intense. You want to begin to strengthen your core, but you don't want to push yourself too hard.

Start small with little or no weight, and focus on the contraction and make sure you're being smart about it. Over-doing core work while recovering from surgery could set you back if done too intensely.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is where I would say is the biggest I concern. Play it safe for surgery.