10 mg melatonin good or bad??

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
Hey guys I've been taking melatonin on and off for a few months now, 5 mg was the recomended does and this stuff was strong but not anymore and iam having trouble sleeping again so iam wondering if posing 2 of these bad boys would be harmful in any way???

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I typically see 3mg doses and I thought I heard 5mg is the recommended max so I wouldn't go more than 5 if I were you. Have you tried any other sleep aid products?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin is sold in 10mg dosage, so acutely, I don't see this being a problem. That said, I wouldn't rely on a substance to help fall asleep UNLESS you have already covered the other bases, i.e. No caffeine 6-8 hours before bed, not staring at a bright phone/TV screen while falling asleep, not exercising within 1-2 hours before bed, not drinking alcohol within 1 hour before bed (if its a habitual thing), and of course other stress related things that can keep you up like not being prepared for the next day (gas, food, clothes, work, time, etc.)

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
I feel like anything over 1mg gives me sleep hangovers.

If you stop taking it, be prepared for a little comedown and irritability.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Yea I noticed that 5mg gave me CRAZY dreams, and after a few trial and errors I realized it was the melatonin....looked for research about bad dreams on it and read lots of people testimonials saying the same thing. I cut down to 1.5mg and found that to work great....irrelevant, but point being, experiment with what works best for you

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
1/3 tab doxylamine under the tongue great sleep no hangover I use it no more than twice a week

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys I've been taking melatonin on and off for a few months now, 5 mg was the recomended does and this stuff was strong but not anymore and iam having trouble sleeping again so iam wondering if posing 2 of these bad boys would be harmful in any way???
You might have messed up you own melatonin production. How often did you take it?
Doses below 1mg are recommended to keep your melatonin production.
Maybe mix lower dose melatonin (start slowly lowering the dose) but mix in natural relaxing herbs like valerian or hops. Theanine and gaba work too.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When i last looked in to (studied) melatonin i found that 1mg was the optimal dose, 3mg being to top end for consistent usage.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When i last looked in to (studied) melatonin i found that 1mg was the optimal dose, 3mg being to top end for consistent usage.
Actually, optimal is more like 0,5mg.