do pre-work out ingredients degrade if sitting in water to long?

ScourgeOfGod

ScourgeOfGod

Awards
Hi! Im new here.

I make my own simple pre-work out drink. before bed, I cold brew a bag of tea with BCAAs and Citruline M in a cup, and set it on my alarm.

when my alarm goes off, i drink the mixture and I hit the gym.

If the Citruline M and BCAA are sitting dissolved in water for about 8 hrs overnight... does anyone know if the CM and BCAA degrade in anyway... - to not be absorbed as good as it would be if freshly mixed? I don't want to waste a product...

It should be all good right?

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
It's an interesting question actually, if you're unsure about it why dont you just leave the content there and add the water right before the use.
I dont think a few minutes wait is gonna screw up your schedule.
I was doing the same with bcaa alone few yrs ago.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it should make much of a difference, but it might be smarter to add in the BCAA's and CM in the morning as Monte_Cristo suggested. I could be completely wrong, but I feel that any powder ingredients sitting in water for that long isn't optimal. I would brew the tea and keep the powdered ingredients separate, and add them in when you wake up

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ Agreed with the above. I don't think it would be a huge issue sitting in water for a long period of time but I'm sure there's a way you can mix it up right before use which is the ideal way.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
How about protein powders, how long are they good for after being mixed?
Would the quality or bioavailability degrade/reduce if left for too long?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein powder doesn't degrade I'm sure.

I wouldn't want to mix up a shake and drink it past a day or two though. Doesn't taste the same.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would not touch protein powder after mixed with water after 48 hours some say 24.

Some ingredients do lose potency after a few hours. I know many who mix night before which I assume is fine The Solution

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The sooner the better IMO. If you mix a shake before your workout and drink it after you're done training that's fine. But I wouldn't let it sit out in water over night. If you can toss it in the fridge if its going to be sitting for a long time

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would not touch protein powder after mixed with water after 48 hours some say 24.

Some ingredients do lose potency after a few hours. I know many who mix night before which I assume is fine The Solution
Correct
Directly From Layne on another site

"well i don't know the answer but it would have to be a long ass time. really the only thing you can do to a bcaa is transaminate it then decarboxylate it, and in water with stable ph & temperature I don't see that happening."

This is why I mix my BCAA beverage the night before. I wake up and directly go to the gym.

The only thing I would be cautious about is Stability and Creatine. Another reason why Cellucor dropped the Creatine Nitrate in their C4 RTD due to water stability and replaced it with an arginine nitrate.

"Creatine in aqueous solution is reasonably stable for up to 8h at 25°C, pH 7.5 or 6.5. Breakdown
after 3 days at pH 5.5, 4.5 and 3.5 was 4%, 12% and 21% respectively.
If Creatine is not used immediately after it is dissolved in water it should be stored at a low
temperature to slow down the degradation. The solubility of Creatine Monohydrate is 14 g per liter
at 25°C (1.4%) and 8.5 g at 4°C."

"The speed of degradation is for creatine:
· not depending on the concentration
· depending on the pH (the lower the pH the faster the degradation)
· depending on the temperature (the higher the temperature the faster the degradation)"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12916907
or google "Stability of Creatine in aqueous solution"
its the first link.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I was just thinking along the lines of an hour or so, I can't think of any reason to let one sit longer than that.
Thanks for all of your replies though.

What about using whey protein in cooking? I've seen lots of recipes using protein powder, but wouldnt the heat during the baking process degrade the whey?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was just thinking along the lines of an hour or so, I can't think of any reason to let one sit longer than that.
Thanks for all of your replies though.

What about using whey protein in cooking? I've seen lots of recipes using protein powder, but wouldnt the heat during the baking process degrade the whey?
No. Perfectly fine to bake with protein powders.
Layne covered this in an old V-Log

[video=youtube;mjmV8BlsJTQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ[/video]

or else Driven2lift probably lost all of this gains from all of his PES Recipes haha