CAUTION TO MELATONIN!

bb333

Awards
  • Established
"CAUTION TO MELATONIN!

Melatonin, used to treat insomnia, very negatively affects the human sexuality. Melatonin decreases - from the hypothalamus - the release of GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) which induces the release of gonadotropins (FSH and LH) by the anterior pituitary, which is why decreases the synthesis of testosterone and thus libido. More precisely, it inhibits the secretion of LH (luteinizing hormone) which stimulates the male endocrine activity of the interstitial cells of the testis with the production of testosterone and sperm. Stop taking melatonin, or at least limit your intake to 1mg / day dose."

what do you think of this statement?

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never heard it doing that before, I use it for 4 weeks at a time 3mg day and never had any libido issues

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
"CAUTION TO MELATONIN!

Melatonin, used to treat insomnia, very negatively affects the human sexuality. Melatonin decreases - from the hypothalamus - the release of GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) which induces the release of gonadotropins (FSH and LH) by the anterior pituitary, which is why decreases the synthesis of testosterone and thus libido. More precisely, it inhibits the secretion of LH (luteinizing hormone) which stimulates the male endocrine activity of the interstitial cells of the testis with the production of testosterone and sperm. Stop taking melatonin, or at least limit your intake to 1mg / day dose."

what do you think of this statement?
If that was the case my wife would make me take even more.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
"CAUTION TO MELATONIN!

What do you think of this statement?
I think it's BS without a source. Why is it, lately, that all this doomsday Melatonin talk comes with un-sourced quotes? The only thing you can't link to on here, is stuff that could take sales away from board sponsors - not information. Post the source.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
La sorgente è in italiano ... Aspettare, è il giorno italiano e nessuno mi ha detto?

Your source is in Italian ... Wait, is it italian day and nobody told me?

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
strangely enough if I take above 3mg makes me feel like I gotta pee all night long. so no sleep.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Never heard this before but with any sleep aid, it is important to cycle whether it is on/off during the week or something along these lines

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
I remember reading somewhere that melatonin is the most overdosed supplement out there, and that .6mg is usually sufficient.

S.Dedication

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin makes it very hard for me to wake up, so I definitely try never to use it. I do keep it around just in case, thanks for the information:)

bb333

Awards
  • Established
To me melatonin by agitation, post bed, 3 mg or 5 mg, equal

scump

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it's BS without a source. Why is it, lately, that all this doomsday Melatonin talk comes with un-sourced quotes? The only thing you can't link to on here, is stuff that could take sales away from board sponsors - not information. Post the source.
Haha i know right.

My melatonin knowledge is based from clinical trials with large sample sizes and good parameters, yet i see studies done on rats and hamsters and **** ignoring the thousands of humans we have studied effects on.

Such pathetic bro-science where someone ignores a study done on 600 people to focus on a study done on 12 people that supports their hypothesis.

sespress

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that melatonin is the most overdosed supplement out there, and that .6mg is usually sufficient.
I have heard the same thing from a nutritionist , she did if your going over 1mg you need like... Ambien or something else. Try a benadryl I think was her advice to some guy who took like 5-10mg a night.

sespress

Awards
At least the stuff works better than dsip. Anyone tried that? I dunno it even did anything.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Well this seems concerning
What? That we have a Circadian Rhythm for things like Testosterone, Melatonin, Cortisol, etc...? It's produced naturally in the Pineal Gland, Teenagers have a crap ton of it, and they also have the highest libido and testosterone levels of any age group. If Edison never invented the Light-bulb, LCD TV, and iPhone - we probably wouldn't have a use for Melatonin... since we'd all fall asleep when the sun went down. But nowadays, with all this Blue Light, it comes in handy.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Guess it's time for me to take a break from Melatonin usage

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Haha i know right.

My melatonin knowledge is based from clinical trials with large sample sizes and good parameters, yet i see studies done on rats and hamsters and **** ignoring the thousands of humans we have studied effects on.

Such pathetic bro-science where someone ignores a study done on 600 people to focus on a study done on 12 people that supports their hypothesis.
I haven't read the study, but just because one was done on 600 and another on 12 just not mean that you just ignore it.

12 people can be more tightly controlled, so less external influencing factors.

The methodology might have duffered between the trials, meaning they could better assess the outcome of one aspect over another.

They might hsve measured outcomes in different ways, or measured different outcomes entirely.

Length if study matters as well.

Ill see if I can read it

scump

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't read the study, but just because one was done on 600 and another on 12 just not mean that you just ignore it.

12 people can be more tightly controlled, so less external influencing factors.

The methodology might have duffered between the trials, meaning they could better assess the outcome of one aspect over another.

They might hsve measured outcomes in different ways, or measured different outcomes entirely.

Length if study matters as well.

Ill see if I can read it
nice of you to nit pick whilst ignoring the whole point of my post.

My reference was to the bro-science you see (having to repeat myself maybe it will get through) where people are selective in finding poor studies with poor parameters using a putrid design, but because it specially supports their hypothesis they quote it like its fact.

I have a lot of experience in reading and referencing articles and studies so no need for the lecture thanks.

Also for the record the studies on melatonin i was referring to are clinical trials that were used to seek government approval (which i also mentioned above).

Now if you have no experience with clinical trials I could see why this could be confusing, but hey everyone is a doctor now days with google anyway and will make their own decisions based on 2 hours of an internet search whilst ignoring every professional around them.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
nice of you to nit pick whilst ignoring the whole point of my post.

My reference was to the bro-science you see (having to repeat myself maybe it will get through) where people are selective in finding poor studies with poor parameters using a putrid design, but because it specially supports their hypothesis they quote it like its fact.

I have a lot of experience in reading and referencing articles and studies so no need for the lecture thanks.

Also for the record the studies on melatonin i was referring to are clinical trials that were used to seek government approval (which i also mentioned above).

Now if you have no experience with clinical trials I could see why this could be confusing, but hey everyone is a doctor now days with google anyway and will make their own decisions based on 2 hours of an internet search whilst ignoring every professional around them.
LOL.

The passive aggressive is strong in this one. Bad day? It'll be OK bro, just breathe. Tomorrow's a new day.

You'll now be dr. Scump, lord of the studies, seeing as you are clearly the only one here qualified enough to contribute. Perhaps we petition to rename the forum in your honor?

Even though you failed to actually used a valid reply in amongst your red herring, I'll leave you to save the internet and the world of studies.