To add bcaa to pump providing supplements? yay or nay?

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
Wondering what is your opinion about it, I'll begin tomorrow to get a pump inducing compound (vasomax) 45 min before lifting, wondering if getting some bcaa within those 45 min could be a bad idea in terms of absorption.

I was used to get one of my doses of multivit with my preworkout too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you eat a meal pre workout, I don't see the point. BCAA are great when training fasted or in between meals 4-6 hours apart.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Dieselade by get diesel nutrition is my go to . I have mixed it with nos ether by get diesel as well . From my experience BCAA are great when life is busy and there isn't extra time to stop for food or cook something.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
I usually have lunch a 1, hit the gym at 5.30 while getting pre workout at 5.

Lunch is usually 100gr carbs, 200gr meat and a fruit, do you believe I dont need the bcaa before working out and can just take vasomax?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
If you haven't had a meal 4:30 hours before training, BCAAs would benefit you.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Lunch is usually 100gr carbs, 200gr meat and a fruit, do you believe I dont need the bcaa before working out and can just take vasomax?
In that case, I would use them pre workout or intra. You can combine with Vasomax.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wondering what is your opinion about it, I'll begin tomorrow to get a pump inducing compound (vasomax) 45 min before lifting, wondering if getting some bcaa within those 45 min could be a bad idea in terms of absorption.

I was used to get one of my doses of multivit with my preworkout too.
Bad for absorption? I don't get it. Do you think ingesting a bunch of amino acids will confuse the body? It won't know what to do? lol

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
He may not be as well versed in supps as others on the board. It is a legitimate question for the uninformed. That is why we are here.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
In that case, I would use them pre workout or intra. You can combine with Vasomax.
Ok thanks guess will do the same 30 min before lifting.

Bad for absorption? I don't get it. Do you think ingesting a bunch of amino acids will confuse the body? It won't know what to do? lol
Im not a biologist or a doctor, just like calcium have to be taken separately from zinc I wanted to be sure there was no interference...dont like to waste money and gainz ;))

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're diet is good then there's not reason to throw the bcaas in there unless you are doing it before fasted cardio. I sometimes will add a bcaa in because I buy a lot of individual ingredients with no flavor and want some extra aminos and flavor.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
You can, I have from time to time, mostly because it gives it another flavor and taste. I only use BCAA's as my intra, I know most people will say it's a waste if I am eating enough. BUT I think it's a good placebo effect plus I feel like my recovery is better but that's just my personal preference

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In the end it can't hurt to add them in. I use Bcaa between meals depending on the day and my work schedule.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Most people have better results coming OFF bcaa's then taking them regularly.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most people have better results coming OFF bcaa's then taking them regularly.
What? BCAAs may not always be useful or worth the money, but I don't see how the majority of people would notice worse results by taking BCAAs pre, intra, or post workout, all other valuables constant.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
Every time I stop using BCAAs, I notice my recovery going down. It's pretty much a staple for me at this point, especially when I sip on them during fasted cardio.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I find them highly, highly useful if you train fasted like I do. Otherwise, my body would be catabolizing itself during my time in the gym.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lately I started taking EAAs + extra leucine and gatorade powder intra-workout (or pre-workout if I haven't eaten in a while). I like it.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established

I have the same schedule and like taking carbs over anything else. I get my "recovery" from HMB so hitting my numbers remains priority number one and carbs come first.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Most people start at 10g. Then bro science kicks in and it becomes a crutch. Most trainers I know pull BCAA's 4 weeks out from shows because of subtle sides. Just my $.02

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most people start at 10g. Then bro science kicks in and it becomes a crutch. Most trainers I know pull BCAA's 4 weeks out from shows because of subtle sides. Just my $.02
What do you mean "becomes a crutch?" Do you mean they neglect proper peri-workout nutrition in favor of BCAAs? That wouldn't actually mean that the BCAAs are in any way detrimental or that you'd make better progress without them, only that proper nutrition is more important than BCAAs, but that should be a given. Your post confuses me.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Instead of strategic 10g here and there, it becomes 60g all day instead of natural sources. There is not substantual science to back back BCAA's being a superior way of injesting protein to regular meals. If youre after a pump, just focus on the pump and refuel on food after.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
I also apologize for resting on assumptions of you having studied the efficacy of BCAA and the evolution of them over the last 25 years. When I started using them, I myself thought they were magic pills. Then there is the placebo effect... 25 years of head scratching...lol

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anyone is suggesting consuming BCAAs all day instead of food, though......

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think anyone is suggesting consuming BCAAs all day instead of food, though......
You beat me to it as I was typing the following:
Instead of strategic 10g here and there, it becomes 60g all day instead of natural sources. There is not substantual science to back back BCAA's being a superior way of injesting protein to regular meals. If youre after a pump, just focus on the pump and refuel on food after.
That's not what I was talking about, or what the OP was asking about, so it's completely superfluous to this discussion. No one here is suggesting talking about using BCAAs as a replacement for quality whole food and protein, only questioning if there is any benefit to be had from SUPPLEMENTING with BCAAs pre-workout, supplementing meaning as an addition to, not in place of, whole foods. Even if you don't think BCAAs taken peri-workout (ALL OTHER VARIABLES HELD CONSTANT, meaning diet is otherwise the same, so BCAAs are NOT REPLACING REAL FOOD) will provide any benefits, I fail to see how they could be detrimental to the vast majority of users, or how better progress would be made without them (if anything, progress should be either better, if they work, or the same, if they do not).
I also apologize for resting on assumptions of you having studied the efficacy of BCAA and the evolution of them over the last 25 years. When I started using them, I myself thought they were magic pills. Then there is the placebo effect... 25 years of head scratching...lol
Yes, because I've never studied BCAAs at all. Thank the Supplement Gods that you are here to teach me the error of my ways and enlighten me.

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can throw in some bcaas if you want but are you training in a fasted state?

jesus_sanchez

Awards
I apologize if I came off disrespectful. I wasn't trying to be. It's hard to word sincerity in a way that doesn't come off condescending. I'm also here to learn.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Great question! Once again, when people go Keto, they have to drop BCAAs because even though it's Callery free, it keeps or prevents the body from using fat as a fuel.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Great question! Once again, when people go Keto, they have to drop BCAAs because even though it's Callery free, it keeps or prevents the body from using fat as a fuel.
BCAA are not calorie-free, that's an FDA thing about free-form aminos on labels. They have 5-6 calories per gram.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trainers pulling BCAAs a month out from shows is broscience though. What is even the reasoning behind that and what kind of sides are you referring to?

This is besides the point though. OP isn't asking if he should replace his meals with protein (which is an obvious no-no). He's asking if he can add BCAA to his preworkout. Regardless of whether or not that would benefit him, the answer to which requires more information about his diet (though I'd say yes based on the fact that he hasn't eaten for 4.5 hours by the time he begins working out, though obviously we know nothing about the rest of his periworkout nutrition), he's not replacing his meals with BCAAs.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lmao. i remember when trolling was a respectable job. now we have this. pathetic.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Every time I stop using BCAAs, I notice my recovery going down. It's pretty much a staple for me at this point, especially when I sip on them during fasted cardio.
Why would you sip on BCAA's when doing an activity which has a sole purpose of expending calories? 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

irishiron300

irishiron300

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why would you sip on BCAA's when doing an activity which has a sole purpose of expending calories? 2 steps forward and 1 step back.
I can't find any studies right now that aren't broscience but including them would be for their muscle sparring properties. Def share any studies that contradict the above

jesus_sanchez

Awards
I'm changing my answer to "Yes, get you some BCAA's! They are the bomb!".

jesus_sanchez

Awards
Sorry about that. I have changed my answer to be less pathetic. Cheers!

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can't find any studies right now that aren't broscience but including them would be for their muscle sparring properties. Def share any studies that contradict the above
In 2017 if people still believe that bs about muscle catabolism, then I can't even lol

irishiron300

irishiron300

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In 2017 if people still believe that bs about muscle catabolism, then I can't even lol
No need to be condescending...we're all here to learn. I have an open mind, if you have research that supports your claim then share.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Quite frankly, I don't have a lot of extra time to sift through studies and stuff. So if there is information that contradicts my beliefs, I would like to read it. Several people on the board have had success training fasted with BCAAs as their source around workout time. One of them is a competitive bodybuilder. If there is better information out there, I would love to see it. In the end, I am just trying to maximize my abilities and my time inconvenience. Appreciate the help.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No need to be condescending...we're all here to learn. I have an open mind, if you have research that supports your claim then share.
Im sorry i didn't mean to come across condescending, this fear of muscle loss when lifting/doing cardio was pushed hard by Supp companies years ago and and has some what died off in recent times. What kind of study are you interested in reading?, since it is such a broad broad area and I don't think i have come across one which directly compares loss of lean tissue from cardio between BCAA drinkers and non drinkers.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Im sorry i didn't mean to come across condescending, this fear of muscle loss when lifting/doing cardio was pushed hard by Supp companies years ago and and has some what died off in recent times. What kind of study are you interested in reading?, since it is such a broad broad area and I don't think i have come across one which directly compares loss of lean tissue from cardio between BCAA drinkers and non drinkers.
So are you referencing cardio-only training then?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So are you referencing cardio-only training then?
Yeah read my original response to that guys who takes advice from jacked potatoes post. Soo counter intuitive consuming 6 calories per gram BCAA's when your sole purpose of being a hamster on a tread mill or what ever you do is to burn calories.

jesus_sanchez

Awards
A lot of this is alchemy. Sure Rich Piana has his All Day You May, which has enzymes that help absorb protein. But Dave Pulombo (who finished medical school and teaches nutrition) says constantly injecsting BCAA's will make it hard to absorb other sources. Jerry Ward tells me okay to use when bulking, but diet time take them out and focus on using Fat as an energy. Find a School of Bro Science you like, and stay in that lane until the wheels fall off. (e.g., I was a vegan athlete for 2 years and believed protein from vegetables would ansorb just like from animal source....I was so wrong...wheels fell off). Sincerely Yours, Pathetic.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Yeah read my original response to that guys who takes advice from jacked potatoes post. Soo counter intuitive consuming 6 calories per gram BCAA's when your sole purpose of being a hamster on a tread mill or what ever you do is to burn calories.
Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I enjoy training fasted on BCAAs and EAAs...haha plus I have to out of necessity.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
So consuming any protein at all when you are cutting is a bad idea?

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did you get that from this thread...? Of course not, you still want to keep protein high while cutting to help retain muscle. All NoAddedHmones meant was that there's little point in deliberately doing your cardio fasted when you're drinking something with caloric value to it. Cardio isn't something you do to build muscle; it's sole purpose is burning calories, and now you're drinking calories while you're doing it. BCAAs are approximately 6kcal/gram, it's not like they're calorie-free.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You need protein period. I'm not sure if you're talking about pre and/or intra workout protein consumption during a cutting phase and or fasting, but of course you need to eat protein when you're cutting sometime in the day.