Ursolic Acid

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I've been looking at Hydrahead 6 to go with my cut this year and hold as much muscle as possible while I can't do any presses during my impingement physical therapy. But, regarding ursolic Acid, check out this info on examine:

"10.1. Angiogenesis

Ursolic acid (as well as related compounds maslinic acid and oleanolic acid[59]) is known as an angiogenesis inhibitor, preventing the formation of new blood vessels from larger ones. In blood vessel cells, ursolic acid seems to act via inhibiting the PI3K-Akt pathway and Nitric Oxide induction, which suppresses cellular changes preceding angiogenesis.[59][60] These results have been seen in vivo with nontoxic dosages of ursolic acid, and ursolic acid also inhibits expression of MMP2 and MMP9 (intermediates required for the final stages of angiogenesis into new tissue)[61]

This inhibition of vascularization is currently under investigation for its anti-cancer therapeutic potential, as new tumor cells require blood flow and need angiogenesis to occur for them to survive.[62] The previous study that tested rats with ursolic acid noted that the experimental group having ursolic acid at 4.25mcg/kg (50umol/kg) for 5 days had 42.03% as much vascularization in melanoma tumors as control (untreated)."

Isn't vascularization in building muscle a good thing? Is this only in regard to tumor cells? How would we know? And inhibiting nitric oxide induction doesn't sound good either. Any thoughts?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
So I've been looking at Hydrahead 6 to go with my cut this year and hold as much muscle as possible while I can't do any presses during my impingement physical therapy. But, regarding ursolic Acid, check out this info on examine:

"10.1. Angiogenesis

Ursolic acid (as well as related compounds maslinic acid and oleanolic acid[59]) is known as an angiogenesis inhibitor, preventing the formation of new blood vessels from larger ones. In blood vessel cells, ursolic acid seems to act via inhibiting the PI3K-Akt pathway and Nitric Oxide induction, which suppresses cellular changes preceding angiogenesis.[59][60] These results have been seen in vivo with nontoxic dosages of ursolic acid, and ursolic acid also inhibits expression of MMP2 and MMP9 (intermediates required for the final stages of angiogenesis into new tissue)[61]

This inhibition of vascularization is currently under investigation for its anti-cancer therapeutic potential, as new tumor cells require blood flow and need angiogenesis to occur for them to survive.[62] The previous study that tested rats with ursolic acid noted that the experimental group having ursolic acid at 4.25mcg/kg (50umol/kg) for 5 days had 42.03% as much vascularization in melanoma tumors as control (untreated)."

Isn't vascularization in building muscle a good thing? Is this only in regard to tumor cells? How would we know? And inhibiting nitric oxide induction doesn't sound good either. Any thoughts?
Good question. Perhaps this a a question you should also ask in the "Ask me anything" thread started by synapsin.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/288819-official-ask-me.html

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Examine really doesn't make it clear, but ursolic acid acts as an inhibitor in cancer cell lines, which is elluded to in that paragraph you posted.

Interestingly in their own citations (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18448068/) it makes the opposite statement(regarding non-cancer cell lines):

"Treatment with ursolic acid increased the expression of adhesion molecules such as E-selectin, CD-31 and I-CAM, upregulated angiogenic growth factors such as VEGF and FGF-2 and their receptors and caused increase in the ratio of PGE(2) to PGD(2). Reversal of the effect of ursolic acid by inhibition of PI3K-Akt pathway"

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Examine really doesn't make it clear, but ursolic acid acts as an inhibitor in cancer cell lines, which is elluded to in that paragraph you posted.

Interestingly in their own citations (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18448068/) it makes the opposite statement(regarding non-cancer cell lines):

"Treatment with ursolic acid increased the expression of adhesion molecules such as E-selectin, CD-31 and I-CAM, upregulated angiogenic growth factors such as VEGF and FGF-2 and their receptors and caused increase in the ratio of PGE(2) to PGD(2). Reversal of the effect of ursolic acid by inhibition of PI3K-Akt pathway"
So it inhibits tumor growth by inhibiting angiogenesis only in cancer but accelerates angiogenesis in all other cells? Or am I misunderstanding?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So it inhibits tumor growth by inhibiting angiogenesis only in cancer but accelerates angiogenesis in all other cells? Or am I misunderstanding?
Theoretically, based off those study cell assay results.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Also from Examine:

"3.2. Endothelium

One study noted that, in vitro, in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) as well as cells taken from humans, ursolic acid was able to prevent cell differentiation and induce cell death in both cell cultures potently at 12.5uM, and in isolated cells at 6.25uM. Lower doses did not have any influence on cell death, and 3.125uM has a non-significant increase in cell differentation relative to controls in isolated cells.[23]"

Inducing cell death sounds like a bad thing.
Can anyone help me understand what the relevance is here?

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I am sorry, I just don't think it does very much. Just using UR spray I still didn't get very much out of this...