Does Citrulline or Malate Interfere With The Benefits of Agmatine?

Sean8616

Sean8616

Awards
I've been a consistent user of bulk Citrulline Malate 2:1 for years and recently ordered a 100g sample of Agmatine.

I have ran 1g and 2g of Agmatine within the past 10 days along with my usual 8g of Citrulline/Malate as a preworkout and did not notice any difference in my usual 'pump' experience with my normal 8g dose of Cit/Mal.

(Haha, I'd really like to experience this 'pump' so many rave about with Agmatine.)

I do know there is a number of benefits with the use of Agmatine, such as enhancing mood, relieving depression and alleviating pain.

I'm not a depressed person to notice the mood enhancement claim, and I don't really suffer from any obvious pain to notice any ease in that department, but I am one of those people who likes to reap the healthy benefits all around and not just the aesthetic ones, so I'd like to continue using it.

Although, it does make me wonder.... if I was unable to obtain this fuller 'pump' from the addition of Agmatine loaded in with my pre, would that be a sign to show that I am not running the Agmatine at its optimal performance and that possibly either the Citrulline or the Malate is interfering and suppressing the Agmatine?

I really enjoy the response I receive with Citrulline/Malate (not just for pumps) so I'm thinking of kicking the Agmatine, but before I do, I'm gonna cancel out tomorrow's Cit/Mal dose to see if the Ag is possibly better on its own.

In the meantime, just wondering if anyone has info on these compounds when combined and used together, preworkout?

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I never really got much from agmatine, maybe gda effects. Maybe when dosed with carbs pre, but than again pump and carb intake go hand in hand for me.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no, they make a great combination

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
no, they make a great combination
This. They don't interfere and I will usually always take both. I get a great pump and muscle fullness when I take both. Veins go crazy during my workout if I take them.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'd also add that combining things isn't always "additive" - maybe your body can't get any more "pumped"? And I think you could only hope for anecdotal info anyway - there is no research that I am aware of on the combination compared to solo use.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agmatine increases the Citrulline effective time. So taking them together would give a longer lastin effect.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another vote for using them together. I love that stack and always get a full pump. If I had to only run one or the other, I would take agmatine.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I've been using them together for 2+ years and have had no issue with them interfering with each other.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Nope. I use 1g SNS Agmatine every morning with my shake. It's a GDA among other great stuff.

You should try taking Agmatine with carbs

Sean8616

Sean8616

Awards
Wow, wasn't expecting so many replies. Thanks for chiming in everyone!

I did do a little digging around the webs and happened to stumble on some people suggesting the two compounds compete against eachother in terms of the uptake with nitric oxide in the system.

Let me see if I can grab em again to post some links. (brb to edit)

EXCERPT:

"While the above sounds great, you’d think that it’d work even better if you combined it with L-arginine, or possibly L-citrulline, known nitric oxide boosters. However, that’s not the case, as they might negate the above effects of agmatine, because L-arginine and/or L-citrulline will combat it by reducing the inhibition of nNOS that you’d get from agmatine."

Other than that, as far as anecdotal evidence, I think it's safe to say some are just not quite as responsive as others in terms of vascular blood flow, although, the latter does seem to dominate this arena.

Considering the many benefits to supping Agmatine, I will continue to use it, just not as a pwo and instead will take it with my ZMA before bed.

Thank you again all for taking the time to check my thread and post your experiences.

Sean8616

Sean8616

Awards
Ok, lol, I decided to get a 2nd workout in for the day just before bed and used a 2g Agmatine dose as my pwo, nothing else, to isolate it from my usual 8g cit/mal pwo.

Holy moly!!! Loved it!

A genuine pump, no doubt!

I guess I just wanted some kind of a chemistry compound breakdown as to why I don't achieve more pump while mixed in with my Cit/Mal pwo, but I think I'm over it now, lol. Had a great experience isolating the N.O.

Not a huge fan of the phrase, but at this point, "it is what it is."

I'll just juggle between the two throughout the week.