Do I need a GDA?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
It has come to my attention that something I've been doing for years when bulking might actually be totally incorrect: basically, since I wake up pretty late (1pm) I usually have breakfast and lunch together, which usually means 50gr whey + banana + 200gr pasta or rice.

Sure, there's usually condiments and/or olive oil alongside pasta or rice which might slow down the digestion, but this abundance of carbs first thing in the morning might mean my insuline sensitivity gets ****ed up and my blood sugar skyrockets? That might also explain the "feeling tired all the time" sensation I often have during the day.

Also my prewo meal is basically carbs (low IG grain and fruit) + proteins, but still no fats and a lot of carbs quantity-wise.

I always thought it would be better to not have fats first thing in the morning and prewo to clear my stomach faster, but if that results in insulin sensitivity and actual fat gains...

My question is: would it be better to just add fats into my lunch and prewo meals to slow down the digestion and not make my insulin potentially go crazy, or would it be better to use a GDA?

Thanks for your time guys!

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Subbed in for the info.

H

hsk

Awards
  • Established
If possible, you should try to fine tune your diet before adding a GDA. If you are worried about insulin sensitivity, you might want to get a glucose meter and some test strips to check your fasting and post meal blood sugar levels. You can run tests with different types of meals (fat/carbs) to see how your body reacts to that meal. Everyone's body chemistry is a little different and some run better on carbs while others run better on fats. Fat is not bad and is a good slow burning fuel source.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with hsk. I would experiment with your diet first and find what works best without adding in supplements first. I wouldn't fear adding in a serving of healthy fats with your first meal of the day, as it may help slow digestion and reduce the spike in insulin. Just be sure that you add those fats into your macros for the day so you aren't increasing your calorie surplus too much, and fat gain shouldn't be an issue.

I would try a few different methods of changing your food intake, but a GDA might also be a solution to your problem. I personally use a GDA at breakfast and preworkout meals to help with digestion, and I also notice that I get a significantly better pump in the gym when using one before my preworkout meal. If you're interested in trying a GDA, TGB is currently running a sale on a bunch of products including Slinmax. I would also stay tuned to Volvo140G and see what sales come out on Nutriverse.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has come to my attention that something I've been doing for years when bulking might actually be totally incorrect: basically, since I wake up pretty late (1pm) I usually have breakfast and lunch together, which usually means 50gr whey + banana + 200gr pasta or rice.

Sure, there's usually condiments and/or olive oil alongside pasta or rice which might slow down the digestion, but this abundance of carbs first thing in the morning might mean my insuline sensitivity gets ****ed up and my blood sugar skyrockets? That might also explain the "feeling tired all the time" sensation I often have during the day.

Also my prewo meal is basically carbs (low IG grain and fruit) + proteins, but still no fats and a lot of carbs quantity-wise.

I always thought it would be better to not have fats first thing in the morning and prewo to clear my stomach faster, but if that results in insulin sensitivity and actual fat gains...

My question is: would it be better to just add fats into my lunch and prewo meals to slow down the digestion and not make my insulin potentially go crazy, or would it be better to use a GDA?

Look at your diet first (like others have stated). After that, if you still want a GDA, we are here to help with information/dosing protocol on a few of them. The first one I would suggest is SlinMax. If you want to stock up now on it just in case you decide to go that route, TF supplements has a bogo sale. Buy one get one 50% off. If you do want to consider a GDA, let us know and we can help you choose the best one for you.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
In simple terms, a gda can help anytime with a carb meal (except post workout as its just unnecessary). Something like SNS glycophase can absolutely help to minimize the impact though.

As far as how you respond to carbs in certain times/amounts, thats personal.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Get a Glucose Meter and actually *see* what your blood sugar is doing in relation to your food intake. Then you can decide if you need to spend money on a GDA. If you do, I'd start out testing the cheap stuff (there's that meter coming in handy again) like Cinnamon, Apple Cider Vinegar, Banaba Leaf (Corosolic Acid), etc... Having a majority of your carbs before, during, and after training should put them where you want them. Insulin/Blood Sugar is like a 2 hour ordeal - it's not like you swallow some sugar and it immediately goes to fat. Diabetics regularly do "2 Hour Post" blood checks.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Keto would be the way to not make your insulin go crazy and still works with gda products I feel .

J

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get a Glucose Meter and actually *see* what your blood sugar is doing in relation to your food intake. Then you can decide if you need to spend money on a GDA. If you do, I'd start out testing the cheap stuff (there's that meter coming in handy again) like Cinnamon, Apple Cider Vinegar, Banaba Leaf (Corosolic Acid), etc... Having a majority of your carbs before, during, and after training should put them where you want them. Insulin/Blood Sugar is like a 2 hour ordeal - it's not like you swallow some sugar and it immediately goes to fat. Diabetics regularly do "2 Hour Post" blood checks.
As a recently diagnosed diabetic (1 year in) I had to learn how to eat again and what foods affect my blood glucose the most. I literally went from ~180 lbs to 157 in 2 months.... Having a meter on hand for testing gda's is a very good idea. Go to Walmart and grab yourself one along with a couple hundred testing strips and start the process.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

So many factors to consider. What's your body fat at? how many total carbs per day? How long have you been at that carb level? What type of training do you do? Cardio?

Either way, I've had a lot of success in the past taking a GDA before bed as well as pre workout to keep my insulin sensitivity higher for longer. I use SNS glycophase now. Yes I rep for them but GDA aren't terribly expensive and it's been my go to with ALA added at Night.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I honestly wouldn't group 200+ grams of carbs all in 1 meal, but that is just me. There is no need to do that, even if you sleep in late.. I do to. I work night shift. When I am off, I go to bed at 4am and wake at 12, I don't combine two meals into 1 though.

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So many factors to consider. What's your body fat at? how many total carbs per day? How long have you been at that carb level? What type of training do you do? Cardio?

Either way, I've had a lot of success in the past taking a GDA before bed as well as pre workout to keep my insulin sensitivity higher for longer. I use SNS glycophase now. Yes I rep for them but GDA aren't terribly expensive and it's been my go to with ALA added at Night.
Yeah, Glycophase is more affordable and more comprehensive than a lot of competing products.