Sleep study

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever gotten one? I feel like I always wake up tired even after a solid 9-10 hours and that doesn't seem right I'm 25 not in puberty

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, I've had one before

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sleep studies can be a pain in the butt however I feel that you should get one done as when you get your sleep dialed in through CPAP or other form sleep assistant device it is LIFE CHANGING

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My family has long told me that I have sleep apnea. While I am sure it is not as useful as a CPAP, I recently ordered a mouthpiece to make it easier to breath at night. My sleep quality has improved somewhat. It cost me 2 bucks online. I would suggest at least trying this to see if it helps.

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Breath right nose strips, best investment I have made. Sams wholesale for best value

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I havent slept over 6 hours for decades! I know its not optimal but life gets always in the way! To the OP, if you dont have any health conditions, it may be oversleeping. Go for 7-8 hours for a week and see how it feels

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
See I've done both and am even more exhausted with 7-8 so I'm thinking it has to be some kind of sleep problem

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I currently have the same issue. I'm 26, probably started around when I was 20. Normal blood work...etc. I've always thought about getting a sleep study but I do know this...I sleep walk/talk a lot so that may be something to do with it (for me). I've also found that when I wake up to an alarm, I'm sleepy all day but when I wake up naturally, I'm usually fine. I can sleep 4 hours or 10 hours and still feel tired.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had one since I have severe sleep apnea. It's a pain in the butt, but also well worth it. You can find out a lot from it.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had two before. As said earlier in the thread, CPAP therapy can be life changing.

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
How is cpap life changing? What do they show you after a sleep study?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CPAP is life changing because you actually get deep sleep.
This 100%. You'll be shocked how much better you actually sleep at night.

It makes it easier to lose fat as well, IMO.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Same here. Breath so much better with those.
Apnea can not be changed by breathe right strips. Apnea needs either surgery, mouth piece or machine.

sweedman

Awards
I work in a sleep lab. It's very basic and might give answer to some of your issues. Its more common In older adults as Well people who are over weight to have obstructive sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea is easily treated with cpap machine or bipap machine. Basically your breathing against continues positive airway pressure (CPAP) so it can feel uncomfortable at first but in time patient adapt well. BIPAP is a little more comfortable. Its a combination of an inspiratory pressure as well As positive pressure. People with apnea usually do not Spend much time in REM sleep so they feel worn out and tired the next day. The person looks to be sleeping but with every apnec episode the brain is startled awake before it ever has a chance to go into other sleep stages that help the brain rest and file information for lack of better term. You can imagine suffering from this doing it day in and day out can really play havoc on muscle recovery process. Good luck.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apnea can not be changed by breathe right strips. Apnea needs either surgery, mouth piece or machine.
Not sure why you responded to my post. Never said I had apnea...just that I breath better with them.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Not sure why you responded to my post. Never said I had apnea...just that I breath better with them.
Nothing against your post. I have breath right advertised to help apnea and just was stating that it does not cure it. I apologize if it seemed like I was aiming at you. Not my intention.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing against your post. I have breath right advertised to help apnea and just was stating that it does not cure it. I apologize if it seemed like I was aiming at you. Not my intention.
Gotcha. No problem. Had a family member and friend go in for sleep studies. Both thought they might have sleep apnea but both were prescribed medication instead. Just goes to show you never know the issue until you get it checked out professionally.

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
What would a sleep study cost? Is it covered by insurance?

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
What would a sleep study cost? Is it covered by insurance?
Depends on the insurance. Should be able to get a referral via your doctor and more likely to be covered that way.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I had one years ago and it was life changing. The meds that I was on at the time were making me crash into REM sleep so that I was not getting much or any restorative sleep. I could sleep 10 hours and wake up still exhausted.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another suggestion, not as good as a full sleep study, but something you can do right now: If you have a smartphone, you can download a free app like SleepCycle which will use the phone's accelerometer to track your movement at night as you sleep. It will give you a graph of your REM cycles, how long you spend in REM, etc. Another great feature is that you can set a "wake up window" alarm that will go off when you're least asleep, which will make you feel much less groggy when you wake up.

Let's say you need to wake up by 7:30. You can set the window for say, 25 minutes (7:05-7:30). The alarm will go off when you're furthest from REM. While you might lose a couple minutes, if you're anything like me, you'll be more-than-happy with the trade-off because you'll wake up far more refreshed. Between this and Or1gin, (which has increased my time in REM considerably), I am waking up feeling amazing with an average of 6.5 hours sleep. :)

Sss23

Awards
  • Established
That sounds awesome.. I gotta say I'm confused how an app could read your REM sleep?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That sounds awesome.. I gotta say I'm confused how an app could read your REM sleep?
It's not perfect but it tracks your movement. Which is a decent indicator of which phase of sleep you are in. Stage 1 there is alot of movement and it gets less from there but picks up a LITTLE(shouldn't be much at all but there is some) during rem(stage 4) then stage 5 there is ZERO movement