Extremely lethargic after workout... could it be my postwo shake?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
As the title states, immediately after my postwo shake I feel incredibly lethargic to the point I always fall asleep for 3hrs straight. My shake is nothing crazy, approx 40gr Hydro Whey + 100gr Karbolyn. Could it be the carbs in Karbolyn making me feel like this, or is it just from the heavy workouts?

Thanks for your time guys!

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
As the title states, immediately after my postwo shake I feel incredibly lethargic to the point I always fall asleep for 3hrs straight. My shake is nothing crazy, approx 40gr Hydro Whey + 100gr Karbolyn. Could it be the carbs in Karbolyn making me feel like this, or is it just from the heavy workouts?

Thanks for your time guys!
This happens to some people when it comes to simple carbs especially with no fat content consumed. Simple carbohydrates like sugar or corn syrup, cause your blood sugar to spike pretty quickly especially with no fat consumption to slow absorption. The rapid spike, can cause your blood sugar to plummet back down, leading to feeling lethargic. That's the only thing I can think of.

Are you taking any stimulants in your pre workout, or anything else before your workout?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What hour of the day do you train? I train late night and sometimes fall asleep durring my backload meal.

How is your sleep at night?

I agree that if youare using a stim heavy pre, than your probably crashing from it.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
This happens to some people when it comes to simple carbs especially with no fat content consumed. Simple carbohydrates like sugar or corn syrup, cause your blood sugar to spike pretty quickly especially with no fat consumption to slow absorption. The rapid spike, can cause your blood sugar to plummet back down, leading to feeling lethargic. That's the only thing I can think of.

Are you taking any stimulants in your pre workout, or anything else before your workout?
Tr1umph and X-Gels. No stims as I have a super low tolerance to them. On a cut I wasn't experiencing this, probably because my postwo carbs were just half a banana.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Tr1umph and X-Gels. No stims as I have a super low tolerance to them. This happened before taking them as well. On a cut I wasn't experiencing this, probably because my postwo carbs were just half a banana.
Try to cut the post workout carbs to 50g (one scoop) or throw down a tablespoon of peanut butter with the post workout shake. The "fast absorption post workout window" is pretty bro science-ish.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Try to cut the post workout carbs to 50g (one scoop) or throw down a tablespoon of peanut butter with the post workout shake. The "fast absorption post workout window" is pretty bro science-ish.
I know it is, but I gotta take my macros nonetheless and at that time is pretty convenient to me.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
I know it is, but I gotta take my macros nonetheless and at that time is pretty convenient to me.
I hear ya. I used to throw down 100g dextrose with my whey at the end of a workout. I felt the same way, just wanted to nap almost like I ate an entire cake. I switched to a "clean" gainer which you see more of on the shelves now adays. most of its carb content consisted of complex carbohydrates and it had solid fat content in each serving. Absorption was much more controlled and I didn't feel as ****ty after

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
What hour of the day do you train? I train late night and sometimes fall asleep durring my backload meal.

How is your sleep at night?

I agree that if youare using a stim heavy pre, than your probably crashing from it.
I train from 9pm to 10:20pm so it's kinda late, but due to my job I always wake up at 1pm and go to sleep at 6am, so 9pm is not really that late for me...

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya. I used to throw down 100g dextrose with my whey at the end of a workout. I felt the same way, just wanted to nap almost like I ate an entire cake. I switched to a "clean" gainer which you see more of on the shelves now adays. most of its carb content consisted of complex carbohydrates and it had solid fat content in each serving. Absorption was much more controlled and I didn't feel as ****ty after
That is actually an awesome suggestion. I'll look into replacing simple carbs with complex ones and some fat. Which gainer do you take?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Great advice in here. That used to happen to me in when my post workout shake was 80-100g of fast digesting carbs. I would suggest switching out some of the Karbolyn with a low glycemic carb. You could do 50g of Karbolyn and 50g oats, or have a snack to eat along with your shake after training (whole wheat bagel, rice cakes, etc.)

I've also found that having any solid food helps a lot with the lethargy. Liquid carbs and protein are an easy post workout, but you'll benefit from adding in some lower glycemic carbs. You can add in fats if you like, but I typically avoid them in my post workout meal so they don't slow down digestion and delay muscle protein synthesis - and that may be total broscience too lol. But that's just how I've always done it

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Yea, guys I think I might blend Karbolyn with other carbs or a gainer + just a hint of fats to still get my macros but not feeling so sleepy after wo. We'll see what happens :)