What kind of sodium is in supplements?

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I'm making a supplement because they discontinued it. The only thing I'm missing is sodium. My hands are really dry since. Feels the same but I would like to know what sodium is used. There are so many kinds. It's not listed on the bottle, just says sodium. Very tiny amount.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about vitamin c. I think it's the same sodium as baking soda. Can you take a little baking soda internally or not?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about vitamin c. I think it's the same sodium as baking soda. Can you take a little baking soda internally or not?
Yes you can. The_Old_Guy can probably fill you in. I remember reading about his baking soda protocol a while back

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I was using vitamin c powder, thinking I would save some money. It didn't work out well. I needed those bioflavanoids. I've never had to add sodium to anything, so I don't know.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
You can most definitely take Baking Soda internally. Studies are using up to 30-35g all at once. Playing fast and loose with the math, about 25% of whatever amount you take, will be Sodium.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. Do you personally know any benefits to taking it? I'll have to play around with the dose a little. I've never used baking soda for anything other than whitening my teeth.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Thank you. Do you personally know any benefits to taking it? I'll have to play around with the dose a little. I've never used baking soda for anything other than whitening my teeth.
Current research is for performance gains during various activities - it's like Beta Alanine (but better - so a combo is nice) in that it acts as a PH buffer. Go to Suppversity and type Bicarb into the search box

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If it was Sodium Bicarbonate, it would likely be listed as such on the bottle. In these cases, we are talking milligrams, not grams and you can easily replace the missed sodium with just regular table salt. No need to dose 30-40g of Sodium Bicarbonate

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just to be clear, 51FTY - I wasn't suggesting you take 30g of NaBicarb - that was just for information purposes. If you want to use it as a Sodium source - take the amount of Sodium you want, in milligrams, and multiply by 4 for the total amount of Baking Soda. But like Jiiggzz said, why not just use Sea Salt or something?

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
I thought about the table salt. But I kinda don't want to add it in, my capsule. The dose I think I will use is 2mg or 5mg.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just don't use too much sodium bicarbonate because you'll have extreme GI distress. That's why athletes who use it "load" ahead of time or microdose.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
If I was using salt instead would you use regular table salt or iodized sea salt? Now I'm thinking it's better without the baking soda.

51FTY

Awards
  • Established
Just to use on food, not put in the capsule. Felt really really lazy after.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Current research is for performance gains during various activities - it's like Beta Alanine (but better - so a combo is nice) in that it acts as a PH buffer. Go to Suppversity and type Bicarb into the search box
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149734073&p=981328233&viewfull=1#post981328233

"From a prior post of mine, "It's been studied a lot, and while studies show it working, they're pretty much all wrong on why. Na+ is what you really want to consider when referring to exercise, not HCO3 (increase in extracellular potassium ions and intracellular sodium ions)...Na+ makes the osmotic and ionic change less severe. It just so happens that sodium ions have their most maximal effect when administrated with bicarbonate ions."

"

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149734073&p=981328233&viewfull=1#post981328233

"From a prior post of mine, "It's been studied a lot, and while studies show it working, they're pretty much all wrong on why. Na+ is what you really want to consider when referring to exercise, not HCO3 (increase in extracellular potassium ions and intracellular sodium ions)...Na+ makes the osmotic and ionic change less severe. It just so happens that sodium ions have their most maximal effect when administrated with bicarbonate ions."

"
Impressive that you remembered a quote you had from 2012....

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Impressive that you remembered a quote you had from 2012....
Haha thanks. I have a pretty decent memory, and I've been around a while so I've likely commented on most topics at some point

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So how many mg per kg is suggested? I've een 0.2-0.4 per a kg from various sources.

@75kg, I might try 20g sometime. Would it be beneficial to break it up into two doses? Maybe 30 minutes apart.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
So how many mg per kg is suggested? I've een 0.2-0.4 per a kg from various sources.

@75kg, I might try 20g sometime. Would it be beneficial to break it up into two doses? Maybe 30 minutes apart.
The relevant ones for weights:

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/10/sodium-bicarbonate-for-strength.html

http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2012/09/the-latest-on-sodium-bicarbonate-serial.html

And a bunch more for other stuff like HIIT etc...

https://www.google.com/#q=suppversity+sodium+bicarbonate

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If I was using salt instead would you use regular table salt or iodized sea salt? Now I'm thinking it's better without the baking soda.
Iodized is just salt with added iodine, which is extremely important for normal fetus development - hence why iodine is often added to a lot of foods.

Just to use on food, not put in the capsule. Felt really really lazy after.
The salt made you lazy? Not sure I follow