BCAA's

Shane D

Awards
Hello, I'm 40 years old and have been training seriously for about 6 months. I have lost 50# in the last 10 months and have reached my goal to start bulking up for 15# of muscle mass. My question is I have been taking around 30 grams of bcaas including what's in my protein powder. I did this during my fat loss time and lean muscle gains. Now I want to bulk up a bit. Should I lay off the extra BCAAs since I am adding 600-800 calories of clean calories and bumping up my protein intake drematicly?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the weight loss! That's phenomenal.

As far as the BCAA - if you are eating adequate protein you can definitely lay off.
You can still use BCAA if you train fasted or as an intraworkout, but you don't need to mega dose.

Shane D

Awards
Congrats on the weight loss! That's phenomenal.

As far as the BCAA - if you are eating adequate protein you can definitely lay off.
You can still use BCAA if you train fasted or as an intraworkout, but you don't need to mega dose.
Thanks Woody. Yeah I use them intra. Just was going to lay off the high doses since my calorie deficit is much less than before.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd say thats a good idea. You probably don't need that many bcaas ecspecially if you're eatting more.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like others said, if you are eating adequately, no need for additional BCAAs. If you worry, however, look into a leucine + EAA product.