L-carnitine l-tartrate (LCLT)

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
L-carnitine l-tartrate

L-carnitine l-tartrate (LCLT) is the biologically active form of Carnitine, an ammonium compound biosynthesized from methionine and lysine. Of the many ingredients included in most supplements these days, LCLT is one of the rare ingredients with a solid foundation of research behind it for use in humans, especially with regards to resistance training.

LCLT has been postulated to assist in the management of weight loss and metabolic syndrome in a variety of manners. LCLT has been speculated to increase the amount of fat burned during resistance training, and enhance the consumption of fat as a source of fuel. In addition, supplementation of LCLT can assist overweight individuals in managing their weight via mobilization of fatty deposits in adipose tissue (Pekala, et al., 2011).

LCLT supplementation has been observed to favourably alter concentrations of hypoxanthine and xanthine oxidase following exercise, both known to be markers of metabolic stress. This occurs due to 1) the oxidization of AMP to hypoxanthine following the activation of adenylate kinase on a pool of ADP and hydrogen protons, and 2) the proteolytic cleavage of xanthine dehydrogenase, resulting in xanthine oxidase. By altering the concentration of these metabolic stress markers, LCLT prevents the generation of superoxide radicals formed during exercise and the immediate initiation of lipid peroxidation (Spiering et al, 2007).

LCLT supplementation has also been shown to demonstrate a reduction in the muscle damage markers myoglobin and creatine kinase following exercise (Volek et al, 2002) and to attenuate the ammonia accumulation (Broad et al, 2008). Although previous studies found these benefits in subjects using 2 grams of LCLT a day, these previous findings have been supported by Ho et al. (2010), who found that supplementation of LCLT can reduce damage to muscle tissues following exercise, and subsequently optimize muscle tissue repair in subjects using only 1 gram of LCLT daily. I recommend taking 2 grams a day, however, as it is a relatively inexpensive product.

LCLT should be taken with meals, as studies have shown that the effects of carnitine on cardiac muscle contractility in the presence of fats and carbs can lead to a lowering of one’s heart rate at multiple levels of VO2 peak utilization (Broad et al., 2011). Feeding following resistance exercise has been shown to increase androgen receptor content, which can result in increased testosterone uptake due to luteinizing hormone secretion via feedback mechanisms. The same research has shown that the supplementation of LCLT in individuals resulted in up regulation of androgen receptor (AR) content during a state of rest, possibly resulting in increased protein synthesis. The combination of feeding following resistance exercise and LCLT supplementation suggests that less muscle damage occurs due to this increased AR content, promoting recovery (Kraemer et al, 2006).

In short, LCLT has been shown to:

-Reduce markers of metabolic stress,
-Increase the amount of fat burned during resistance training,
-Enhance the consumption of fat as a fuel source
-Prevent the generation of superoxide radicals formed during exercise,
-Reduce markers of muscle damage following exercise,
-Optimize muscle tissue repair, thus promoting recovery,
-Lower heart rate during high intensity exercise, and,
-Up-regulate androgen receptor content, possibly resulting in increased protein synthesis.

References:

Broad EM, Maughan RJ, Galloway SD (2008). Carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism during exercise after oral carnitine supplementation in humans. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 18:567–584.

Broad EM, Maughan RJ, Galloway SD (2011). Effects of exercise intensity and altered substrate availability on cardiovascular and metabolic responses to exercise after oral carnitine supplementation in athletes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2011, 21:385-397.

Ho, J.-Y., Kraemer, W. J., Volek, J. S., Fragala, M. S., Thomas, G. A., Dunn-Lewis, C., Coday, M., et al. (2010). l-Carnitine l-tartrate supplementation favorably affects biochemical markers of recovery from physical exertion in middle-aged men and women. Metabolism Clinical And Experimental, 59(8):1190-9.

Kraemer WJ, Spiering BA, Volek JS, Ratamess NA, Sharman MJ, Rubin MR, French DN, Silvestre R, HatWeld DL, Van Heest JL, Vingren JL, Judelson DA, Deschenes MR, Maresh CM. (2006). Androgenic responses to resistance exercise: effcts of feeding and L-carnitine. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 38:1288–1296.

Pekala, J., Patkowska-Sokoła, B., Bodkowski, R., Jamroz, D., Nowakowski, P., Lochyński, S., & Librowski, T. (2011). L-carnitine - metabolic functions and meaning in humans life. Current Drug Metabolism, 12(7), 667-78.

Spiering, B. A., Kraemer, W. J., Vingren, J. L., Hatfield, D. L., Fragala, M. S., Ho, J.-Y., Maresh, C. M., et al. (2007). Responses of criterion variables to different supplemental doses of L-carnitine L-tartrate. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 21(1), 259-264.

Volek, Jeff S., Kraemer, Wiliam J., et al. (2002). L-Carnitine L-tartrate supplementation favorably affects markers of recovery from exercise stress. Am J Physio Endocrinol Metab, 282: E474-E482.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
curious to know what the basic run down is for what creates the difference in the MOAs of the various forms of carnitines? does the l-tartate just transport is to different areas than an acetyl will or what really separates these guys aside from the names and what people commonly use each form for.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
curious to know what the basic run down is for what creates the difference in the MOAs of the various forms of carnitines? does the l-tartate just transport is to different areas than an acetyl will or what really separates these guys aside from the names and what people commonly use each form for.
I'll respond to this later, but yeah what they're attached to dramatically alters their metabolism, distribution, function, etc.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
You only hear really about the LCLT and ALCAR instead of PLCAR (Propionyl-L-Carnitine, usually bound to glycine), which technically do have different pathways, but its due to the molecule thats being attached.

I do know that the salt form L-Carnitine L-Tartrate is more quickly absorbed and has higher plasma amount of the FREE form of L-Carnitine than the esterified forms like ALCAR despite the no difference in overall bioavailibility... which is why people dose in pre-workout. LCLT seems to also help with getting oxygen to the muscle and results in the faster recovery from weight bearing exercise, which is an anaerobic process.

The acetylated form of L-Carnitine (ALCAR) allows for it to be more permeable to the blood brain barrier, which is why it is touted to be a good for cognitive health and memory. ALCAR also seems to increase N.O. levels too.

Thats from my little researching bit before implementing them into my supplement regime, as well as learning it in a couple of my biomed classes.

Curious to see what else Synapsin has to say about it!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Dr. Mauro DiPasquale talked for about an hour about the various forms on Super human Radio. Tartrate is used a lot because it enters circulation quickly, which is beneficial for research purposes. In the end I think he said he takes 3g LC or LCLT and 1g ALCAR per day.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it just me or do you guys have to chew the lclt up when it is in tablet form? Every time that I have consumed LCLT tabs from various companies, they pass through me undigested.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
So would you consider Carnigen By Evogen something worth buying?
It contains four types of carnitine :L-CARNITINE L-TARTRATE, ACETYL L-CARNITINE, L-CARNITINE L-FUMARATE,L-CARNITINE OROTAT
I have never used the product, but its a prop blend of 4 supps totaling 1000 mg. this would leave you short if you were going with The_Old_Guy comment which came from SHR

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Great info that a lot of people would want to read.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has there been subsequent research showing any increase in LBM, loss of fat, etc.? It seems it's all just showing lowered markers, but I don't see anything that follows up on it.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Has there been subsequent research showing any increase in LBM, loss of fat, etc.? It seems it's all just showing lowered markers, but I don't see anything that follows up on it.
Only in the elderly with rapid muscle fatigue and people > 100 years of age, which showed lowered fat mass and increased total muscle mass. Studies on healthy people are very limited.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So would you consider Carnigen By Evogen something worth buying?
It contains four types of carnitine :L-CARNITINE L-TARTRATE, ACETYL L-CARNITINE, L-CARNITINE L-FUMARATE,L-CARNITINE OROTAT
Nah, underdosed and expensive. No need to combine that many forms either.

Is it just me or do you guys have to chew the lclt up when it is in tablet form? Every time that I have consumed LCLT tabs from various companies, they pass through me undigested.
I personally don't let tablet products at all (except caffeine); always go with capsules.

I have never used the product, but its a prop blend of 4 supps totaling 1000 mg. this would leave you short if you were going with The_Old_Guy comment which came from SHR
Yes, exactly. The advice The_Old_Guy gave was good. I generally take 2 g of LCLT a day, and 2 g of ALCAR a day (mind you I don't use ALCAR daily).

None that I could find. I made sure to look for more recent research before posting this :)

EricIrons

EricIrons

Board Sponsor
Awards
APS Carnitine is a good mix of PCAR and ALCAR along with regular carnitine. I take a separate LCLT product though and it's damn good. Tastes great too!

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great read .. short and sweet just how i like my ******

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Would like to see how L-Carnitine and ALCAR stack up against each other in the fat burned during exercise and consumption as fat for fuel catagories.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
APS Carnitine is a good mix of PCAR and ALCAR along with regular carnitine. I take a separate LCLT product though and it's damn good. Tastes great too!
good info right there

compan

compan

Awards
Never had tabs, only single ingredient LCLT I've had is Kaged and that's fine but those are capsules.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Would like to see how L-Carnitine and ALCAR stack up against each other in the fat burned during exercise and consumption as fat for fuel catagories.
im curious as well.

wonder if this is as simple as assuming there'd be more total pure carnitine being absorbed via lclt and comparing that comparable doses to all the plethora of l-carnitine data...? or again, as i was wondering, would that just not translate completely as synapsin seemed to of eluded to.

im assuming it will to some degree have an effect on fat loss but to what end? lclt is never marketed that way on its own and im curious as to why.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
im curious as well.

wonder if this is as simple as assuming there'd be more total pure carnitine being absorbed via lclt and comparing that comparable doses to all the plethora of l-carnitine data...? or again, as i was wondering, would that just not translate completely as synapsin seemed to of eluded to.

im assuming it will to some degree have an effect on fat loss but to what end? lclt is never marketed that way on its own and im curious as to why.

there is one way to find out-

KevinConn

KevinConn

Awards
so 2-3 grams a day is recommended dosage? best time is to time with pre-workout meal/snack right?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I honestly don't think they would differ that much (i.e. not that significant), although I would say l-carnitine is likely to be more useful.

im curious as well.

It was previously discussed but I don't believe it to be suitable as a fat loss agent. I think its more so useful as a recovery agent or useful in a fat loss product in terms of helping you recover faster.

so 2-3 grams a day is recommended dosage? best time is to time with pre-workout meal/snack right?
2-3 grams a day is perfect. IMO no need more than 2 grams a day, its well studied. Best time is with a meal.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Has anyone noticed any body composition changes they can directly attribute to this?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Has anyone noticed any body composition changes they can directly attribute to this?
I would mostly say enhanced recovery is what to look for from this, and not direct body composition changes

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Also, if you're not deficient, supplemental LC may not help:

"Red meats and dairy products are your best choices for carnitine, but other great foods include nuts, seeds, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, garlic, mustard greens, okra, parsley, kale, apricots, bananas, bee pollen, brewer's yeast, buckwheat, corn, oatmeal, rice bran, rye, and whole wheat"

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would mostly say enhanced recovery is what to look for from this, and not direct body composition changes
Is that in regards to LCLT or all carnitine? The increase in androgen receptor density is what catches my attention here.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, if you're not deficient, supplemental LC may not help:

"Red meats and dairy products are your best choices for carnitine, but other great foods include nuts, seeds, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, garlic, mustard greens, okra, parsley, kale, apricots, bananas, bee pollen, brewer's yeast, buckwheat, corn, oatmeal, rice bran, rye, and whole wheat"
That's the same with all supplements though :) LCLT is cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to take 1 or 2 g a day IMO, especially on days where diet might be lacking.

Is that in regards to LCLT or all carnitine? The increase in androgen receptor density is what catches my attention here.
Yeah, specifically LCLT. The increase in androgen receptor density is interesting, but I have never seen any blood work to suggest it is particularly useful and I wouldn't ever supplement it for that purpose. I mentioned it just because you'll notice some test boosters back in the day included LCLT in their products (or in GH products).

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For many of the supps we take we can get from diet, but unless your positive your diet is on point then supplementing doesn't hurt.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I honestly don't think they would differ that much (i.e. not that significant), although I would say l-carnitine is likely to be more useful.

It was previously discussed but I don't believe it to be suitable as a fat loss agent. I think its more so useful as a recovery agent or useful in a fat loss product in terms of helping you recover faster.

2-3 grams a day is perfect. IMO no need more than 2 grams a day, its well studied. Best time is with a meal.
So with breakfast or dinner or any meal? Does it not matter if preworkout?

CT21

Awards
So with breakfast or dinner or any meal? Does it not matter if preworkout?

LCLT is good with meals and post workout protein/carb shakes. ALCAR & PLCAR are better on an empty stomach pre workout or before any type of physical activity.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why is with a meal best though?
"LCLT should be taken with meals, as studies have shown that the effects of carnitine on cardiac muscle contractility in the presence of fats and carbs can lead to a lowering of one’s heart rate at multiple levels of VO2 peak utilization (Broad et al., 2011)."

Mariomari

Awards
anyone worried about the link between carnitine and TMAO?

"Studies indicate that high levels of TMAO in the blood are associated with an increased risk of major adverse cardiovascular events.[9] The concentration of TMAO in the blood increases after consuming foods containing carnitine or lecithin if the bacteria that convert those substances to TMAO are present in the gut.[11] High concentrations of carnitine are found in red meat, some energy drinks, and some dietary supplements; lecithin is found in soy, eggs,[11] as an ingredient in processed food and is sold as a dietary supplement. Some types of normal gut bacteria (e.g. species of Acinetobacter) in the human microbiome convert dietary carnitine to TMAO. TMAO alters cholesterol metabolism in the intestines, in the liver, and in artery wall. In the presence of TMAO, there is increased deposition of cholesterol in, and decreased removal of cholesterol from, peripheral cells such as those in the artery wall."

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
anyone worried about the link between carnitine and TMAO?

"Studies indicate that high levels of TMAO in the blood are associated with an increased risk of major adverse cardiovascular events.[9] The concentration of TMAO in the blood increases after consuming foods containing carnitine or lecithin if the bacteria that convert those substances to TMAO are present in the gut.[11] High concentrations of carnitine are found in red meat, some energy drinks, and some dietary supplements; lecithin is found in soy, eggs,[11] as an ingredient in processed food and is sold as a dietary supplement. Some types of normal gut bacteria (e.g. species of Acinetobacter) in the human microbiome convert dietary carnitine to TMAO. TMAO alters cholesterol metabolism in the intestines, in the liver, and in artery wall. In the presence of TMAO, there is increased deposition of cholesterol in, and decreased removal of cholesterol from, peripheral cells such as those in the artery wall."
I have never seen any issues in humans attributed to supplemental carnitine; not to mention the % would incredibly low considering how much meat humans consume.

Mariomari

Awards
I have never seen any issues in humans attributed to supplemental carnitine; not to mention the % would incredibly low considering how much meat humans consume.
I was referring to the 2g of carnitine supps dosage, which approx equals 2Kg of beef a day. Ironically TMAO is present in fish at high % too.

There have been a lot of studies recently on TMAO associated with an increased risk of major adverse cardiovascular events and the fact is that, depending on your gut bacteria, carnitine increases the level of TMAO in the blood.

Is anyone aware of transdermal carnitine supps?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was referring to the 2g of carnitine supps dosage, which approx equals 2Kg of beef a day. Ironically TMAO is present in fish at high % too.

There have been a lot of studies recently on TMAO associated with an increased risk of major adverse cardiovascular events and the fact is that, depending on your gut bacteria, carnitine increases the level of TMAO in the blood.

Is anyone aware of transdermal carnitine supps?
When I said %, I meant odds of any adverse effects being directly related to carnitine supplementation. Also, no on TD, but I know some people inject carnitine.

aver4581

Awards
For me oral ingestion never noticed much. With injectable the fat just melted off.

Mariomari

Awards
What's TMAO?
Trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO)

Intestinal microbiota metabolism of choline and phosphatidylcholine produces trimethylamine (TMA), which is further metabolized to a proatherogenic species, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO). Metabolism by intestinal microbiota of dietary L-carnitine, a trimethylamine abundant in red meat, also produces TMAO and accelerates atherosclerosis in mice. Omnivorous human subjects produce more TMAO than vegans or vegetarians following ingestion of L-carnitine through a microbiota-dependent mechanism.