Alphamax XT, sleep issues

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.

Ever since I've been taking my alphamax XT I find it extremely difficult to fall asleep. I've also been waking up every single morning between 4 and 5 o'clock. Not sure why this is happening. Should I try taking my 2nd dose post workout instead of before bed?

Cheers

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.

Ever since I've been taking my alphamax XT I find it extremely difficult to fall asleep. I've also been waking up every single morning between 4 and 5 o'clock. Not sure why this is happening. Should I try taking my 2nd dose post workout instead of before bed?

Cheers
Try taking the 2nd dose with your last meal of the day. Should help it absorb and set in more effectively.

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Generally most people get great sleep from Alphamax XT but seems you may be responding differently, I would simply move your dose up so its not so close to bedtime.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It may be the L dopa, have you tried it alone before? Try dosing it earlier in the day.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
L-Dopa can be stimulatory for some people, what you should do is use it pre-bed still but add some melatonin and boom... Huge GH pulses and great sleep

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
L-Dopa can be stimulatory for some people, what you should do is use it pre-bed still but add some melatonin and boom... Huge GH pulses and great sleep
Tried that. 10mg melatonin with 2 caps ZMA and 2 alphamax. Unfortunately I still wake up between 4-5 every morning. Which is an issue because I get to bed at midnight usually.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tried that. 10mg melatonin with 2 caps ZMA and 2 alphamax. Unfortunately I still wake up between 4-5 every morning. Which is an issue because I get to bed at midnight usually.
10 mg of melatonin is far too much. Also, the most optimal time to take the dose of alphamax is in the morning ;)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I recall, either Tongkat Ali or ashwagandha can be a source for that. I'll look into it unless someone has a study available or some anecdotal evidence.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I slept well on Alphamax. Sleep wasn't necessarily improved, but I never had trouble sleeping.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
I love Alphmax XT for the sleep aspect more than anything. Im normally an erratic sleeper so this was a gold mine of a find. I think the main ingredient over and above ashwagandha and ZMA is the nettle extract. I was around way back when Activate Exteme first came out by Designer Supplements and it was solely nettle root extract. Man oh man did that stuff ever improve on my sleep not to mention libido. So im happy at my age to have found a product very similair and make a huge improvement on my sleep patterns. I dose 2 caps before bed and thats all i need. Good stuff!

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
if that doesn't work, are you taking anything else?
Alphamax and ZMA before bed.

BCAA intra workout

Gainer twice a day (morning post workout)

Lecithin granules usually with my pre workout meal

High Volume before workout

And soon to be ARA.

Only thing I take before bed is Alpha and ZMA and my sleep was great until I started taking alphamax. That's the only change I've made and since then my sleep has been brutal. I'm getting stronger and bigger. but my body needs rest

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
10 mg of melatonin is far too much. Also, the most optimal time to take the dose of alphamax is in the morning ;)
All 4 in the AM? I've heard it's best to split 2am and 2 before bed

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I will say sometimes l-dopa makes staying asleep all night hard. I tried an l-dopa product a couple of years ago. First couple of nights were filled with vivid dreams. Then a week or so in, I had trouble sleeping all night. Could be the l-dopa messing up your evenings

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
I will say sometimes l-dopa makes staying asleep all night hard. I tried an l-dopa product a couple of years ago. First couple of nights were filled with vivid dreams. Then a week or so in, I had trouble sleeping all night. Could be the l-dopa messing up your evenings
I'm gonna take a dose in about half hour (7:30 PST) and get to bed at around 11 after taking my ZMA. See how that goes

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let us know how that treats you. Otherwise, maybe do 2 caps in morning, then split last 2 caps away from each other some as well.

I'm lucky, I sleep amazing on Alphamax XT.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Let us know how that treats you. Otherwise, maybe do 2 caps in morning, then split last 2 caps away from each other some as well.

I'm lucky, I sleep amazing on Alphamax XT.
Most people do. Maybe I have a problem lol

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All 4 in the AM? I've heard it's best to split 2am and 2 before bed
The circadian rhythm of testosterone suggests otherwise:

What makes more sense to you, taking some before bed and having it be active when your testosterone is already through the roof in the AM, or taking it in the morning to raise testosterone in the latter part of the day? Semantics at best since it isn't a daily process but a better way of looking at things, and also helps with your issue of not being able to take the product in question before bed.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established

What makes more sense to you, taking some before bed and having it be active when your testosterone is already through the roof in the AM, or taking it in the morning to raise testosterone in the latter part of the day? Semantics at best since it isn't a daily process but a better way of looking at things, and also helps with your issue of not being able to take the product in question before bed.
Maybe I'll try 4 in the AM then

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
L-DOPA either helps or hinders sleep or one night it works and the next it does not. It can also effect your mental state (in a positive or negative way during the day). Supplements with L-DOPA may not be for you. I know they are not for me....

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

It may also be worth noting that some of the ingredients in AlphaMax XT tend to use a split dose in studies (ashwagandha and forskolin come to mind for me). Now, that's not saying it's necessary to split the dose, or that there's anything wrong with taking all 4 caps at one time, but since I look for more than just test boosting from AlphaMax XT, I prefer splitting the dose (I find that the improvement in mood from ashwagandha and tongkat ali is better sustained throughout the whole day this way). One reason is that I find 600mg ashwagandha in the morning is a bit much for me, and can make me a little too calm/tired (but 300mg is good), and some people's stomachs handle forskolin better when the daily dose is split opposed to taken all at once. There are several ways you can take it, so I don't think there's a single "ideal" dosing scheme for everyone; it's about finding what works best for you I suppose.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It may also be worth noting that some of the ingredients in AlphaMax XT tend to use a split dose in studies (ashwagandha and forskolin come to mind for me). Now, that's not saying it's necessary to split the dose, or that there's anything wrong with taking all 4 caps at one time, but since I look for more than just test boosting from AlphaMax XT, I prefer splitting the dose (I find that the improvement in mood from ashwagandha and tongkat ali is better sustained throughout the whole day this way). One reason is that I find 600mg ashwagandha in the morning is a bit much for me, and can make me a little too calm/tired (but 300mg is good), and some people's stomachs handle forskolin better when the daily dose is split opposed to taken all at once. There are several ways you can take it, so I don't think there's a single "ideal" dosing scheme for everyone; it's about finding what works best for you I suppose.
I'm suggesting this scheme for a user who is having issues with sleeping after a dose of alphamax at night. The forskolin splitting is a non issue since it would only be 50 mg at once, but I do agree 600 mg of ash might be too much for some people.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Just had the most garbage workout. Squats were so much worse than last week. 40lbs lighter for less reps. Not sure if I'm letting my head get the best of me or the lack of sleep is catching up to me. Cut my workout short. Super bummed

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just had the most garbage workout. Squats were so much worse than last week. 40lbs lighter for less reps. Not sure if I'm letting my head get the best of me or the lack of sleep is catching up to me. Cut my workout short. Super bummed
Could be anxiety, so try your best to relax before a workout and focus. Lack of sleep could certainly be an issue as well. Maybe discontinue the product for a week and see how you feel.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Lack of sleep will kill any chance of gains. And bring on all kinds of other problems (like injury).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sleep is very important. Everyone has a bad workout now and then; don't let it discourage you. Regarding the AlphaMax XT, if you're having trouble sleeping when taking a PM dose, you could try:

-Taking second serving in the afternoon or evening (around dinner time) instead of at night (around bed time).

-Sunapsin's suggestion of 4 caps in the AM

Alternatively, you could drop the dose down to just the 2 caps in the AM at first and see how you do with that. From there, you could try either adding a 3rd cap to the AM dose (sort of like what Synapsin suggested), or try adding a second serving of only 1 cap in the afternoon or evening to the 2 caps in the AM (bringing your daily total up from 2 caps to 3 caps). If that works, you could try adding in a 4th daily cap (either 2 and 2, 3 and 1, or 4 and 0). Keep us updated with what you decide to do, and don't let a bad workout get you down.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Sleep is very important. Everyone has a bad workout now and then; don't let it discourage you. Regarding the AlphaMax XT, if you're having trouble sleeping when taking a PM dose, you could try:

-Taking second serving in the afternoon or evening (around dinner time) instead of at night (around bed time).

-Sunapsin's suggestion of 4 caps in the AM

Alternatively, you could drop the dose down to just the 2 caps in the AM at first and see how you do with that. From there, you could try either adding a 3rd cap to the AM dose (sort of like what Synapsin suggested), or try adding a second serving of only 1 cap in the afternoon or evening to the 2 caps in the AM (bringing your daily total up from 2 caps to 3 caps). If that works, you could try adding in a 4th daily cap (either 2 and 2, 3 and 1, or 4 and 0). Keep us updated with what you decide to do, and don't let a bad workout get you down.
Yesterday I started taking 2 am and 2 with pre workout meal. Woke up at 4:09am and stayed awake till 7. Got in about an hour or two more.

Today I worked out earlier (about 1:30pm vs my usual 5:30 pm)

Took 2 when I woke up and 2 before my workout again, this time my workout being much earlier so we will see how it goes tonight. Going to try to dose 3mg melatonin.

On the other hand. Bodycomp on alphamax is doing pretty well

(Left photo taken 2 days before alphamax and right pic was taken today.) also diet and training has been on point but I feel somethin

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday I started taking 2 am and 2 with pre workout meal. Woke up at 4:09am and stayed awake till 7. Got in about an hour or two more.

Today I worked out earlier (about 1:30pm vs my usual 5:30 pm)

Took 2 when I woke up and 2 before my workout again, this time my workout being much earlier so we will see how it goes tonight. Going to try to dose 3mg melatonin.

On the other hand. Bodycomp on alphamax is doing pretty well

(Left photo taken 2 days before alphamax and right pic was taken today.) also diet and training has been on point but I feel somethin

Looking nice and lean man. I definitely find AlphaMax XT helps keep me lean. Have you ever tired tryptophan? It really knocks me out when I want to get to sleep quickly. Also, glycine before bed can help you feel more rested in the morning; it may not help with falling asleep (I'll have to go back and re-read the research), but it has its uses.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Looking nice and lean man. I definitely find AlphaMax XT helps keep me lean. Have you ever tired tryptophan? It really knocks me out when I want to get to sleep quickly. Also, glycine before bed can help you feel more rested in the morning; it may not help with falling asleep (I'll have to go back and re-read the research), but it has its uses.
Thanks man! I'll check it out for sure

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Update! I started taking AXT 4 caps in the morning in hopes that I'd stop waking up at 4am every night. My sleep has definitely been better as a result. But I am no longer am feeling the strength / libido and muscle fullness effects from it. Does it make sense that because I am taking all 4 in the morning, I am not seeing the results that I was within the first two weeks when splitting dosage? Or am I just insane?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Update! I started taking AXT 4 caps in the morning in hopes that I'd stop waking up at 4am every night. My sleep has definitely been better as a result. But I am no longer am feeling the strength / libido and muscle fullness effects from it. Does it make sense that because I am taking all 4 in the morning, I am not seeing the results that I was within the first two weeks when splitting dosage? Or am I just insane?
Glad you're sleeping better. Have you tried splitting up the dosage at all? Instead of taking two caps in the evening, try taking the first two upon waking and the other two around lunch time. The dose timing shouldn't have too much impact on the effectiveness of Alphamax XT, but its better to split up the doses a bit so the product is in your system around the clock.

I typically notice the libido and strength increase around the 3 week mark while using Alphamax XT. Were you using any products previously to starting this?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Follow what these guys are saying. Very good advice. From my personal experience with AlphaMax XT (I'm on it right now as well), is I see great sleep from it. The very first time I dosed it, I took my first dose at 430 AM (when I wake up) and my last dose around 630pm (with/after my post workout meal). I have used it right before sleep a few times and didn't notice any positive or negative benefits to note. You may need to play around with the dosage/timing of it.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
That sucks I generally sleep much deeper on alphamax xt

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Glad you're sleeping better. Have you tried splitting up the dosage at all? Instead of taking two caps in the evening, try taking the first two upon waking and the other two around lunch time. The dose timing shouldn't have too much impact on the effectiveness of Alphamax XT, but its better to split up the doses a bit so the product is in your system around the clock.

I typically notice the libido and strength increase around the 3 week mark while using Alphamax XT. Were you using any products previously to starting this?
Just some standard stuff.

ZMA creatine protein BCAA

enraged_chris

Awards
Many types of ashwaghanda can be stimulating for people. This could definitely be a cause.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I also had trouble sleeping with Alphamax XT, sometimes I happened with just forskolin, so in addition to ashwaghanda, could also be forskolin.
It gave me a sense of agitation, heat ...

I solved this:
2cps of alphamax xt just wake up in the morning, 2cps of alphamax xt 30 minutes preworkout (I train in the afternoon, when I train, always 2cps in the afternoon).

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
I also had trouble sleeping with Alphamax XT, sometimes I happened with just forskolin, so in addition to ashwaghanda, could also be forskolin.
It gave me a sense of agitation, heat ...

I solved this:
2cps of alphamax xt just wake up in the morning, 2cps of alphamax xt 30 minutes preworkout (I train in the afternoon, when I train, always 2cps in the afternoon).
How do you dose on rest days?

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tongkat Ali may also be causing an issue, can cause the sensation of increased energy etc. Generally Ash is pretty calming so it may be Tongkat Ali being more of an issue. Either way, I think upon waking and 6-8 hours later(ie afternoon) should be perfect!