Protein type for Evening / Pre Bed

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
I like to finish my day with a protein shake .. its my only ' shake ' of the day unless i need to bump protein for what ever reason like meetings with work or travelling which is when ill typically dump 2 scoops of whey in some cream of rice or similar ..

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were around protein types ? I currently buy Isolate and isolate only due to digestive benefits and also the fact a lot of WPC or protein blends can upset my stomach ( cause gurgling and flatulence ) examples of proteins that do this are myofusion , syntha 6 , combat .. however there are exceptions .. such as body nutritions trutein or in the UK we have reflex nutrition who have a similar product - uk residents im referring to 3D protein

So my query is .. my usual shake before bed at present is usually 1.5/2 scoops mutant isosurge protein depending on where my numbers are .. in 200mls unsweetened almond milk with ice and 20g natural peanut butter .. i have this around 30 mins pre bed ... would you have any reservations around not using a slower protein at this point or would you consider the peanut butter / coconut oil that i add to the shake sufficient enough to blunt the absorbtion of the isolate slightly resulting in a slower digesting shake ?

Appreciate your thoughts or what you do yourselves - and before anyone says EAT FOOD - my other 4 - 5 meals are solid whole food meals unless its an emergency as previously stated so .. balls to ya i like a nice shake in the evening

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
Whatever you decide, make sure it has at least 40g of Micellar Casein in it:

Interesting read mate but one question i would ask ( which i know i cant )

Were the study subjects untrained before the study , and were their diets that of a typical person which is usually low protein for most .. as this would illicit that type of response maybe ? Obviously the results speak volumes and im not disputing them .. just playing devils advocate .. as for me who has been lifting 6 years ( 2.5 with any means ) .. and eats 5-6 times per day ingesting 230-250gs protein at 3 hour intervals .. i cant imagine it would effect me in the same way! Only one way to find out i guess

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
No idea. I do it because:

A. I'm hungry at night.
B. The Kcals and Macros are a part of my total daily intake anyway.
C. The data above.

So why not?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I used a blend protein and depending on what my daily macro totals are I may take a pre bed shake and I may not. It all depends on the protein and cals I could get from my diet.

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
I always use and recommend a casein shake before bed it helps with my recovery tremendously some of them are pretty thick though is you like a thinner shake i would consider Pes Select its a whey/casein blend and tastes amazing top notch company as well so you know your getting a great product!
https://www.tgbsupplements.com/product/pes-select-protein-4/

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
The 2 I like are BSN Syntha-6 Isolate and Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide.

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
I do have a pre bed shake EVERY DAY as i factor in 50g protein for this meal as i really enjoy it .. my question was more geared towards the benefits of a slow digesting protein or isolate and a fat source ( which i also leave a 10-15g allowance for ) which would ultimately slow down the isolate ?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Yes adding fats will slow the digestion some amount,

Definitely save your $ and don't buy an isolate next time for before bed

I use PEScience Select before bed when I do, which is a studied whey/casein blend that would digest much slower than this. An idea for next time

Casein will digest slower than an isolate + added fat

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Until you find a study showing the same information for Whey, that was researched with Casein, I'd go with Casein. Anything else is a guess/speculation. I don't think even a lot of fat with Whey, would do what a curdled clump of Casein does in the gut. Casein also makes a better 'pudding' = less liquid before bed.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^ exactly

Casein is all kinds of good at being a hassle to digest lol

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
What you see here, is a person making Paneer Cheese from Milk. The Greenish Yellow liquid is Whey after it is heated with an Acid added (Lemon Juice in this case). The stuff in the strainer is the Casein. What would you rather have in your stomach while sleeping, if you wanted a slow trickle of Aminos? :D

Attachments

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Protein timing is less important than total intake. You're not going to go catabolic durring an eight hour period of sleep. Focus on all day nutrition.

I cant stand how poorly casien mixes. Way to clumpy, especially in milk. That is why I wont be using PES Select and going back to a regular 70/30 isolate/concentrate. The added benefit is not worth the displeasure. Especially when I use a carb powder with my one daily shake.

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
Protein timing is less important than total intake. You're not going to go catabolic durring an eight hour period of sleep. Focus on all day nutrition.

I cant stand how poorly casien mixes. Way to clumpy, especially in milk. That is why I wont be using PES Select and going back to a regular 70/30 isolate/concentrate. The added benefit is not worth the displeasure. Especially when I use a carb powder with my one daily shake.
This has been my previous way of thinking too .. was just interested in the pros and cons but i have to agree .. plus it does have some digestive benefit surely of having a clear stomach for 4-5 hours

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This has been my previous way of thinking too .. was just interested in the pros and cons but i have to agree .. plus it does have some digestive benefit surely of having a clear stomach for 4-5 hours
The bottom line is meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period.
Weather you want a protein shake or some whole food before bed is personal preference. Me Personally I eat some form of chicken , steak, turkey, hamburger and some veggies. If you want a shake great that is your call. At the end of the day are you meeting protein intake? Are you alloting your total calories for your goal? That is what matters most, not if you have a whey shake, or some whole food. For most people casein is more expensive per serving, when you could combine a protein source with some vegetables and fat sources both which slow down the digestion of that meal.

I like to do a lot of whole eggs and cheese with diced up peppers and onions, Steak and veggies, Chicken with EVOO + Veggies & Potatoes in a stirfry. If I use whey. I use whey and have a shake which is very rare. If you are anal about the digestion speed then throw in some peanut butter or another fat source of your choice.

The key thing with your protein powder is 1) A brand you enjoy 2) a flavor you enjoy and 3) Making sure it meets label claims and is 3rd party tested.

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Micellar casein is excellent, as is something as simple as cottage cheese.

If you're going the micellar casein route, to mixing it in coconut milk. Protein alone is at risk of being oxidized for fuel, so ingesting some fat with it makes a lot of sense. Coconut milk is rich in MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides), and will serve to spare the aminos from the protein. It also makes sure you don't go to bed on a belly full of carbs (fastest way to shut down your body's biggest surge of GH - first 90 minutes of sleep)..

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if I was going to use a protein pre bed it would be an isolate, maybe add some peanut butter if you really feel like slowing it down is necessary, I don't think it is

but my personal night time cocktail includes, 1 scoop of bcaa's, a scoop of greens supplement, 1g of agmatine, and 1 scoop of fiber

Lee_Westwood

Lee_Westwood

Awards
Ive been doing the 1.5 scoops isolate with 20g nut butter in almond milk .. just wondered what people did .. ive always shyed away from casien due to me thinking ' if im getting a leucine spike .. why do i want a blunted spike drip fed over hours ' lol